cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steer Tires

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used steer tires on their diesel pusher? Mine came with the same tires on the front and rear, 295/75R22.5. Got a quote for tires on my MH at Speedco and they specified "steer" tires on the front.
9 REPLIES 9

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO a steer tire needs a decoupling grove approx 3/8" in from either edge. If the G670 had them they would not have the rivering problems. I look at the tires on tour buses and all I've looked at had 22.5 tires.

PS: I slept at a Holiday Inn a couple years ago.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
The "steer tires" Speedco showed me had a drastically different tread design than the drive tires. They had a ribbed tread. The tires on my MH are load range H. Unfortunately they are Goodyear G670RV which have a bad habit of wearing unevenly on the front and creating shaking at any speed. That's why I'm looking at a different tire mfgrs now. I've seen a lot of tour busses with ribbed tires on the front but most of them are larger sizes than 22.5.

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO 99% of Class A units do not need an aggressive tread design on in any position, therefore on mine I use the same premium tire on front and rear
axles; in a tread design generally considered "steer tire"

Would use steer on front and M&S on rear if I got off the road onto gravel or muddy roads, but just never do that.

"40 years in the tire industry; seen it all and done most of it"

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Steer tires do not have an aggressive tread deign, they do not have a lug type tread and also do not qualify as an all season tire. In some circles, they might be called a summer tire. Recaps are an entirely different discussion.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy as it seems Federal Law will allow recaps on the steer of a commercial vehicle. Just not on a passenger carrying one.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IN the land of SEMI TRUCKS (And other commercial rides) the Steering tires must be what I call "First use" and NOT Retreads or recaps.

Drive and Trailer tires can be Recaps... Far as I know that is the only difference. and for a motor home I would avoid recaps.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Many people all any tire on the front axle steer tires because the front axle is the steer axle. We also have a drive axle and a tag axle. We happen to use the same tire on our steer and tag axles, but a different size on our drive axle.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Just use tires not classified M/S for Mud Snow.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Vast majority of RV's have "steer tires" (i.e. no aggressive/LOUD tread) on ALL wheels.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/