cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need a new Verizon Jetpack

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I need to get a new Jetpack but which one? Looking at the 7703L and the AC791L. The AC791L is the older of the two but seems to have better reviews in some places. Looking for help on which one would be best.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
37 REPLIES 37

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Thanks for your info - guess I'll have to dig out the paperwork for my Wilson amplifier.

My system is discrete components - including the Wilson amplifier. The discrete 12 volt Wilson amplifier cost plenty ($300-$400) back 10-12 years ago, so I assume it's capable of several/all cellular bands that existed at the time.
At least one version of the Wilson Sleek (the 2B342S cradle amplifier) has a switch to go between Verizon & AT&T. You must choose one system or the other, but not both. I suspect it is missing some of the newer bands, but it is still working on either system.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Yes, back then

I seriously doubt it covers 4G/LTE

12 yrs ago, Im not sure 3G even existed

Verizon's XT might have been available, and maybe AT&T hspa ?

My memory ain't what it used to be

Apple was first to introduce the smart phone in 2007, then Android in 2008.

2007 is 12 years ago. In tech, 12 years ago is dog years -- in human years, that's a century. Sorry, but the fact is, your signal boosting equipment is technologically obsolete. You're not alone. This sort of thing happens to all of us with our old tech equipment.

MrWizard
Yes, back then

I seriously doubt it covers 4G/LTE

12 yrs ago, Im not sure 3G even existed

Verizon's 1X, might have been available, and maybe AT&T hspa ?

My memory ain't what it used to be
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for your info - guess I'll have to dig out the paperwork for my Wilson amplifier.

My system is discrete components - including the Wilson amplifier. The discrete 12 volt Wilson amplifier cost plenty ($300-$400) back 10-12 years ago, so I assume it's capable of several/all cellular bands that existed at the time.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MrWizard
We have the same setup in our RV, which I installed back in the 3G days. However, it doesn't boost signals anymore.

Is it the Wilson amplifier's fault - in that it can't amplify 4G signals?...YES .. you need a new one

@pnichols

it has nothing to do with modulation

its the Freq Band being used (my example AM vs FM)

AM radio was 565Khz to 1605Khz, FM radio 88Mhz to 108Mhz (the AM tuner simply can't receive it)

cellular uses 5 bands

the old analog cellular was in the 700Mhz band
i think 3G is in the 850Mhz band or that might have been VZW XTE

first gen LTE ? 1900Mhz band

the new LTE generation-2 , uses Dual 2100 & 1700Mhz bands

many of the new WeBoost amplifiers have 4 lights on the front indicating which bands are getting a working signal

the paper work with 'ALL' of them tell you which bands they cover

the first wilson cradle amps had verizon versions and att versions, because of different Band use use and were built and tuned to be narrow band 'carrier specific'

new models cover all bands, all carriers

but making 'all band' inside and outside antennas, does put limits on gain versus single carrier & band specific designs

if you bought one of the RV units or the HOME 'G" unit

separate components, exterior antenna, interior antenna, Amplifier module
it is most likely all band

check the model number for specs and band coverage
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
The old 3G cradles, do not boost 4G LTE, signals

That's like asking your old AM car radio to receive FM radio

Hmmm .... I haven't yet checked with Wilson ... but I assumed that the Wilson amplifier I bought and installed was merely a high frequency RF amplifier in which it didn't make any difference about how those RF waves were getting modulated.

That 12V powered Wilsonn amp was not inexpensive - what a waste if it can't handle 4G and 5G modulated carriers. ๐Ÿ˜ž

MrWizard
The old 3G cradles, do not boost 4G LTE, signals

That's like asking your old AM car radio to receive FM radio
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
I prefer the JetPack for one reason: I have a Wilson signal booster with inductive antenna in the RV. I can leave the JetPack on the card-sized antenna and then have wifi for all devices in the RV. So I can sit on the couch with the tablet, or talk on the phone with wifi calling.

We have the same setup in our RV, which I installed back in the 3G days. However, it doesn't boost signals anymore.

Is it the Wilson amplifier's fault - in that it can't amplify 4G signals? :h

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
we already have a 4g jetpack on our account. i wonder if that will work on the $65 umlimited. i'll give VZW a call.
You would need to remove the jetpack from your account and put it on a separate prepaid monthly account.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we already have a 4g jetpack on our account. i wonder if that will work on the $65 umlimited. i'll give VZW a call.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We're currently using our 6620L on Verizon's $65 prepaid unlimited 4G/LTE plan, but I'm planning to order a 7730L soon to get the additional band coverage. I've seen reports of monthly renewal problems with the 8800 on the prepaid plan, but I don't know if that's still current or not. And then there's the lack of 3G fallback for those areas that still have it. Verizon says 3G will be gone next year though, so it won't be an issue for long anyway. We also have AT&T's Connected Car (Mobley) unlimited plan at $20/mo using a Netgear Unite Explore hotspot, and one or the other has worked well everywhere we've been so far. Both plans are subject to priority management on congested towers, but we've never had a noticeable problem with it.

The question was asked about the total price for Verizon's $65 (w/autopay) plan, and the answer is $65. No additional taxes or fees.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
Well it took me over a year to do it:)
I got the Verizon Jetpack 8800l ($199) on the unlimited prepaid plan $65 per month.
We'll see how it goes. Got a trip planned for spring break. Me and the wife, daughter and three grandchildren all with their own devices.
I just hope it doesn't explode:B
One concern with the Verizon Jetpack 8800l is that it does not do 3G. While 4G LTE is faster & becoming more common, I have still camped in a number of places where 3G was all that was available.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
thanks. is ALL data high speed? no throttling even with the laptop tethered? no potential slowing after XXgb depending on network traffic?

If it sounds too good to be true....

Prepaid plans are subject to being deprioritized when traffic on the tower youโ€™re hitting reaches certain levels. That means your jet pack could be virtually unusable at certain times depending on where you are.

Weโ€™ve been on the road since the beginning of the year and I have experienced everything from super fast to unusable. Iโ€™m currently in north Phoenix and speeds have been usable for streaming, but thereโ€™s still a lot of room for improvement here. The three weeks were in Laughlin NV before this were terrible.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
thanks. is ALL data high speed? no throttling even with the laptop tethered? no potential slowing after XXgb depending on network traffic?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle