cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge only starts on propane?

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at a used tt, and they said the fridge won't start on electric, only propane. But once started, you can switch to electric.

Anyone every heard of that?
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny
9 REPLIES 9

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If you have no cooling on 120 VAC in an an absorption refrigerator:

Plug something else into the outlet (outside access area for back of refrigerator) to verify that you do have 120 VAC.

There is a fuse on the PC board for the heating element (120 VAC). If you are safe working around 120 VAC, check for power on both sides of the fuse.

Lastly, the heat element itself can be bad.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
IBcarguy wrote:
Mine would only work on LP and wouldn't work at all on 110v. It had a bad circuit board that was replaced under warranty.

The OP is writing about a fridge that works fine on AC after it's cooled down on PP.

Or so the seller claims. Once cooled using LP, does the 110V AC really work or is it just a cooler at that point?
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
IBcarguy wrote:
Mine would only work on LP and wouldn't work at all on 110v. It had a bad circuit board that was replaced under warranty.

The OP is writing about a fridge that works fine on AC after it's cooled down on PP.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
i don't think the owners know what they are doing if it works fine on electric after it is cold they are just not starting it up early enough on electric. gas always cools them faster. if it looks like a good rv i would just use that as leverage to get the price lower it can always be replaced or fixed.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a failing heating element on the 110V side.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Someone there may be a little confused.. Is it a smaller fridge that can run on 12V? If so then it really doesn't have enough power to completely cool on 12V but it will run strong on 120VAC.

No, it's a regular rv fridge. 110 and lp
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
they take longer to start up on electric usually 24 hours from a warm start. if they have been shut down it always takes time to get them going it will tell you that in the manual. the electric heating element on them can burn out but they either work or they don't. they are replaceable.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Someone there may be a little confused.. Is it a smaller fridge that can run on 12V? If so then it really doesn't have enough power to completely cool on 12V but it will run strong on 120VAC.