cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front end Cover Jeep Wrangler

oxt127
Explorer
Explorer
My parents tow a Jeep Wrangler behind their class B. They are looking to better protect the front of the jeep as they took a lot of stone hits this past summer and took out every lite on the front. they have a full cover under the RV bumper, same material as heavy truck mud flaps and while I'm sure it protected some it obviously failed in performance.
They are open to suggestions for changes to the RV and adding protection the the front of the jeep while being towed.
2006 Ford F-350 Diesel CCLB

2016 CrossRoads Z-1 ZT272BH
8 REPLIES 8

oxt127
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting about the full flap being more of a problem. Also of note he has a roller bar under the trailer hitch that makes it difficult to attach something like the wiskers. Right now the full flap has a notch cut in the bottom so it doesn't fold under the roller. While traveling together with my uncle with a similar set up they had no damage but lots of dirt with a wisker skirt.
2006 Ford F-350 Diesel CCLB

2016 CrossRoads Z-1 ZT272BH

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I use protect-a-tow. Only bad part was mounting hardware was not stainless. Upgraded with stainless

http://protectatow.tripod.com

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Alaska with the prior MH using flaps behind the tires only. No toad damage. What we did get were a few hits on the toad doors which I attribute to gravel from opposing traffic.

The new rig has the full width advertisement under the rear which I will remove before we head to Canada. Flaps behind the duals will remain.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
I towed our Jeep JK for the first time this past Oct from central Florida to N. Ga, and then over to Gadsden Ala , and back with no issues. I was very concerned about scratches / chips / dents prior to leaving, but it was no issue the entire trip!

My C class only has the flaps behind the wheels, so as the others have wrote, maybe the issue they had was caused by the large flap ? Or terrible highways ?
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the posts about removing a full width rear flap, but if you still want effective protection from road debris hitting the toad, take a look at the Protect-A-Tow. We've found it keeps the front of the car cleaner as well as protected, and it even keeps the back of our coach cleaner.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

talotto
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with John Wayne. I tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 down but removed the full width flap and only have flaps behind the rear dual tires. The full flap created so much turbulence it kicked up debris both behind the motorhome as well as upward into the rear radiator/turbo air cooler assembly.
KG5PDS
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2004 HD Heritage Softail
2016 Jeep Wrangler
College Station, TX

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I bought something like this HD poly mesh tarp, only smaller, ours is 6' by 8'. The one we bought was black and the mesh part was fairly thick to begin with.

Mesh Tarp Towed Nose Cover

We fold it along the 6 foot axis to make it 4' by 6' wide for extra thickness. It's got brass grommets every 2 feet, and we secure it to the nose of our Wrangler using bungee cords.
I place one 6' edge down front covering the fog lamps (will be just above the tow bar knuckles and connections) and secure it around and underneath the wheel wells with one set of bungee cords. Then we pull/stretch the opposite 6' edge up and over the hood, and use some more bungee cords to secure it to the mirrors, or wherever else I can, to keep it secure when underway.
Caveat: I haven't tested it in actual towing yet, as we're between motorhomes, but have installed it on the Jeep, and driven at highway speeds with it in place, and it does stay put. You can actually see the Wrangler lights through the mesh, even when folded in half, although I wouldn't use it at night.
Sorry, I don't have any pics. I'm fairly confident it will give us some additional coverage of the nose, grill, and the lights. It probably won't protect the windshield, unless we unfold it, and use it at it's full coverage area. Maybe in the future, if necessary. It's all experimental at this point.
Total cost, C$45 for the tarp, and a few more dollars for the bungee cords.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, we pulled our Wrangler behind a WGO Sunstar over 4600 miles last October with no problems, and we had neither rear wheel mud flaps, or a full width rear skirt. No damage problems, except the road dirt and grime on the face of the Jeep and the butt of the Sunstar.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
I'd bet they would have less stone chips if they took the the full flap off the back of the class B and just put flaps behind the tires. If that big flap is close to the ground that's what is kicking up all stuff that's hitting the front of the Jeep.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH