cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National Forrest, Parks and State Parks

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at 5 vr's now and find that most are 29ft and up. The 29 and 30's look good to us. The problem I am afraid of is not being able to get in the parks listed above in the subject.
I know that each park will have different limitations but what do most of you find out west here?
16 REPLIES 16

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Much also depends on what you consider good enough. If you need a pad length that will accommodate the full length of your trailer, stabilizers down, trailer as rigid as a house on foundations, then the choices are more restrictive.

If you don't mind the back hanging out over behind the pad, maybe not able to use the stabilisers & are content with a little jiggle when you walk, then your options are greater.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

htss
Explorer
Explorer
This person's youtube post might help you.
Camper Report
2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

Let_s_Go_Explor
Explorer
Explorer
A good source for information w.r.t. typical spur lengths in the National Forests is ForestCamping.com. That will definitely get you started.
April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5
2021 Ford F350 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ 7.3L Engine and 4:30 Rear.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Find ways to make it happen! :B

Hiking and Geocaching Rocks!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The short answer is yes, size matters. A step further, the larger it is the more size matters. Some states & their SPs are notorious for small sites. Others can handle rigs up to the mid 30s without much trouble. Most COE or former COE CGs are great. The private CGs will cram you in one way or another.

I sure would not buy a rig based on the limitations of one state, even if it were my home state.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Durb's advice is darned good. Me too.

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
We are 33โ€™ long and have had some tight spots but never couldnโ€™t get in.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32โ€™ travel trailer and often stay in state, national, and COE campgrounds. The only national park we visited, where you may have an issue is Mt. Rainier. We have fit in all of the other parks we have visited. We spent 8 weeks in CO and Utah this fall and stayed in many national and state parks.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is 31 ft and we have no problems in OR and WA. However, we like full hook ups or at least water and electricity. Maybe the sites with those amenities are longer. We use Reserve America and find that their pad length descriptions are fairly accurate.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
We do three month out West without reservations every other summer staying mainly in USFS CGs that do not take reservations. At 42' I'm SOL if I show up Friday but late Sunday or Monday, no problem. One of my favorite CGs in the Tetons says 28' max but I can get into three of the 12 sites...not sure who decides what lengths to post. CA is probably the worst for larger units, but you did not include it so I would go even bigger if that is what the DW wants.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Been to many state parks in Wa and Oregon and you will not have a problem with a 30 fter, we fulltime and been all over Oregon and Wash parks in a 39 fter and every once in a while a few of the parks are a little tight but you will be good F.Y.I. if staying at the Parks make reservations WAY in advance for the summertime or you will be camping in a Walmart parking lot;)
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the responses so far.
To be more specific...we camp mostly in Utah, AZ, Ore, Wash.
We love to boondock.........like on Dispersed camping areas or just off the road. Most of the time boondocking is not a problem for 32 footer. But we do like the National and state parks. Hope that helps to have you help me.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a 36-foot 5th, and I can talk specifically about the options we encountered on our last trip.

Jesse M. Honeyman SP, Florence, OR: Plenty of suitable sites.

Crater Lake NP: The only campground inside the park had virtually no sites we could fit into without a lot of difficulty. (Every site is an arced pull-thru with obstacles close by, and we find these to be a challenge for our 51-foot rig.)

Panther Flat NFS CG, Gasquet, CA: Plenty of suitable sites.

Lassen Volcanic NP, Manzanita Lake CG: Plenty of suitable sites.

So 75% of the SP, NP, NFS, etc. campgrounds, there was no problem. Bottom line is you will be restricted at times, but I wouldn't let that stop you from getting the length that fits your needs.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The SPs I camp in (East of the Rockies) seem reluctant to trim trees. I can most always find a site that works, but I will not rub trees over the roof, or down the sides to get to a nicer site. I see lots of others doing it though. Height is usually more of an issue than length.

You may get better answers if you are more area specific than out West here.

Jerry

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Very vague request... you'll get answers all over the map.

Some NF parks here in Michigan have huge sites. The law says no rubber off tarmac, but the Man doesn't seem to enforce that.

At the Sleeping Bear, the Man does enforce the rubber on tarmac rule, so you might need to park your truck in the parking lot after placing the trailer.

Straits State Park has pull through sites darn near 100ft long but only 20ft wide, just watch your slides.

Seaton Creek NF park, sites are maybe 8-10ft deep and 20-30ft wide. You're best to leave the trailer and home and just bring the truck and tent.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed