cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route 62 Lubbock Tx to Carlsbad NM

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm laying out our routes for our cross country adventure and I seem to remember someone posting heavy truck traffic on one of the routes coming into Carlsbad but I can't find the post. It mentioned that it should be avoided if possible.
I understand this looks like a direct route and will be busy, but if it is going to be loaded with trucks and there is an alternate road, even if it takes longer, I'd rather do that.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
4 REPLIES 4

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
Docsouse,

You should not have any issues with truck traffic on Hwy 62 between Lubbock and Carlsbad. The oilfield truck traffic will increase as you get beyond Seminole toward Hobbs and Carlsbad but it is a good road. Carlsbad itself is a busy place almost anytime but there is a lot of RV traffic through there as well. If you are continuing on to El Paso the truck (and most other) traffic really thins out once you leave Carlsbad.

If you have the time, take an opportunity to visit the Living Desert State Park as well as Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains National Parks. If you don't have much time you should try to at least stop at the visitor center for both of these - it is very interesting.

I commute between the Hobbs area and El Paso every couple of weeks so I am very familiar with this portion of the road and you should have no issues with traffic.

Be aware though that on the portion between Carlsbad and El Paso there are spots with little to no cell phone coverage.

Terry

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow. I was just looking at the map and I see US 62 runs from Niagara Falls all the way to El Paso Tx. This might be a nice trip to keep in mind. Right now my plan is to pick up US 82 out of Tuscaloosa and follow it to Lubbock Tx. Maybe I'll change things a little. So many roads to choose from. We RV'ers are truly blessed!!!!! Thanks for the info.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As noted above, US 285 south of Carlsbad is the highway frequently mentioned as being a highway to avoid. Has been about 4 yrs, but we towed our 5er on US 62 from Carlsbad to Seminole before continuing east on 180. 62 was a good highway along that portion and not much traffic.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I think the post you are referring to was about US 285 being over used by oil field trucks. I am not familiar with US 62 but any road in the oil field areas will likely show heavy use, but will still be passable. Just watch for the big potholes if any.

BTW: the portion of 62 in TX is likely to be better than the section in NM.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat