cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

U.S. Chicken still a no no ?

Baxtersparents
Explorer
Explorer
I can't seem to find this info anywhere so hopefully someone can help/answer my question please ?

I want to bring home U.S.chicken breasts back home into Canada , is it still a no no ?

We'll be coming back through Orville/Osoyoos.

Thanks for any help !
17 REPLIES 17

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Poultry has been ok for some time now. We shop in the US (Plattsburgh NY) and bring chicken back without an issue.

Having said this, the regulations can change at a moments notice, so it is best to call the Canada Customs folks; they are always very helpful.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Well as I understand there are no chickens in Canada cus they all went South, they are Snow Birds!

navegator

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I guess some people like the 20% "solution" in US chicken breasts that isn't in Canadian chickens.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
Poultry was a nono both ways across the border in 2015/2016 due to Avian flu outbreaks on both sides of the border. No meat , no eggs. I remember they had to kill off several large chicken farms and then disinfect the barns, down around the London area.
Then there was a smaller problem and we couldn't bring chicken North if it came from, I think, 3 different states.
Brian

Interesting. Don't recall it at all, and have been crossing the border weekly since 2012. Not once have we been asked specifically about poultry, on either side, and never about other meats, as long as they're all inspected, processed, and packaged.

Found this for the curious.
Don't count your chickens.....
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Poultry was a nono both ways across the border in 2015/2016 due to Avian flu outbreaks on both sides of the border. No meat , no eggs. I remember they had to kill off several large chicken farms and then disinfect the barns, down around the London area.
Then there was a smaller problem and we couldn't bring chicken North if it came from, I think, 3 different states.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
Are McNuggets even chicken?

Yes, about 5% chicken, 10% preservatives, 85% space age copolymer.

It's sometimes hard to tell what has a higher poultry content. The McNugget or the toy in the happy meal LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are McNuggets even chicken?
Puma 30RKSS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:
hahahahahahahahah

I thought I saw Foghorn Leghorn roaming the border crossings, looking for Canadians with I say I say I say, contraband chickens. That boy's dumber than a sack of hammers, I say, I say.....

This thread pushes one into deep thought.

I have been pondering what happens to the free range chicken in Sweet Grass Montana who decides to range north? I've had enough of this and will be petitioning my elected officials for 5500 miles of chicken wire.

While we're on the subject, leave our chicken pot pies alone too. You can however have all the Mcnuggets you care to tote back up there.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, WHY???? Don't they have chickens in Canada?
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html#_s19a
CBSA/CFIA links

Just click your way into the CFIA website from this one. It's got the lists and descriptions of what's allowed. As I suggested earlier on, if it's processed and packaged in the USA, and inspected by the FDA/USDA, you're good to go, up to 20kgs per person.

"Meat and poultry products (for example, jerky, sausages, deli meats and patties, foie gras)

up to 20 kilograms per person
packages must have identifying marks, indicating what the product is
proof of country of origin may be required

Meat and poultry: fresh, frozen and chilled

up to 20 kilograms per person
one turkey per person
packages must have identifying marks, indicating what the product is
proof of country of origin may be required

Please note: Within this limit on meat, the CBSA may have specific requirements.

Please consult the CBSA website for further information."

The CBSA warning just says to declare everything or face penalties. We usually just declare the $ value and whether we have groceries or dry goods, clothing, etc. and they decide the next move. Pass through, or secondary inspection. 99% of the time we pass through.

Just curious. Why did you think poultry was forbidden? We've been crossing the border regularly for 10 years and have never been refused importing anything, chickens included.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

Baxtersparents
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman.. Thanks for the link BUT I'm wanting to take it BACK into CANADA, not the other way around.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Always finger licking good....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
hahahahahahahahah

I thought I saw Foghorn Leghorn roaming the border crossings, looking for Canadians with I say I say I say, contraband chickens. That boy's dumber than a sack of hammers, I say, I say.....

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
**** straight it's still a no no. You Canadians don't seem to remember the last time you were stealing US chickens, and we had to send General Rutherford B. Hayes and Colonel Harland Sanders up there to teach you all a lesson in 1829 eh? Go ahead, keep it up.