cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Toy Hauler Seeking Advice

jeffh1165
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone - my wife and I are starting to look for our first toy hauler. To accommodate our driveway, we're limited in size to under 30 feet long and no more than 8 feet wide. We would like the bedroom area to be a separate room if possible. We have two Harley Davidsons - a Street Glide and a Softail Fat Boy that we will be carrying. Any advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much!! Jeff
3 REPLIES 3

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed with just taking your time and researching. We didn't do that with our first hauler, just sorta bought the first one that looked OK on the lot. We paid too much for it, and after using it a few times we realized it wasn't going to work long term for us. With our current 5er, we researched for well over a year and looked at every possible model in all price ranges that fit our criteria before making a decision.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
First, I would recommend one that has a separate garage, a front bed you can access both sides, 1/2 bath off the garage is handy, the new 4 point elec level-up. Two Harleys will easily fit in an 8ft by 10ft garage staggered with one about a foot behind the other. Many models and floorplans out there, the internet being your best friend. I looked online, went to factories and went to RV shows for 2 yrs before we made our purchase. I actually didn't care for Keystone at all and vowed I'd never own one but now here I is! Personally though there's lots of good things from Keystone as far as either a 2 or 3 yr warranty and good service from what I have read. A local dealer can be a good thing also. Don't be in a rush, visit forums for the different brands and see whats being said about the different models. From what I've read, and some may disagree is that you tend to have more issues with the lower end models so keep that in mind. That doesn't mean you have to drop big money to get a good RV as in reality the quality control on most all of them stink. As I mentioned though take your time search the internet, check your local dealers, rv shows and any forums you can visit as guests and you'll get better knowledge on the different RVs. Sorry to carry on so long! Lol!
Also just to add that is to make sure your truck can safely handle what your looking at unless you can upgrade that if necessary. I looked at a couple models of Impacts made by Keystone, the 330 and the 332 I think that may work for you. You will also need a good quality WD hitch also for an RV of that size.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of floor-plans out there to accommodate your requirements. 30 ft seems a bit long; You may want to check that you can place both motorcycles next to each other inside the Toy Hauler AND be able to strap them down. I have 2 dirt bikes that fit inside my TH but it's awkward to strap them down.

You may have to stagger your bikes - make sure the floor tie-down will accommodate.
Gerry