cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

which 30 amp surge protector to buy?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ok, wife and daughter use the MH 90% of the time ,which SP would be easy for them to use. and understand.
13 REPLIES 13

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If convenience is what you want - permanent installed unit. Whether it's permanent or otherwise both you and your spouse/daughter are going to have to figure out how to use it.
Kevin

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
I had a EMS-PT30C that I used for awhile. I secured it by running a cable lock through the locking tab and under the conduit to the power box. Most of the power boxes will close fully with the plug in it and if they had a hasp then I would put a small padlock on the box.

There was a lot of discussion on the fact that the plug to the camper would be exposed to the weather. I wasn't overly worried about that but I had a neighbor cover his with a trash bag. His theory was people might wonder why the bag was over it but likely wouldn't look and it would keep it dry. He liked my idea of the cable lock and used mine while I used my padlock. And I converted to his trash bag idea too. Besides in camping in the wet side of Oregon coudn't hurt.

X2 here on our unit. Same thing for me on a lock and key to secure to power post. Not that I don't trust people, but....Also chose a portable unit as I can use it on other units if I change without adding expense to new purchase.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I had a EMS-PT30C that I used for awhile. I secured it by running a cable lock through the locking tab and under the conduit to the power box. Most of the power boxes will close fully with the plug in it and if they had a hasp then I would put a small padlock on the box.

There was a lot of discussion on the fact that the plug to the camper would be exposed to the weather. I wasn't overly worried about that but I had a neighbor cover his with a trash bag. His theory was people might wonder why the bag was over it but likely wouldn't look and it would keep it dry. He liked my idea of the cable lock and used mine while I used my padlock. And I converted to his trash bag idea too. Besides in camping in the wet side of Oregon coudn't hurt.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a portable SP and keep/use it while it was in the basement compartment of my class A and ran another cord from it out to the post. kept the compartment locked to avoid theft. same as MDKMDK does
bumpy

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Each to his own, I guess.
I prefer to hide/conceal valuable ($233 + tax) items wherever possible, rather than display them for the five finger discount crew. Out of sight, out of mind.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Build it in as Dick_B says.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The hard wired one Like This has a remote display so you can always see what is going on.

Will not walk away or be forgotten when leaving campsite like the plug in ones. Also easy to install,watch video in ad.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I prefer to use an autoformer and hybrid inverter/charger. I do check any shore power I plan to connect to before plugging in.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
I was planning on going with this one...
Surge Protector

I also have an extra 25 foot 30A power extension cord. I plan to plug the attached 30A power cord that comes with the motorhome into this unit, and use the extension cord to run from the surge protector inside the locked storage compartment to the campground power post. That way, I don't have to install or hard wire it, because it will be inside the locked compartment, and no one will know it's in there, unless they bream into it looking for something else of value.

That's a good one.

I would NOT add an extension cord to it though just to shove it back into the compartment.

Power surge protector plugs into pedestal,
plugged into your power cord.
Lock goes over protector coming from the pedestal.

There are a plethora of power surge protector "locks" available.
etrailer and camco sells them.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I was planning on going with this one...
Surge Protector

I also have an extra 25 foot 30A power extension cord. I plan to plug the attached 30A power cord that comes with the motorhome into this unit, and use the extension cord to run from the surge protector inside the locked storage compartment to the campground power post. That way, I don't have to install or hard wire it, because it will be inside the locked compartment, and no one will know it's in there, unless they bream into it looking for something else of value.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you build one in there isn't much to understand as it works by itself and it's not going to develop legs and walk away.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
The same one that would be easy for you to use and understand.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
2 pages of Surge in heading posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman