Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Don't buy a Thor product
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Don't buy a Thor product

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/18 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is the C forum, but I own an A and they are basically the same beast: truck/bus chassis with cab or house built on top. Most of the systems that failed on our Winnebago the first 2 years were supplied by others (AC units, weather stripping, parts on chassis). How is it Winnebago, or Thor, or whomever’s fault if the AC, transmission, fridge fails? So, to tell me that I should not buy Winnebago or Thor or Tiffin because parts built by others fail is bad advice.

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/18 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vjstangelo wrote:

I know this is the C forum, but I own an A and they are basically the same beast: truck/bus chassis with cab or house built on top. Most of the systems that failed on our Winnebago the first 2 years were supplied by others (AC units, weather stripping, parts on chassis). How is it Winnebago, or Thor, or whomever’s fault if the AC, transmission, fridge fails? So, to tell me that I should not buy Winnebago or Thor or Tiffin because parts built by others fail is bad advice.

I would say it's the same as hiring a builder to build a house, your only as good as your sub contractors such as Electrician, Plumber, HVAC. At the end of the day it's the builders reputation thats on the line. If Thor uses inferior components to put their coach together then they take he blame.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 02:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmboy666 wrote:

vjstangelo wrote:

I would say it's the same as hiring a builder to build a house, your only as good as your sub contractors such as Electrician, Plumber, HVAC. At the end of the day it's the builders reputation thats on the line. If Thor uses inferior components to put their coach together then they take he blame.

Along with the fact there are only so many Dometics and Lipperts in the RV world. Thor is not using components that are any different than used by Forest River, Winnebago etc. It's more about how it's put together and how it's supported afterwards by the builder. All of them have shortcomings in both areas, especially now days.

You could always opt for a Newmar or something on a Prevost chassis if your pockets are deep enough.

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After doing the research on the Freedom Elite made by Thor be purchased a new 22e in the Fall of 2015. The consensus of opinion at the time was it was an inexpensive unit that had standard industry components, and the fit and finish is average at best. However if you were good with a screwdriver and wrench it was good enough. On our first weekend out we found the rigid PVC pipe connecting the 2 potable water tanks (one tanks fills the second via overflow through this pipe)was leaking water due to the tanks expanding from the weight of the water. We caught it early and only had a small amount of damage. The dealer said they couldn't fix it because there were no directives from the factory, suggested to fill the tanks 1/2 way. Called Thor, faxed them a drawing for a fix, swap the rigid pipe for a flexible one. Thor sent the OK for this change to the dealer the next day and 2 cross country trips later, all is well. The water damage was repaired at the end of that first season, no problem. I had to reassemble drawer that fell apart, and next up I have to figure out why the awning motor is extremely slow to retract, like it's binding. I'll do that when the weather breaks. So far this RV has served us well. I do however keep an extra large box of tools and hardware on board. Just in case!!!

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e
Just right for the two of us!

mda

Scotia, NY/Clermont, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New RV’s come partially assembled.

Moose and Squirel

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/18 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had similar problems with our Chateau 23U. Poor workmanship from the factory and dealer was a PIA to get things fixed.

EdTheEdge

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/18 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't want to make light of the Op's problems but my Thor 2013 22e has been relatively problem free,knock on wood.... I did have a problem with a bent fuel hose on the generator that the dealer could not fix properly so I had it fixed locally. Other than that I have almost 27,000 happy miles on it now.

I would not have left the dealership with the problems the the OP had.

HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had two used Thor products so far. The house on my current one is built similar to the Arctic Fox TT I had years ago when you start looking inside of things. Customer support has been excellent when I called them. When I asked where the low point drains were located. They told me where and also sent the plumbing diagram for my rig.

2011 Four Winds Chateau 28a
2015 GMC Terrane AWD

KtigerJ

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in the process of buying a 2017 Four Winds 31E. We've had the unit for several days at our house going through the Non-Winterized items. There are a couple of issues here and there but overall it's good.

Oldtymeflyr

Arapahoe Hills, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Thor 24 H/L based on a Sprinter. Its been a good rig for the 8100 miles so far.

These are complicated machines. Its a house, a vehicle, tractor and a generating station going down the road at 65 mph. Add these components together and there are a lot of things that can go wrong, more than the sum of its parts. We have a good dealer who worked through things, nothing "major."

We are satisfied with our Thor. We would still purchase a Thor. We believe its been a good value.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Don't buy a Thor product
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS