cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F-150 towing capacity

GWK
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 F-150 4WD Short bed - super crew - 3.31 rear end. I see on the towing guide that I have a trailer towing capacity of 9,200 lbs. But it doesn't list a hitch weight max? I am shopping for a travel trailer and do not want to make a mistake. I see a pretty big variance between trailer models. (Have not bought it yet but I will be using a weight distribution hitch)

Thanks........
2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus
Cummins ISL / Powerglide
Gary W. Kincade
10 REPLIES 10

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Even though the tow rating can vary greatly for the same model of truck, the hitches are usually the same across the model line. Receivers are normally rated at 10 percent of the tow rating when using a WD hitch and half that without. Find the highest tow rating for that year F150 and take 10 percent of that number.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Short bed, 3:31s and F-150 are working against you.
A reasonable weight to tow would be much less than 9,200 pounds.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
GWK wrote:
I have a 2013 F-150 4WD Short bed - super crew - 3.31 rear end. I see on the towing guide that I have a trailer towing capacity of 9,200 lbs. But it doesn't list a hitch weight max? I am shopping for a travel trailer and do not want to make a mistake. I see a pretty big variance between trailer models. (Have not bought it yet but I will be using a weight distribution hitch)

Thanks........

Without more info, your tow capacity could be as low as 6100lbs.

Which engine and what does the driver's door yellow sticker say is your payload capacity.
Do you have the Max Tow Package or HD Payload Package?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Typical capacities for a 1/2 ton receiver hitch are:
500 Weight Carrying (no WD hitch)
1000 Weight Distributing (with WD hitch)

Here's a way to get a good idea of what you can really tow:
1. Take the payload capacity from your yellow door sticker.
2. Subtract the weights of your wife, children, dog(s), any tools you keep in the truck.
3. That will be your tongue weight, or 1000lbs, whichever is lower.
4. Multiply by 7.5.

Generally speaking, you need a minimum of 10% of the trailer's weight on the tongue for stability, but travel trailers usually need more and run in the 13% range.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Well said. To the OP; Read and post the payload ratings from your yellow sticker for some informed guesses as to what you should be looking at for trailer weights. Almost certain to be way less than 9,200 pounds.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Towing capacity" doesn't mean much these days. Most 1/2- and 2/4-ton trucks will hit the limit on payload for tongue or pin weight before you reach the maximum towing capacity. This is especially true for a optioned-out 4x4 crew cab.

1) Write down the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and GVWRR (gross vehicle weight rating - rear) off the sticker on the driver's door jamb.

2) Fill up the truck, pile in with your family, pets, and anything else you'll carry while traveling, and head to the nearest CAT scale (most truck stops have them).

3) Pull on to the front two plates of the scales so you get separate front (steer) and rear (drive) axle weights.

4) Add 75 lbs. to the rear axle weight from the scales for a good weight distributing hitch.

5) Subtract the drive axle scale weight from the GVWRR on the door sticker. This is what you have left over for tongue weight on the trailer.

6) Subtract the total weight of the truck (plus the 75 lbs. you added for the hitch) from the GVWR on the door sticker. This is the total payload you have left on the truck.

7) PAY NO ATTENTION to advertised dry weights or tongue weights on any travel trailer. Use the RVs GVWR (every RV has a sticker on the side just like the one on the truck) to determine the maximum loaded weight for the trailer. Use 12 - 15% of the trailer's GVWR (from the trailer's sticker) to estimate a total loaded tongue weight.

😎 If the calculated loaded tongue weight from #7 exceeds the remaining rear axle capacity you got in #5, you need to look for a smaller/lighter trailer.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2013 F-150 SCREW short-bed. I have a specifications "sheet" that I found online for 2013 F-150's. It is 15 pages long! There are so many variations of every possible configuration. You really need to look on the labels on your specific truck. The label on the hitch, as has been noted, to tell you the hitch weight capacity, and the label on the driver's side door post for payload capacity. Beyond that you need to know your engine, and whether or not you have 4x4.

Here is your towing specifications guide from Ford.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure you understand how payload calculates in the mix also. The max tow number can be misleading

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lots of things to consider. Yes, max hitch wt will be on the hitch. A couple more things, payload/tire loading sticker on door jam, and GCVWR that should be in your owners manual.

Good to see you doing research BEFORE BUYING.

Jerry

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
look on the hitch on the truck. There should be a sticker that tells you the max both "weight carrying" and "with weight distribution" hitch.