cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Wilkes-Barre to Freeport

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Since I updated my original posting and changed my route to allow DW to visit the Quilt Museum in Lowell, I figured to be more clear and not confuse the nice folks trying to help, I'd start a new thread.

We are going up Rt.15 to I-81 stopping over in Wilkes-Barre. Our next stop is at Boston Minuteman CG in Littleton, Mass., near Lowell. From there we are traveling to Freeport, Maine, to visit L.L. Bean (staying at Cedar haven CG). Then off to Bar Harbor for a week.

I'm interested in tapping local knowledge of the best routes from Wilkes-Barre to Littleton and Littleton to Freeport.

Thanks for all the help so far,
Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
12 REPLIES 12

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
You might want to send him/her a PM, because the odds of this getting her/his attention all these months later are probably slim. But I've been wrong before. 🙂

Thanks, I'll do that.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

dedmiston
'tiredTeacher wrote:
K Charles wrote:
84 - 691 - 91 - 84 - 90 - 495 fest you to Littleton.

I hope this thread bump gets your attention. For some reason Google Maps has me getting off 84 onto Rt. 6 (exit30)then back on 84 near Milford, PA. It won't let me "force" its routing to stay on 84. Anything going on I84 near the border with NJ?

You might want to send him/her a PM, because the odds of this getting her/his attention all these months later are probably slim. But I've been wrong before. 🙂

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:

I hope this thread bump gets your attention. For some reason Google Maps has me getting off 84 onto Rt. 6 (exit30)then back on 84 near Milford, PA. It won't let me "force" its routing to stay on 84. Anything going on I84 near the border with NJ?
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
290 through Worchester has been fixed somewhat and we take it if it isn't drive time for workers. Evening traffic might make me stay on 90.
691 is better road, less exits and not any further distance the 84 thru Hartford. I would never go thru Hartford if I didn't have to.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife is a avid quilter, had to go to Lowell, museum was a disappointment. Heading to Paducah this spring. Bar Harbor is always great.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
mkc wrote:
290 runs through Worchester, Mass and can get pretty congested at times. We've done it twice but prefer to stay on 90 all the way to 495.
The suggested 84-691-91-84 loops around Hartford, while staying on 84 goes right through.

Now that's good to know. The distance/time is about the same.

Thanks,
Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:

2) Another member suggested taking 290 to cut the corner over to 495. Your thoughts?

290 runs through Worchester, Mass and can get pretty congested at times. We've done it twice but prefer to stay on 90 all the way to 495.

The suggested 84-691-91-84 loops around Hartford, while staying on 84 goes right through. Have not taken the loop ourselves as we typically do NYS Thruway to Masspike, but we did 84 for the first time in years last summer and hated going through Hartford. We'd consider the bypass if we did happen to be on that route in the future.
2017 LTV Unity

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:

May I ask two questions? 1) Why get off 84 on 691/91 as an alternate to just staying on 84?
2) Another member suggested taking 290 to cut the corner over to 495. Your thoughts?
I always assume folks have reasons for their preferences and these don't show up on maps.

Teach

PS Make that 3 questions. How much of Rt.1 from Freeport to Bar Harbor is worth/advisable to drive?
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks mucho guys.
Stay tuned. I'll need help getting from Freeport to Center Harbor, NH, then on to Saratoga Springs. I'll start a new thread for that segment of the trip.

Thanks again,
Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Littleton, Mass., near Lowell.

Just a head's up, it might only be 15 miles but it can take you anywhere from 20 minutes to easily an hour or two. Just make sure you plan enough time.

Clouddriver is correct-just go north on 495-it dead ends at 95 in NH. Take 95 north to 295 and take one of the three exits that go to Freeport. There are signs.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
From Littleton get back on I495 to I95. We get off I95 at exit 44 just south of Portland and take I295 north. Alternate with a bit more toll is to stay on I95 to exit 52 to I295. I295 exit 20 or 22 for Freeport.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer