cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RGV weather

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Watching the weather, it looks darn cold.
Is this one of those years?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
66 REPLIES 66

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
The other thing that numbers don't tell, but I noticed is Florida unlike Arizona and Texas stays warmer longer into the evening. Seems like once the sun goes down in Texas, it's time to move inside or get the portable campfire out.

A simple function of cloud cover, elevation, and humidity. Low and humid stays warmer later in the day. High and dry cools off as soon as the sun sets. The RGV often has warm evenings.

Have to also remember most of AZ is desert....typically warm/hot during the day and then the night temps can drop 30+ degrees in a hurry. Same in our home State of NV...high desert!
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
The other thing that numbers don't tell, but I noticed is Florida unlike Arizona and Texas stays warmer longer into the evening. Seems like once the sun goes down in Texas, it's time to move inside or get the portable campfire out.

A simple function of cloud cover, elevation, and humidity. Low and humid stays warmer later in the day. High and dry cools off as soon as the sun sets. The RGV often has warm evenings.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer

I think that cost/benefit thing applies to 99% of all snowbird RV'ers. Otherwise we would all have condo's in exoctic places and skip around the world.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing I've noticed when comparing WPB and Mission weather is in TX you have a bigger spread in the temps...a bigger difference in the high/low temps each day except when it's cold. At the bottom of this TX page you have graphs of Jan `18 high/lows. Compare it to this page at the bottom I think you will see what I mean as I have observed it over several winters.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
There are budget-priced places in AZ, but some of them are pretty dumpy locations. Usually a few miles away from towns, just out in the desert or next to the interstate in the desert. They all have tons of sun, though.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
It is a cost/benefit ratio. I do not like being confined by cold weather like yesterday and today. It is always "Going to be great in three days", like I often quote. On the other hand, I cannot afford "perfect" weather elsewhere.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Tom I think you had a great phrase in a prior post. Something about $ per warm days.

If you want great weather go to Hawaii. Cost will go way up of course. Ivy also had a great phrase about not leaving the kids an inheritance.

Chuck, when it comes to weather in Texas it's "sometimes you get to ride the bull, other times you get the horn." It's all in the luck of the draw.

I know when I first came to Texas it was based on so many glowing wether reports on the forum. Somehow the $/warm day logic didn't apply to the Lone Star State. :h

First two winters we rode the bull, next four winters we got the horn, last two we rode the bull again, this winter we're getting the horn.

Hey wait, Thursday it's suppose to be sunny and 90. Thinking we'll see a lot of glowing reports when that occurs. Showing the world that we get more warm days/$ and thtat we're smarter then the average bear. :S

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:

I and we remember what a great winter we had last winter in South Texas.....
๐Ÿ™‚
4.9 months of warm and sunny...

I still do not need a winter coat.. or a snow shovel... and still riding my motorcycle almost every week...

At less than half the cost of South Florida.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer

I and we remember what a great winter we had last winter in South Texas.....
๐Ÿ™‚
4.9 months of warm and sunny...

I still do not need a winter coat.. or a snow shovel... and still riding my motorcycle almost every week...

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
There's nothing but respect from me sir. Over the years I've learnt to pay attention to your posts because you're usually correct.

Very chilly, windy, gray, drizzling day here in the RGV. On our way back from $2.50 beers, and $10/lb peel and eat wild caught TX gulf shrimp I asked DW where she wants to go next winter.

She said Florida would be nice, but what's the odds we would have two winters in a row like this one. :h You keep those posts coming Ivy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the "PITA" as my kids would say it's true. If I had not grown up in SE Fla I might be in south TX but I consider WPB home. Still have many friends here and many of the good restaurants are still in business. I'm glad many go to TX as southern Fla is busy this time of year and I average 350 miles/week going places.

The forecast is for colder than normal in the middle of the US and NE last two weeks of Feb and first two of March.

This is from the Clicky in the Snowbird section but it's real time so it changes. The current one supports the above forecast. It's currently slightly warmer in my hometown in the N GA mountains than in RGV.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
Iโ€™ll bite. Whatโ€™s the long term forecast?

For the month of February, colder then normal according to Ivylog's weather guy (seems to be right a lot.) As of today, it's like money in the bank. Ivy is such a PITA. :W

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:

Gradually warming temperatures through April and then hot for five months. Just like every other year.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer