cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

only 1/2 of the AC outlets have power

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
50 amp service, plugged into shore power. Only about 1/2 of the AC (110) outlets have power. I have a power surge protector and it tells me I'm getting power to the motor home from both sides. Tried the inverter and still only certain outlets have power. One thing I've notice is, two outlets are GFI's. One is powering up, the other GFI has no power. Tried to reset it, and nothing, it won't click, just push in the button and it springs back out. I don't know much about AC power, but I'm thinking since that GFI is bad, that it is acting as a breaker to the outlets where I'm not getting power.........is my reasoning correct or is there something else going on? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Brian
11 REPLIES 11

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your breakers and GFIs. Do not replace the GFI duplex receptacles with standard duplexes.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
We had the same issue, it was a faulty GFI. Changed that and everything was back to good.

X2
These RV GFI's go bad all the time.

I even had one that the button would reset and showed it working but in actuality it was a faulty GFI. Replaced it and voila I had power to the outlets that were not working.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. Easiest fix yet !! It was a tripped breaker on the invertor. Thanks again.
Brian

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
What can I buy to check the wires at the outlet to see if I'm getting power to there?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Yes have reset both main breakers. Are the inverter breakers on the invertex itself? I will check inverter.

Bruce_Brown
We had the same issue, it was a faulty GFI. Changed that and everything was back to good.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Some GFCI outlets WILL NOT reset if they have NO 120 input power. So, you need to verify that you have 120 power to the GFCI that will not reset. Since you are not familiar with AC systems, it would be best to get a professional or someone that is familiar with AC systems to help you out. Doug

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
X3 on once you find your inverter (usually on the ceiling of a bay), reset the two breakers. Often you cannot run a 1500w heater on that circuit.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
On your breaker pannel have you made sure that both of the main breakers are set.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you say that you tried the inverter, does that mean that you reset both of the circuit breakers on your inverter?

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Gfi needs voltage to test or reset.

Very likely one of the two breakers on your inverter.

Common problem.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008