cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware Directtv Genie2

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
I was having problems with my genie 1 setup at home, When I called customer service they told me I was eligible for a free upgrade to the new Genie 2.The installer was on site in 2 days with necessary equipment.After doing all installation work including going up on the roof we were talking to customer svc to activate when she started asking about the equipment listed in THEIR system that is in the RV.
When I explained what it was I was told this Equip(HR24 & D10-300) could not be listed on the same account as the Genie 2,Only way to make it work would be to put RV equip on separate acct.(more $$$).
I refused the upgrade I felt sorry for the installer, he had to deinstall equip, but no way am I paying more for TV.
13 REPLIES 13

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure exactly of models but I have Genie whole home DVR and HD in the house with a main box and a slave box. I have had it about 3 years. IN the RV I have a old Standard Def Reciever that must be about 10 years old with a old 3 headed dish. All same account.
Thinking about upgrading the RV to HD but don't want to lug around the larger HD Dish. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Genie Gen 3 in the S&B and an H21 and an H24 in the MH. DTV has them all on same account.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
The H24 receiver heโ€™s got in the RV has zero to do with the Genie system... I fail to understand why DTV would do that... whether the Genie 2 in the House is on or off has nada to do with the system 8n the RV... itโ€™s got its own ID card, etc and own antenna...

I have the Genie 1 system in house and an HR24 receiver with King Quest dish in RV... I too was told I was eligible for free upgrade to newest Genie system.. I asked what the enhancements were and the main thing 8 could f8nd out was it gives me 4K and some other new high res ****..Oh they also told me that soon all PPV broadcasts would reupquire the latest Genie 2..

None of my TVs in house are 4K and I see no sense in replacing Tv.. I declined..

Also of note is if you have replacement insurance on equipment ...which I do.. the cost would increase another 10 to 15 bucks for t(e newest gear...another hidden increase...

Iโ€™ll continue with DTV for now since Iโ€™ve been with them for many years.. But if my gear in the RV becomes obsolete Iโ€™ll drop it all..

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
wow! I was thinking of going back to directv. my dish equipment is about as good as the radios used in WWll, totally unreliable. so slow to gain channels and works as fast as a sloth.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
filrupmark wrote:
We have Direct TV and would like to cut the cord but DW likes the dvr. Are there over the air DVR,s available. We mainly watch network TV.
AT&T and Direct TV have a way of making my blood boil by raising rates anytime the want to .

Yes there are OTA DVRs... I don't have a specific one to recommend.

When I cut the cord I gave up on network tv entirely.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
I went to cable in my RV. Only problem is it disconects every time I go around a curve.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Genei IIs also must stay at home. No taking it with you when traveling

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We have Direct TV and would like to cut the cord but DW likes the dvr. Are there over the air DVR,s available. We mainly watch network TV.
AT&T and Direct TV have a way of making my blood boil by raising rates anytime the want to .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œyou will have to give up on some comfortable old showsโ€

I Love Lucy? Leave It to Beaver? The Lone Ranger? NO NO. I canโ€™t do it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
X2 cancel and don't go back. The traditional providers are feeling the pain. Every year cable and satellite are bleeding customers faster than adding them.

It's not easy to cut the cord, you will have to give up on some comfortable old shows that mainstream media uses as bait to lure you back in.

Give up on those shows, you'll forget about them eventually. Find new favorites, the production quality doesn't match mainstream yet but it's increasing quickly.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Stand your ground..

but yes, some hardware upgrades do not work with older equipment..

Thank you for informing us..

fyi,, my Genie had a major software upgrade this am.... auto-update...
but my Genie goes from home to travel trailer... I have 2 genie antennas..

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
F-TROUP wrote:
We should all canx tv accts for one month and bring them to their knees.

One month won't do it if they know you'll be back.

I cancelled my cable about 5 years ago and have never regretted it. Over the air tv, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and pbs website give me everything I need.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
We should all canx tv accts for one month and bring them to their knees.