cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remotely viewing DirecTV dvr?

dedmiston
I thought I heard/saw an ad that said you could view your recorded programs remotely from your PC or mobile. I don't see any way to do this on the DirecTV website or app. Is this possible, or am I just imagining it?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
27 REPLIES 27

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
So I have a little bit more info about this than before. Evidently they are working on enabling this feature (viewing DVR content remotely via laptop).

DirecTV Chat Seesion wrote:
AT&T : Hello! How may I help you today?

Lucas : Hello Dave, welcome to AT&T/DIRECTV Customer Service, my name is

Lucas, I am very happy to assist you today and I hope you are having a great day so far.

Dave : Good morning. Can you tell me how to view my DVR recordings from my laptop? I can see them on my iPhone and my tablet, but I can't figure out how to see my DVR recordings on my laptop.

Lucas : Just to make sure we are on the same page, you are chatting because you want to know how to watch your recordings from your laptop, Am I correct ?

Lucas : Good morning Dave

Dave : Yes. That's correct.

Lucas : Thanks for confirming

Lucas : While l review your account, May I have a contact number so that we may reach you by phone or text with information about your AT&T services ?

Dave : 661-313-2397. But please don't contact me with sales calls.

Lucas : Not a problem

Lucas : I am still working on your request in order to give you the most accurate information about this, I really appreciate your time

Lucas : Dave please follow this link https://support.directv.com/streaming-dtv/3890

Lucas : and let me know if it worked please

Lucas : there is all the information you need. I really want to help you out

Dave : I don't want to watch On Demand movies. I want to watch the content that I recorded to my DVR at home.

Lucas : this one specifically https://support.directv.com/mobile/3891

Lucas : for laptop

Lucas : that is the same dave

Dave : I don't think so.

Dave : Where do I view my list of recordings?

Lucas : Dave if you are inside the house you can it. if you are on your laptop but outside the house you cannot do it

Dave : But I can see the content on my iPhone or tablet when I am away from home. Why not on my laptop?

Dave : That doesn't make sense. If I'm home, I'll just watch it on the TV.

Lucas : Yes Dave that is the information our system displays, it is out of my reach. let me know how can I help you and I will do it right away

Dave : Can I escalate my question?

Lucas : Dave it is gonna be the same answer

Lucas : because I have double check it with my supervisor and there is no possibility to watch your recordings from laptop if you are not inside the house

Dave : It's worth a try. This is how positive change comes about.
Lucas : Ok I will set up the escalation. you will receive the answer within 7 to 10 business days

Dave : I need to find out why though. I pay a lot of money for DirecTV and AT&T. This seems very strange.

Lucas : Absolutely

Dave : This chat has been unhelpful. Is there a feedback survey?

Lucas : Please stay with me during the whole process

Lucas : Dave why you say that I want to help you. the information regarding your request is you cannot watch recordings from the laptop if you are not inside the house

Jennifer : Hello, my name is Jennifer. I noticed that you were speaking to another representative. Please bear with me for a moment while I review your previous interaction , and I will be happy to assist you further.

Dave : Thank you Jennifer. And good morning.

Jennifer : Hi Dave.

Jennifer : I understand that you want to see your recordings in your laptop.

Dave : Yes please.

Jennifer : I can help you with that.

Dave : Wonderful.

Jennifer : Thank you!

Jennifer : Meanwhile, please click the arrow icon above to move our chat to its own window. This will ensure that the chat does not get disconnected under any circumstances.

Dave : Done. Thanks.

Jennifer : You're welcome!

Jennifer : Let me check that for you.

Jennifer : Thank you for waiting.

Jennifer : I want you to know that the option to watch recordings outside without downloading should be available soon because as of now its in testing phase.So once this gets implemented you can able to view it your computer as well as laptop in online.

Jennifer : And as you said you can able to watch it on your phone and ipad.

Jennifer : Please not to worry to help you better I will escalate this issue to the concerned team and they are already working on it to fix this as soon as possible since they are the highest team and you will be contacted soon.

Jennifer : I will also add a detailed notes in your account so that this will be taken care in high priority and it will be fixed shortly.

Lucas is correct and this is what I have written on here several times now and had people tell me I'm wrong. Your home internet has a much faster download speed than it does an upload speed. I have no idea why the speed difference but most people are doing a lot more downloading than they are uploading. So ISP's give you faster download than upload. In order to view your DVR remotely, you would have to be both uploading the video at your home network, and then downloading the video onto your remote device. I'm sure it could be done if they wanted to, but they don't do it. At least not yet.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:
Geez, there is a lot of bad information here. Yes you can do it. You need the Direct TV app on your mobile device and a HR44 or newer DVR at home. You don't need AT&T wireless or their Uverse TV. You do need an internet connection to your DVR and a connection to your device. You can either download or stream, or download remotely and then watch. I'm sitting here streaming a non downloaded show to my tablet as I type this.

You are watching a streaming show from Directv not a show that has been recorded on your DVR. You can watch Directv live or you can watch shows streamed from DVR, but you can't play recorded shows from your DVR. To do that would mean your DVR would be uploaded the video over your home network and then streaming it to you. You can unplug your DVR when you leave the house and you would still be able to do what you are doing as you are doing it directly between your mobile device and Directv. Your home DVR is not playing a role it in.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Rustycamperpants wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Carl n Susan wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
I thought I heard/saw an ad that said you could view your recorded programs remotely from your PC or mobile. I don't see any way to do this on the DirecTV website or app. Is this possible, or am I just imagining it?

Yes you can. I do it frequently. You need the DirecTV app installed on your device and then connect to your DVR on your home network (i.e. DVR and app on the same network). Using the app, look at the list of shows stored on the DVR and "download" them to your device. Now you can go anywhere (and not be connected to WiFi or your DVR) and watch the downloaded recordings.

This takes some pre-planning (although there are some auto-download settings to make it transparent) to work, but work it does.

And once again, you are talking about something different than the question asked. The question asked is viewing the content of the DVR remotely. The answer to that question is NO you cannot. You can download content and take it with you, but that is not the same as accessing the DVR remotely. If you're going to head out in the RV for a month, the download doesn't work well for you.

Not true, yes you can watch Direct TV on a moble device and leave your DVR (Genie) at home IF you have ATT wireless service. There is no charge at all for data usage either as I have done it on three phones and three Ipads. My kids watch TV often while we are driving on thier devices and it costs me NOTHING. With ATT wireless you can watch your recorded shows AND live TV. I am speaking from experience. No Kidding. ๐Ÿ™‚

NOOOOOO!!! What I said was true. Yes, you can watch Directv LIVE remotely. What you can't do is watch what you have recorded on your DVR remotely! You can download it to your mobile device and take it with you, but if you are not at home on the same netword as your DVR you CANNOT watch the recorded programs on your DVR.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

MrWizard
i suggest you get an HDMI cable to go from the iphone to the TV
you can use the phone to access the DVR, and display it on the TV using the hdmi cable

most use an MHD to hdmi pigtail to connect the hdmi cable
although some phones and tablets have micro hdmi connector

same idea slightly different pigtail adapter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dedmiston
App.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MrWizard
does the iphone and the kindle fire
use the browser or an App to access the dvr ?

browser driven..there should be a way to do this

App driven, will have to wait for a windows App
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
there is a browser add-on for firefox
called user-agent switcher

it lets FF identify your Win laptop as mobile device with a different OS

you select the OS device and browser from a drop down menu when you click on the icon in your tool bar

maybe if you installed it and selected MacOS safari apple device

it would allow you to view the DVR

hey FREE FF addon, can't hurt to try
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dedmiston
MrWizard wrote:
Dave your ipad is an att phone , correct?

What about the tablet, is that also an att device, having it's own sim card

And you laptop has to use a WiFi connection so it is not identified as an att device on your account

iPhone = AT&T

Tablet is a Kindle Fire.

The Kindle and Laptop both tether via WiFi to the iPhone.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MrWizard
Dave your ipad is an att phone , correct?

What about the tablet, is that also an att device, having it's own sim card

And you laptop has to use a WiFi connection so it is not identified as an att device on your account
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dedmiston
So I have a little bit more info about this than before. Evidently they are working on enabling this feature (viewing DVR content remotely via laptop).

DirecTV Chat Seesion wrote:
AT&T : Hello! How may I help you today?

Lucas : Hello Dave, welcome to AT&T/DIRECTV Customer Service, my name is

Lucas, I am very happy to assist you today and I hope you are having a great day so far.

Dave : Good morning. Can you tell me how to view my DVR recordings from my laptop? I can see them on my iPhone and my tablet, but I can't figure out how to see my DVR recordings on my laptop.

Lucas : Just to make sure we are on the same page, you are chatting because you want to know how to watch your recordings from your laptop, Am I correct ?

Lucas : Good morning Dave

Dave : Yes. That's correct.

Lucas : Thanks for confirming

Lucas : While l review your account, May I have a contact number so that we may reach you by phone or text with information about your AT&T services ?

Dave : 123-456-7890, But please don't contact me with sales calls.

Lucas : Not a problem

Lucas : I am still working on your request in order to give you the most accurate information about this, I really appreciate your time

Lucas : Dave please follow this link https://support.directv.com/streaming-dtv/3890

Lucas : and let me know if it worked please

Lucas : there is all the information you need. I really want to help you out

Dave : I don't want to watch On Demand movies. I want to watch the content that I recorded to my DVR at home.

Lucas : this one specifically https://support.directv.com/mobile/3891

Lucas : for laptop

Lucas : that is the same dave

Dave : I don't think so.

Dave : Where do I view my list of recordings?

Lucas : Dave if you are inside the house you can it. if you are on your laptop but outside the house you cannot do it

Dave : But I can see the content on my iPhone or tablet when I am away from home. Why not on my laptop?

Dave : That doesn't make sense. If I'm home, I'll just watch it on the TV.

Lucas : Yes Dave that is the information our system displays, it is out of my reach. let me know how can I help you and I will do it right away

Dave : Can I escalate my question?

Lucas : Dave it is gonna be the same answer

Lucas : because I have double check it with my supervisor and there is no possibility to watch your recordings from laptop if you are not inside the house

Dave : It's worth a try. This is how positive change comes about.
Lucas : Ok I will set up the escalation. you will receive the answer within 7 to 10 business days

Dave : I need to find out why though. I pay a lot of money for DirecTV and AT&T. This seems very strange.

Lucas : Absolutely

Dave : This chat has been unhelpful. Is there a feedback survey?

Lucas : Please stay with me during the whole process

Lucas : Dave why you say that I want to help you. the information regarding your request is you cannot watch recordings from the laptop if you are not inside the house

Jennifer : Hello, my name is Jennifer. I noticed that you were speaking to another representative. Please bear with me for a moment while I review your previous interaction , and I will be happy to assist you further.

Dave : Thank you Jennifer. And good morning.

Jennifer : Hi Dave.

Jennifer : I understand that you want to see your recordings in your laptop.

Dave : Yes please.

Jennifer : I can help you with that.

Dave : Wonderful.

Jennifer : Thank you!

Jennifer : Meanwhile, please click the arrow icon above to move our chat to its own window. This will ensure that the chat does not get disconnected under any circumstances.

Dave : Done. Thanks.

Jennifer : You're welcome!

Jennifer : Let me check that for you.

Jennifer : Thank you for waiting.

Jennifer : I want you to know that the option to watch recordings outside without downloading should be available soon because as of now its in testing phase.So once this gets implemented you can able to view it your computer as well as laptop in online.

Jennifer : And as you said you can able to watch it on your phone and ipad.

Jennifer : Please not to worry to help you better I will escalate this issue to the concerned team and they are already working on it to fix this as soon as possible since they are the highest team and you will be contacted soon.

Jennifer : I will also add a detailed notes in your account so that this will be taken care in high priority and it will be fixed shortly.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:
Geez, there is a lot of bad information here. Yes you can do it. You need the Direct TV app on your mobile device and a HR44 or newer DVR at home. You don't need AT&T wireless or their Uverse TV. You do need an internet connection to your DVR and a connection to your device. You can either download or stream, or download remotely and then watch. I'm sitting here streaming a non downloaded show to my tablet as I type this.
You are right. Now if they would add ability to cast it would be great.

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Carl n Susan wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

Yes you can. I do it frequently. You need the DirecTV app installed on your device and then connect to your DVR on your home network (i.e. DVR and app on the same network). Using the app, look at the list of shows stored on the DVR and "download" them to your device. Now you can go anywhere (and not be connected to WiFi or your DVR) and watch the downloaded recordings.

This takes some pre-planning (although there are some auto-download settings to make it transparent) to work, but work it does.

And once again, you are talking about something different than the question asked. The question asked is viewing the content of the DVR remotely. The answer to that question is NO you cannot. You can download content and take it with you, but that is not the same as accessing the DVR remotely. If you're going to head out in the RV for a month, the download doesn't work well for you.

Not true, yes you can watch Direct TV on a moble device and leave your DVR (Genie) at home IF you have ATT wireless service. There is no charge at all for data usage either as I have done it on three phones and three Ipads. My kids watch TV often while we are driving on thier devices and it costs me NOTHING. With ATT wireless you can watch your recorded shows AND live TV. I am speaking from experience. No Kidding. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4