cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge & Freezer Not Cooling

fullydeuce
Explorer
Explorer
Recently we run into the issue with our fridge and freezer not cooling. We currently live in our fifth wheel and have experienced very low outdoor temperatures over the past week, -35C lows. The fridge has been working fine all winter and just before crapping out, it was overcooling the fridge section and freezing food.

Yesterday I tried to troubleshoot it and found the following.

1. LP Mode: Sustained flame but coils not heating up.
2. AC Mode: Heating element warm but coils not heating up.

I am thinking what might have happened, is that the low temperature caused the ammonia/water mixer to thicken to the point the heater is not able to start the refrigeration cycle.

Any idea's what the issue could be?

My pregnant wife is very keen for me to sort this out.
12 REPLIES 12

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
You need to add a low temp heater kit to the back of the unit.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
refer is like a heat pump , it wont work below a certain temp as the coils don't allow for proper heating to enable the phase change of the chemical process to work.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes sir, efficiency drops exponentially with an absorption fridge as ambient temps drop. Won't hurt anything though.

Look for a small 12 volt ceramic heater @ 150 watts made for defrosting car windows, and wire it into the 12V power that is already in the compartment on a thermoswitch set to turn on at about 40 degrees. Much better than the light bulb trick.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess I should put in my .2 cents as well. We froze up our Dometic in the Cougar a couple of years ago. We wired in a 40 watt bulb to provide a little bit of heat and we blocked off 2/3rds of the louvres on the bottom access. We left it for a full 48 hrs. and defrosted the freezer. It came back to life just fine and we considered ourselves very, very lucky.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
You need to block the louvers on the outside lower fridge vent. Foam pipe insulation is ideal. No need to place a light bulb, not enough heat anyway as cold as you are in.
Place a remote thermometer that you can monitor inside against the outside wall above the vent door, adjust blocking of the louvers to maintain temps there above freezing, below summertime Its Hot!
Pianotuna, Bobs your Uncle & I have been there!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YEs you want to place a heat source in lower section of fridge via the access cover......60W to 100W

But you do not want to block off the louvers in that lower access panel----need air flow from lower cover up across backside of fridge and out the top

You just want to add a bit of warmth to that air flow

(FYI.....Fridge is the Whole appliance made up of a freezer & a food compartment :B )
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need more heat so the above post is spot on. Once it gets back up to -10 you can probably turn the light bulb off but keep the vent covered.

PS: no make or model # needed.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

fullydeuce
Explorer
Explorer
I will give it a go tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Put a 40watt bulb into the compartment and using NON FLAMBLE material close off the vent (bottom) and it will add heat to the area . Try before condemning the frig, for 24 hours and be sure to defrost the freezer section.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Plugged coils.

fullydeuce
Explorer
Explorer
It is a Dometic Double Door. I am to sure of the exact model.

John

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
People will want to know the make & model of the refer to best answer your questions.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.