cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WHEEL EXTENDERS & LOAD ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
My son has a 02 Ford Ranger 4X4 with large T-35's. He had to install two inch lug extenders to accomidate those tires. We bought a 75 SIX PAC cab over camper. My question is this. Do the lug nut extenders lessen the load capacity? Will they break or come loose or?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
8 REPLIES 8

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wheel spacers or lug nut extensions = BAD for vehicles already loaded to their capacity.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Wheel spacers or lug extenders aren't the best idea for a load carrying vehicles axle bearings/lugs.
Sure we did silly things like that on a race car or b'cruser street vehicle.
For a load carrying wheel I would use the axle mfg specs for the proper wheel +/- offsets.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Can you clarify what you mean by "lug-nut extenders"?

If you mean true extensions, where each lug-nut screws on and has its own threads for regular lug-nuts, those are no good. I wouldn't even drive on the freeway with those.

If you actually have wheel adapters, which are bolt-on rings with their own studs, those are generally safe, however they can cause early failure on a semi-float axle since they still increase the load on the bearings.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Cannot imagine a slide in truck camper on a Ranger. Have you tried it? Does it actually fit? I hope he has the 4.0L engine, smaller engines cannot get out of their own way.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the video direction. I had no idea how complicated this is. It would seem I really need to know the weight of this camper. Have not yet found it on line. It is a bare bones Six Pac with ice box. I think it is under 1,000.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Good video, especially the one he did on anti sway bars. With a sway bar, whatever one wheel is doing, impacts the other and sway bars reduce suspension compliance (travel), why I run Skyjacker sway bar disconnects both on the front and rear of my 350 4x4. I've popped links before off road so I replaced them. When I go off road, I disconnect both sway bars to allow full, unhindered suspension travel. The difference is amazing.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wheel spacers do reduce the effective spring weight, and also can cause pre-mature wheel bearing failure, which will be amplified further by loading the vehicle heavily.

What is the weight of the camper?

Here is a good video to watch link

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Wheel spacers are safer than lug extenders. Better and safer bet is to get wheels with a different backspace and/or offset. Better yet, get tires better suited for towing. A 2nd set for when you need the weight capacity. Use the current tires & wheels for looks when that is appropriate.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer