cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Humidity during long term storage

okoboji_fan
Explorer
Explorer
Do humidity levels differ from vehicles stored outside than those stored inside in a unheated building during winter months?
5 REPLIES 5

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ctilsie242 wrote:
RVs are not 100% hermetically sealed, so I do like using some form of dehumidification when storing. That, or keep a set of windows open. I keep a side window open and the top vent when storing my rig in covered storage, just to keep air moving.

The best way I've seen a rig stored was with covered storage, a box made of filters over the top air vent, and the fan there turned on, in reverse, so air got sucked into the filter box and into the rig. This caused a positive pressure, which would keep insects out as mitigate dust. Of course, this was all under a pole barn, so rain couldn't get in.

The neighbor put his 5th wheel in inside storage and left a window open. A raccoon got into it through the open window and lived in it.. If that wasn't bad enough it was a female racoon and she had babies inside it on the bed. Thankfully his insurance covered this and they totaled it out.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
I store my T/T under a carport. we have a long damp winter with extreme temperature changes. and with the roof vent open it would get condensation around the vent and inside of the windows. a small dehumidifier and closing the vents cured the problem. the trailer is nice and dry all the time and smells fresh and new.
Jay D.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are not 100% hermetically sealed, so I do like using some form of dehumidification when storing. That, or keep a set of windows open. I keep a side window open and the top vent when storing my rig in covered storage, just to keep air moving.

The best way I've seen a rig stored was with covered storage, a box made of filters over the top air vent, and the fan there turned on, in reverse, so air got sucked into the filter box and into the rig. This caused a positive pressure, which would keep insects out as mitigate dust. Of course, this was all under a pole barn, so rain couldn't get in.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think so.

I store my TT at home in a machine shed and there are times when the sun comes out that it will drip water (condensation) from the inside of the shed roof onto the camper. But, since the camper is closed up it seems to make no difference.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
With no source of humidity inside the vehicle or the building, no.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman