cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exterior damage from slide-out screws

Hrhartsell
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Coleman Lantern bunkhouse that we've owned for just over a year and have only used it 3 times. The last time we took it out, we noticed two holes on the exterior of our camper, caused by two screws on the slide out. Still under warranty, we took it in to be fixed, only for Keystone to deny the claim. They "respectfully denied" the claim because apparently those screws at the top of the slide were not factory screws, and therefore a manufacturers defect was not present. Has anyone else had this problem?
11 REPLIES 11

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Can you find any pics online of the same model that has screws in the same location?
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Hrhartsell wrote:
We have a 2017 Coleman Lantern bunkhouse that we've owned for just over a year and have only used it 3 times. The last time we took it out, we noticed two holes on the exterior of our camper, caused by two screws on the slide out. Still under warranty, we took it in to be fixed, only for Keystone to deny the claim. They "respectfully denied" the claim because apparently those screws at the top of the slide were not factory screws, and therefore a manufacturers defect was not present. Has anyone else had this problem?

What is the purpose of these screws? Who put them there?

If the manufacturer did not install the screws and they are for some accessory, I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to be liable. You seem to be leaving some important information out.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It doesn't take long to become a hardened and cynical RV owner. I could on for pages 'n pages on what we've been through... 😞

Agree, best thing is to just deal with it yourself if you can. If you can't, I'd suggest going to an independent RV repair shop. Many dealers are incapable of fixing things correctly anyway and, if it all in some cases (BTDT too many times). You may feel angry, but all kinds of different problems are par for the course in TT ownership. Every TT owner should have a few basic tools - table saw, welder, PEX crimper to name a few and a shop to keep it all in. 🙂

Exterior screws can sometimes loosen and fall out during delivery to the dealer. Happened to us on two TTs. Perhaps it happened on yours and the dealer replaced them with a different type of screw? You *could* go after them more aggressively, but get nowhere in the end. Thor now owns Keystone and some others, including our KZ brand. I can't see Thor caring about much other than getting units sold and maximizing their bottom line.

We have a screw pushing against the exterior fiberglass wall from the interior side on our slide. Left it alone because an attempt by anyone to fix it, including me, could possibly make it worse. Hopefully it will never breach the fiberglass skin.

Met a Keystone owner at a CG once who bought their TT for his impending retirement. The roof leaked like a sieve. The dealer could not fix it so got sent to the Keystone factory who only made it worse. He ended up dealing with it himself. Have some friends with a Keystone TT. The cabinetry workmanship was worse than awful. The dealer made a mess of trying to fix some of it. I spent a couple of days repairing it including the dealer's work. Moral is, you're better off fixing things yourself wherever possible. It's a good thing to learn RV repairs because this won't be the last thing that needs attention.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
some people have all the luck.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Welcome to the RV Industry in 2018.

We had a 2011 Aerolite, a Dutchmen Mfg brand as is your Coleman, followed by a 2013 Keystone. I personally experienced customer service going to hell in a handbasket, when in Thor's ultimate wisdom they rolled the Dutchmen service into Keystone.

FWIW Forest River is just the same, if not worse.

I'd come up with a plan and either fix myself or find someone else. Fighting with Keystone will be nothing more than an exercise in frustration and a waste of time, probably a lot of time which is the intent. Drag it out in the hope you just go away.

Glad I don't have that issue. Living 60 miles from the factory, if I were to have an issue (I have not), I would just 'drop by' in person and explain and show to a real person in management, my issue and get it resolved.

Guess I'm in the minority with an FR product with no issues whatsoever. (knocking on wood...lol)
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I've always had good luck when dealing with large CS organizations. I make a call, get some stupid answer from a person that makes a living getting yelled at, write down the details of the call, and then I find the name of an executive and e-mail them the transcript of the transaction. I did this with Bank of America (I emailed the presdient) and I got a CALL from the VP of service who said to call her back directly if the issue wasn't resolved by the end of the week.

This won't work if the issue is in some fine print of a conditions of service contract that you (or everyone) did not read.

So, google away at higher ups in the company and start an email conversation with them.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a topper installed? Were the screws part of that installation?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hrhartsell wrote:

We’re fighting their denial through phone calls and emails right now to see if we get anywhere.

Good luck.......Sincerely. The voicemail messages typically go un answered and the emails usually get a canned response if anything. Do you have any RV shows coming up near you? If you do you could always try and corner a Keystone rep at one. They may suddenly become very helpful if you engage one in a loud sort of way at the show.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Hrhartsell
Explorer
Explorer
No, we didn’t put those screws there. The only thing we’ve done to the slide is maintenance to keep it gliding smoothly. The only time it’s been in for service was over the summer because the dinette seat popped off from the slide wall.
We’re fighting their denial through phone calls and emails right now to see if we get anywhere.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the RV Industry in 2018.

We had a 2011 Aerolite, a Dutchmen Mfg brand as is your Coleman, followed by a 2013 Keystone. I personally experienced customer service going to hell in a handbasket, when in Thor's ultimate wisdom they rolled the Dutchmen service into Keystone.

FWIW Forest River is just the same, if not worse.

I'd come up with a plan and either fix myself or find someone else. Fighting with Keystone will be nothing more than an exercise in frustration and a waste of time, probably a lot of time which is the intent. Drag it out in the hope you just go away.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
How do you think the screws got there?

If you did it, take some pics and maybe we can suggest how to seal them and maybe touch up the look 😉