cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short wheel well

Wawhoss
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 27 ft '15 Keystone Laredo 5th wheel and on a trip home from DisneyWorld on Dec 3rd I experienced a blowout on the left rear tire just south of Ocala on the Fla turnpike.I noticed white smoke billowing out of the wheel well in my outside mirror. Got it pulled over and with the help of a friendly State trooper and Roadside assistance got the tire changed in record time.Tire was due to be changed out but that's another story.

My problem is just the other day I was poking around under the trailer and noticed that the front right tire chewed thru the top of the wheel well and I've got an oblong hole in the top of the well right over the center of the tire.I guess when the rear tire lost pressure the front tire picked up the additional weight and came in contact with the top of my wheel well. Checked it today and I've only got about 1 1/2" to 2" of clearance normally. Does this sound like a design flaw that Keystone needs to correct. Thanks

Wawhoss
15 REPLIES 15

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My tires only have 2" of overhead clearance and have never had a rub issue. However, I've never had a blowout. I've at time considered LT tires but don't want to lose another half inch to the wheel well. Fortunately with hung axles there are some solutions available for you.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Like I mention previously, many manufacturers use those axles on 10k GVWR FWs. At actual 10K, they deduct 2K for pin wt, and have a whopping safety net of 400 lbs to spare on axles/springs. I think OP needs to have spring shop/big rig alignment service, take a look, and advise best option.

With only 1900 CCC, it doesn't take much to close in on that trailers allowed GVWR.

Jerry

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked your loaded weight on a scale? Could be you're overloaded and the trailer is bearing down on the springs.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Wawhoss wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
4400# axles don't mean a thing. Whats the loaded weight of the 5er.
Keystone doesn't make a 27' Laredo 5th wheel.
What model do you have?
My guess is that you're overloaded on those 4400 lbs axles.

Went outside and double checked. The model is 278 SRL look it up.

32'6 OAL
UVW 8100
CCC 1900
Pin 1705
Axle rating per 4400 x2
You do the math.

Wawhoss
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
What model do you have?

Went outside and double checked. The model is 278 SRL look it up.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What model do you have?

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 4400# axels on my Jayco, and went to E rated 15" tires, and a spacer block under the springs with no problems in 5k miles.

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
Wawhoss wrote:
The springs look fine. I've put less than 5000 miles on my trailer since we bought it new in'15.

Keystone put 4400# axles on this unit and I looked at the hangers and they only have one hole so dropping the spring down one hole is not an option and the axle is under the spring so it can't be flipped.

I have a Keystone Raptor, the springs flatten out on mine, I replaced the springs along with a wet bolts and Dexter E-Z Flex system and it raised my trailer about 2.5", then I had plenty of clearance in the wheel wells.
I hope this helps you!
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
On what are you basing your statement that the springs are okay? They may look okay but not have enough arch for proper clearance. The difference between good and not good may not be all that noticeable. Sounds like yours are sagging.

Some builders are notorious for putting too weak springs on their trailers and 5th wheels. You need to have yours checked.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest stopping by an RV dealer and check the tire clearance on a comparable fiver. Doubt you'll get Keystone to admit that it's a design or engineering problem, even if it's a lousy design.
Also suggest replacing all your tires with Maxxis or other quality tire.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
No, 1.5-2 inches is not enough clearance in most cases. I have 3"s clearance on mine, and most would consider 2.5"s as a minimum. I know they often put 4,400 lb axles on FWs with 10K GVWR, but 5,200 axles would be much better. The heavier duty axle would have stronger springs, and larger brake drums/shoes.

Jerry

Wawhoss
Explorer
Explorer
Original tires that came on the trailer.

Wawhoss
Explorer
Explorer
The springs look fine. I've put less than 5000 miles on my trailer since we bought it new in'15.

Keystone put 4400# axles on this unit and I looked at the hangers and they only have one hole so dropping the spring down one hole is not an option and the axle is under the spring so it can't be flipped.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I'd drag it to an allignment sshop and have them check the springs. A trailer only 2 years old should not have spring trouble. Are the tires the size called for or has someone changed sizes? I went from 15 to 16 inch and I do not have a lot of clearance but no sign of tire hitting the bootom of the camper