cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for ideas in and around Banff, Alberta

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone! My wife and I are celebrating 40 years of marriage this coming June and we're considering a trip with our TT to Banff, Alberta. (We live in eastern Oregon.) I'm looking for any info I can get on campgrounds, sights, fun things to do, and great places to eat. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
12 REPLIES 12

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
These posts from our blog might be of some help -- lots of photos:

First of several blog posts about the area
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I was in that area summer 2016 for the Stampede and touring. Stayed in Banff Tunnel Mountain trailer village and, in Jasper, Whistler. Both were fully booked when I started checking in January. I just logged on every day and got reservations in both, evidently catching a cancellation just right. Couldn't find on in Lake Louise but on the hwy a mile or so south of town there is an overflow area that is dry camp without reservations. Plenty of room when I was there.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Really appreciate all the responses. Very helpful!
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We stayed last August in Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court--with reservations, of course.

We loved the town of Canmore and went there to do shopping and get fuel. Much less crowded than the town of Banff.

One hint I would give: parking at Lake Louise is almost impossible--for us it was totally impossible. But we signed up for the gondola ride near Lake Louise and were able to take a shuttle right to the lake and then, when we were ready, to the the shuttle back to our pickup at the gondola base. We saw a mama grizzly with two cubs at the top of the gondola ride and had a great view of Lake Louise in the distance.

One other thing we enjoy was the wagon ride and steak cookout from the stables at Banff. Photos of the Western Cookout

Other than that we mostly enjoyed the drives along the Bow River and the hike up Johnson Canyon to the falls.

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to RVing in Canada
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Went up into BC in late Sep 2016. Went up through Spokane to Hwy 2 and then north on 95 into Canada. Most of our stops were at dry sites. Riley Creek Recreation Area (Corps of Engineers), Copper Creek NF Campground, Hahas Lake Provincial Park near Cranbrook, BC. Made some stops every 2-4 days to dump or stopped at a FHU spot for a night. Johnston Canyon NP Campground is dry, but had good dump station at entrance. Beautiful river and canyon hike.

At that time of year, most of the BC Provicial Parks were not full, but the Canadian Nat Parks were a different story!! Fall colors, great weather (only snowed one night!!!), and lots of rental m/homes being driven by "off shore" tourists made it almost impossible to get into the major campgrounds. Summer probably won't be much different, except possibly during the week. We also ran into many campgrounds that closed after Labor Day weekend, making it worse. It was a great trip though!!

Riley Creek COE:

Hahas Lake Povincial Park:

Johnston Canyon NP GG near Banff:

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
If you hadn't booked a campground yet it may be hard. We booked a spot for June and it was getting full. Whistlers in Jasper was already booked for the days we wanted
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campsites in the park are likely fully booked. Try Canmore or Kananaskis for alternatives.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nip over to Drumheller and check out the dino museum. We stayed at the Rv park in Beiseker and toured Drumheller from there.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you like to hike? There are so many options. While the popular trails are obviously busy, there are also some wonderful hikes a little off the beaten path.

If you need hookups, Tunnel Mountain and Lake Louise Trailer have sites. Otherwise, you might consider some of the CG's a little further from town. Two Jack and Johnston Canyon are both nice. Some of the first come, first served CG's are also worth considering. Waterfowl Lakes is further north along the Icefields Parkway and makes a good base for exploring that area.

BTW, the Icefields Parkway is worth driving in both directions as the scenery seems totally different. We really liked heading north to south.

Do be aware that Canada Day (July 1) is on a Sunday this year so the parks will be busy on the days surrounding that weekend.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bear Street Tavern-great beer and pizza.
The Keg Steakhouse-it's a chain but was quite good.
Magpie and Stump-quirky but decent Mexican.
Skip Wild Bill's Saloon.

Lake Minnewanka boat cruise.
Visit Lake Louise (very busy).
Columbia Icefields Parkway.
Banff gondola.
Bow Falls.
Banff Upper Hot Springs.
Parks Administration Building.
Hike, drive the park, enjoy the scenery.
Visit the golf course at dusk to see the elk.
Shop, shop, shop in downtown (very touristy and expensive).

I like the town of Canmore better(about 30 minutes outside). Less expensive, less crowded and they have a FANTASTIC Brazilian steakhouse called Gaucho. Be prepared to eat yourself silly! Grizzly Paw Brewing Company is pretty decent as well-excellent burgers. Not sure about the campgrounds there but we stayed in a nice condo for about 30% less than the cost in Banff.

Personally I prefer Jasper over Banff. It's less crowded, more wild, absolutely stunning and has a much less touristy vibe. It's somewhat "hipster" but the people there, locals and visitors alike, are phenomenal. It's hard to explain-you need to experience it to understand it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]