cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Minor Hassle When Using a VPN

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I’m using both Edge Browser and Nord VPN on Windows 10, and so far am happy. However, there is one fairly minor annoyance. When I try to sign in to my email or online banking websites I need to enter a code sent to my phone in order to sign in. I’m pretty sure this extra step is needed because the VPN assigns a different IP address and location than previously recognized. Having to go through that extra step is somewhat annoying, but perhaps a good thing for security. I don’t think there’s a way to circumvent this, and do understand it's probably a good thing, but I’m open to any ideas someone may have. I will certainly not stop using a VPN because I believe the extra security it provides outweighs any minor hassle.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
24 REPLIES 24

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
johnwalkerpa1 wrote:
Aside from the various theories on the use of VPN, what the OP is describing is nothing more than two-factor authentication. It is widely used and is going to be the norm...in many places, it already is the norm.

True. Since most of our social security numbers have been hacked(Equifax), our phones have become the go-to security measure with the two factor authentication. I'd like to see more sites use it especially bank sites.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from the various theories on the use of VPN, what the OP is describing is nothing more than two-factor authentication. It is widely used and is going to be the norm...in many places, it already is the norm.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use a VPN provider, that's kind of a newer thing.

I use a traditional VPN that is provided by the firewall at work, and the one at home. Both are Sophos products.

The connections don't provide Internet access, I have them specifically programmed not to. They provide an encrypted tunnel into my work or home networks. This allows me to manage servers, check security camera logs, etc. without having to open anything up to the outside world.

I use Google's password manager for some things, the rest is just in my memory, so far so good.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps I'll give it a go on the phone. What VPN do you use and why do you like it? Do you use a password manager on the phone? At home I use Lastpass on the PC and it's been a godsend of a time saver. Over the years I've got about six 8x11 pages of passwords that Lastpass handles well.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Who's infrastructure do they use to inter-connect those 700 servers in 70 locations... I'm gonna bet on commodity internet.

I DO use VPN when I travel, but for securely connecting to specific end point networks, not more or less random other Internet locations.

Your phone is not less secure than your hard wired computer at home... If anything it is more secure since mobile networking is under such close scrutiny right now. Media and hackers just itching for something to embarrass one of the big cellular providers.

Regarding open WiFi and how terrible it is could be a long thread of debate on its own.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Gorden you got me thinking, so I looked into it. Your right that most don't run their own infrastructure, but rent it from a host. But some do own 100% of it, such as Goldenfrog. They own 700 servers in 70 global locations. I never use open wifi for anything critical; especially banking. I don't even use the phone for email. I just see the phone as far less secure than my cable connected pc. Maybe that fear is misplaced. So given all the weakness's as you describe, is a VPN even worth it?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The only servers owned by the vpn company you will be using is the one you connect into and the one that dumps you back out.

They're still routing your traffic through commodity providers. For them to own end to end private fiber between all their geographic diverse endpoints would make the service colossally expensive.

A VPN will maybe protect you from a compromised public open WiFi access point, depending on the funding level behind who compromised it. I would never use an open WiFi network, VPN or otherwise.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I see your point regarding the beginning and end points, but the servers in between are private via subscription( or so I've been told). Here's a good tutorial by Eli the computer guy on VPN's. He explains it really nice.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
When the information goes from you to the source, it traverses multiple servers regarded as "nodes". Because these servers are public, hackers can infiltrate a node and intercept your data. When you use the private servers of a VPN, they protect you in two ways. First, their only available to subscribers, and secondly, they use a technology that if it detects an infiltration, immediately switches to a different node. Kind of like when you see an object in the left lane, you go into the right lane for safety. Nord VPN, Express VPN, and Strong VPN are all good ones. Two factor authentication good, cause bad guys don't have your phone, but you also need to protect your phone number from theft(it happens). You can do that by going to your carrier and create a password to prevent the porting of your number to another carrier.

Unless your VPN ends on the banks network you are still going through routers and network devices not belonging to the bank.

Not sure why your traffic would be going through "public" servers.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Problem with Edge is you do not know what Microsoft is doing. I do, why I only use it for LAN functionsk never WAN (Internet) It phones home and delivers a report when you are not looking.

So does Chrome (I suspect) but I trust Google more than Microsoft.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
When the information goes from you to the source, it traverses multiple servers regarded as "nodes". Because these servers are public, hackers can infiltrate a node and intercept your data. When you use the private servers of a VPN, they protect you in two ways. First, their only available to subscribers, and secondly, they use a technology that if it detects an infiltration, immediately switches to a different node. Kind of like when you see an object in the left lane, you go into the right lane for safety. Nord VPN, Express VPN, and Strong VPN are all good ones. Two factor authentication good, cause bad guys don't have your phone, but you also need to protect your phone number from theft(it happens). You can do that by going to your carrier and create a password to prevent the porting of your number to another carrier.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Fizz wrote:
The primary need for VPN is hide illegal downloads like streaming from out of country and pirate sites.
Why would you need this for basic web use.

That's not true. VPN are commonly used by businesses and some/many require their employees to use them. It's another measure to enhance security.

That's a different kind of VPN.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
The primary need for VPN is hide illegal downloads like streaming from out of country and pirate sites.
Why would you need this for basic web use.

That's not true. VPN are commonly used by businesses and some/many require their employees to use them. It's another measure to enhance security.
Kevin

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Happens with my Yahoo account as well Im no using a VPN I'm using assorted browsers and devices but on all of 'em thy now do the phone thing.

You might want to move away from Edge.. But I won't go into why. Research the product to see what the security experts are saying about Tracking.

You're right. Same thing happened with Yahoo, but all seems resolved now. As far as Edge goes, it's worked well for me. No complaints. I also have Chrome and use it for one of my banking sites, since it seems to work better for some reason. As a guy who likes to experiment, I've tried Opera, Vivaldi, Comodo Dragon, and others, but I keep bouncing back to Edge. My next experiment may be with the Brave Browser. 😉
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)