cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Down Comforter That Breaks The Camel's Back

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
The two 80# gas struts that comes from the factory can barely hold up a bare mattress. It will not keep the underbed storage stay open once bedding are added. I saw the previous owner had a very thin bed spread on it when I was viewing the TT. It was early spring and the TT was just visiting family down here from up north. I thought nothing of it as ppl live up north might withstand cold weather better than us who live at the wet coast.
My options are either to replace these struts with 100# or 120# rated ones. To decide on which one to use, I use a wood post and a bath scale placed at the C.G. of the bed. The scale shows 98.8#. However, with the two 80# fully extended at an angle of approx. 34 deg. from horizontal, it's about 10# overloaded. I therefore decided to order a pair of 100# struts from Amazon. And the result: see photo attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5zvt1idehn45p1/WP_000441.jpg?dl=0
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller
12 REPLIES 12

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Since we added our adjustable beds and thick memory foam mattresses, we don't even use the space. We gladly traded the storage space for sleeping comfort. I have thought about putting in a door on the side of the compartment. It wouldn't be too difficult. Maybe when the wife makes me replace her manual adjustable bed with an electric one, I'll add the door as well.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

Jacksons
Explorer
Explorer
2 80lb struts should hold up 160 pounds
2002 Rockwood 8272s
2005 Yukon xl Denali 6.0
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
TKW wrote:
The two 80# gas struts that comes from the factory can barely hold up a bare mattress. It will not keep the underbed storage stay open once bedding are added. I saw the previous owner had a very thin bed spread on it when I was viewing the TT. It was early spring and the TT was just visiting family down here from up north. I thought nothing of it as ppl live up north might withstand cold weather better than us who live at the wet coast.
My options are either to replace these struts with 100# or 120# rated ones. To decide on which one to use, I use a wood post and a bath scale placed at the C.G. of the bed. The scale shows 98.8#. However, with the two 80# fully extended at an angle of approx. 34 deg. from horizontal, it's about 10# overloaded. I therefore decided to order a pair of 100# struts from Amazon. And the result: see photo attached.

I had a similar problem with a previous TT. I moved the "lower" mounting brackets (the brackets that attach to the platform base) a few inches toward the foot of the bed and the problem was solved. The struts had plenty of capacity, but were just installed incorrectly.

Given you need to support 98.8 #'s and your original struts should have been able to support a total of 160 #'s, maybe yours were just installed incorrectly too.

I know this suggestion is too late to help you, but maybe it will be useful to others.

If you think about it, the 98.8# number I got is a downward force perpendicular to the floor. The 160# rated struts are at 34 deg from horizontal, per factory design, which will only give you an upward resistance of roughly 90#. It is good enough for leaving the dealership with a bare mattress but underdesigned in my book. Moving the pivot point a few inches may help by improving the angle of attack but the distance you can move is limited by the retracted length of the strut. My new struts only costed $20. It saved me from rebuilding the bed frame.
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Talk about a heavy mattress.....

Going FT we chucked the OEM RV Queen and replaced it with a Full Size Queen TempurPedic mattress.

Struts held it up no problem.........and 11 yrs later STILL hold up bed platform and new RV Queen mattress.

Hummmmmmmmmm. Guess NUWA used the right ones from the beginning
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Gosh, our struts open hard and close like a guillotine. They are so stout they pulled the bed frame from the wall; of course the fine craftsmanship that used only two small mounting screws did not help. 🙂 🙂

I would suggested new struts.

Drive safe

After a year, the screws all pulled out of the section that lifts. I tried replacing, and it did the same again. I ended up reinforcing the plywood with heavier 1x4's so the screws had something to actually "bite" into. Then did the same for the part the hinge mounts to on the frame area. Then used longer more stout screws. Of course, this added even more weight. But they've not pulled out since. The stick work very well to hold it open.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
I just cut a piece of dowel to length and use it as a support stick. Works for me.

2x... except I just use a old broom handle stick cut to length.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
TKW wrote:

I had a similar problem with a previous TT. I moved the "lower" mounting brackets (the brackets that attach to the platform base) a few inches toward the foot of the bed and the problem was solved. The struts had plenty of capacity, but were just installed incorrectly.

Given you need to support 98.8 #'s and your original struts should have been able to support a total of 160 #'s, maybe yours were just installed incorrectly too.

I know this suggestion is too late to help you, but maybe it will be useful to others.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Gosh, our struts open hard and close like a guillotine. They are so stout they pulled the bed frame from the wall; of course the fine craftsmanship that used only two small mounting screws did not help. 🙂 🙂

I would suggested new struts.

Drive safe
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I just cut a piece of dowel to length and use it as a support stick. Works for me.

X2
I'm not in there enough for it to be a issue.

X3
Well don’t even use a support as with slide unit under bed storage is limited usually just a quick grab, although better since I extended the mattress platform.

The platform was designed for an RV Queen, the PO had either ordered with a res queen, or changed out later. That meant the platform was about 4” to 6” short. I extended by replacing the panel at the head of the bed with one 4” longer, and moved the section at the foot down the 4”, requiring moving all the strut attachments. The result is the struts support the bed better.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad

X2
I'm not in there enough for it to be a issue.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer

DocP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip and picture. I upgraded the RV mattress and the current struts cannot support the weight, so new struts are definitely on my to-do list.
Michael & Anne
Retired and loving it!
Macedonia, OH