cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do i need to add.

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting a new 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax in March. I am planning on adding a turbo temp and boost gauges to the truck. What else do I need to add and why? I have had 2 Duramaxs in the past and have put well over 300K miles on them. The only add ons I ever done were the 2 gauges.
20 REPLIES 20

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
grizz272 wrote:
My biggest concern is shutting the engine off when the turbo is still to hot from pulling a 13K lb fifth wheel.

Wait 5 minutes then shut it down. Under normal driving I never let my truck idle before shutting it down. When towing 33-35K I never shut the truck down from stating the trip to finishing.

Now my 98 Cummins that was a different animal.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need to add anything, I have an 07 lbz, last summer I pushed it for nine miles up the salmo creston, with my 10500 lb fifth. I held the pedal to the floor, waited for it to defuel, but the truck wouldn't let me abuse it, even tried manually shifting down, but the truck wouldn't allow it, just kept on pulling. Never slowed, never hurt anything, came away completely impressed, I'll never sell this truck.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
My biggest concern is shutting the engine off when the turbo is still to hot from pulling a 13K lb fifth wheel.

I've ran turbo's since 1980. Most were on gas engines and they would get 3 to 4x's as hot as a diesel. They were also oil cooled only and sleeve bearing and not the fancy oil/water cooled ball bearing units they have now.

I have never lost a turbo to heat. I would run it like a normal truck engine. I would get to where I was going and turned the engine off. Even at 1000 degrees F. No problems at all.

As some of the more informed posters have said, put some fuel in your truck and go on vacation.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 18 DMax 3500 I don't see the need unless your just interested to know. I put an Edge Insight system in my 06 that monitors all of that. I have not seen the need to do it on the newer trucks. If you are going to do the gauges I would do the Edge Insight CTS2. It is clean, informative and can do other things. I have to watch the 06 when pulling heavy, so for that truck it is helpful. I stopped tuning the Duramax after the LBZ. Like said, these new trucks will let you know if the they are going to get hurt somehow. However if it is what you want to do, go with the Edge CTS.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the gauges. ADD fuel and go camp!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
An extended warranty.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Why add more gauges on a new Duramax 3500? They are so sophisticated, and computer driven, even if you have gauges, the computer will over ride anything, and worst case scenario, shut the machine down. Besides, adding anything or altering anything (could) affect your warranty.

The DIC (Digital Information Center) has so many different built in gauges already, it takes a flight engineer to keep up on them all.

Personally, I'd skip the time, effort, and money to install those gauges and take that time, effort, and money and go camping.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Try some fuzzy dice to hang on the rearview mirror.

Another, "best answer."

Your new truck will be , Like Seen on TV. "Set it and forget it."
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy a OBDII bluetooth device ($20 or less) and read the virtual gauge on your phone mounted on the dash.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Why would you add anything to a truck that is smarter than anyone on this forum?

Best answer!:B

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
grizz272 wrote:
I am getting a new 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax in March. I am planning on adding a turbo temp and boost gauges to the truck. What else do I need to add and why? I have had 2 Duramaxs in the past and have put well over 300K miles on them. The only add ons I ever done were the 2 gauges.

You don't need that stuff anymore. You'll see when you get that 2018 Dmax

That's right. In stock configuration, computer won't let you get out of the specified paramaters. Usually we add extra gauges when we're doing other aftermarket mods to things like the intake, turbo, injectors, etc. On these new trucks, it's just not necessary anymore. My new duramax does not have EGT or boost. Even if you did add the gauges, you're very limited in what you can do about any perceived problems as a result of the readings because the computers are so locked down.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you need to put those gauges in the vehicle aren't they already in the dash?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:

You don't need that stuff anymore. You'll see when you get that 2018 Dmax
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"