cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W Patriot Hitch

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that use a B & W Patriot 5th wheel hitch where do you attach your break away cable. TIA
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member
17 REPLIES 17

sbergherr
Explorer
Explorer
I was also using the hitch head handle pin, but will be looking for a new place as well. Thanks.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I will make a change for location soon, thanks.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RCMAN46 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"As to attaching to the handle, and hitch head coming off, the brake switch pin will still be pulled. The head weighs 52 lbs, and with cable attached, will pull pin, even if head is pulled off, and lands on the hi-way."

Great point Jerry!!!

I just looked at a picture where the hitch head came off a B&W and the the release handle is definitely still with the head attached to the trailer king pin and the breakaway switch would not have been activated.

The hitch head did not fall off onto the highway.

Good point also. Proper location is on the truck not the hitch if possible.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"As to attaching to the handle, and hitch head coming off, the brake switch pin will still be pulled. The head weighs 52 lbs, and with cable attached, will pull pin, even if head is pulled off, and lands on the hi-way."

Great point Jerry!!!

I just looked at a picture where the hitch head came off a B&W and the the release handle is definitely still with the head attached to the trailer king pin and the breakaway switch would not have been activated.

The hitch head did not fall off onto the highway.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I have the after market coiled break-a-way cable...I connect it to the left rear tiedown in the truck bed...works for me.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Great point Jerry!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
As to attaching to the handle, and hitch head coming off, the brake switch pin will still be pulled. The head weighs 52 lbs, and with cable attached, will pull pin, even if head is pulled off, and lands on the hi-way.

Interesting above, tying sleds down in enclosed trailer. I can put 3 long track mountain sleds in my 7x23 enclosed, and gear around them. They can't go anywhere, but I strap them where needed, to keep them from rubbing each other on a long trip.

Jerry

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
I put mine on the handle with a locking pin the B&W Patriot hitch has never come off ever in any research I've ever done...... and if it's comes off.... your going to have a whole lot more problems than just the trailer breaking away:E

I've attached the cable to the pull handle ever since we started RVing back in '03 as that's where the dealer said to attach the cable.

I agree too that your gonna have more problems to worry about if the RV de-taches than as to where the cable is attached. To that I'll add that I've never tied my snowmobiles down inside the 4 place enclosed trailer I own UNLESS going on a long trip. Some would say, "shouldn't make any difference wether it's long or short---tie them down". In all the years I've towed the trailer, sleds haven't moved onced. If I ever get into an accident and trailer comes unhooked or not, I've got bigger things to worry about cuz IF trailer becomes unhooked, not gonna make any difference where the brake cable is attached and chains break.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I attach mine the a puck pin on the Demco 6099 picture frame in the bed of the truck. The head on the Patriot head is only held on by two spring loaded latches. And is another reason the trailer should never be used to raise the Patriot out of the truck bed.

The Companion models have a pin on each side that passes under the saddles.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine on the handle with a locking pin the B&W Patriot hitch has never come off ever in any research I've ever done...... and if it's comes off.... your going to have a whole lot more problems than just the trailer breaking away:E
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I would not recommend attaching the breakaway cable the handle locking pin.

If the hitch head were to separate from the hitch the breakaway switch may not be activated.

In fact I do not recommend attaching the breakaway cable to any part of the hitch. I attach mine to a ring I have installed on the side wall of the truck.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
After many years of attaching it to a point on the hitch, I recently learned from a friend in Law Enforcement in our state it needs connected to the rig somewhere. After learning about it I attach mine to a tie down welded to the bed of my truck
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
yup same here thru the locking pin

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I just use the handle locking pin when I drop the pin in I hold the cable there as well
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS