cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lenght

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to transition from a TC to either a TT or 5th wheel, leaning toward a TT so we would still have use of truck bed. We've traveled around most of the western states in the TC and no problem getting into any campsite, heck i could park downtown. Im wondering if there is a maximun length I should shoot for state and fed parks.
Thanks..
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)
9 REPLIES 9

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
Use spell check on your title.

Try to stay under 30โ€™ overall but you give up a lot for that. If I was going big I would stay under 35โ€™ and get a fifth wheel or a class A.
Jeep and Explorer

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 25 foot Dutchmen and have traveled a quite a bit. At Glacier National Park spaces were limited, even PUPs were tough in spots. But in general this is rare.

Out West many of the campsites are smaller but that doesn't stop them from packing rigs in like sardines.

Usually were able to avoid such problems but once or twice we just had to tough it out. Of course we were gone most of the day sight seeing.

In the end you pick the floor plan you like, our floor plan included the ability to wind through city streets and find quilt and gun shops. For us that was 25 to 28 feet.

Rent the size TT you think you like before you buy, you learn a lot real fast.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Our camper has a 21โ€™ box and we have not had a problem getting into any spot. We go to lots of state parks and some have had few spots for large campers while others have plenty.
I would guess that coming from a TC, anything over 16โ€™ or so would feel large. When we went from a 14โ€™ box to a 23โ€™, it seemed palatial.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
We went form a 26'tt to a 34'tt. Wished we had stayed smaller and will go back once kids are a bit older. We are much more restricted to where we fit now.

I would try to keep it under 28' and you should have no problems anywhere. Coming from a TC you should find that cavernous in comparison.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Because of posts on here that 36' was the max so I bought a used 36' DP. Did not take long to learn 36 max was BS, especially in the West. Traded for a 40' costing a fair amount and once we could use more than 100 days/year bought current rig slightly used...again costing $$$. Buy more RV than you think you need ONE TIME!!!

We mainly stay in USFS CGs BUT do not show up Friday hoping to find a site big enough. Not sure who determines the max size in CGs as I'm usually able to get in even when it says 30' max.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to keep in mind, near most national and state parks there will be private campgrounds close by. We have a 38 foot 5th wheel and have always been able to find a place to stay within 25 miles or less of the national or state parks we wanted to visit.

Great thing about private parks is you can get full hook ups which can help make the whole experience more enjoyable. It's bad when the batteries die while you are trying to take a shower with no hook ups. That happened to us in our 25 foot TT at Zion National Park in 1980.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most campgrounds were first developed in the 1950s and 60s based upon the station wagon and tent camping. Things have changed a bit since then and campgrounds are being redesigned and rebuilt as funds allow. The key phrase is "as funds allow". It's expensive. One popular FS lakefront campground near us was rebuilt to contemporary RV standards at a cost of $1.5 million.
The land agencies are competing with every other agency and program for a limited pool of funds. The campgrounds are being rebuilt to accommodate RVs. It is going to take time to get all of them done.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Having traveled / camped here in Ontario and many US states from east to west I'd say a good universal length that will get you on pretty well any site is no more than 25' coupler to bumper. This is especially useful when traveling, not reserving but instead just showing up. That said, I never had any site I couldn't fit on to with our previous Spree which measured 26' 9" coupler to bumper BUT there were a few times it was really tight - ergo, why 25' tops to me would be as long as I'd want to go. JMO. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
From reading these forums for many, many years now and having this same similar question asked many times, I have come to a conclusion.

If you are primarily camping anywhere West of the Rockies, a 25 foot travel trailer will accommodate just about anywhere.

If you are primarily camping anywhere East of Kansas, a 35-40 foot travel trailer can be accommodated almost anywhere, provided you check each individual campground first. Most will accomodate trailers of that length and sites available. But not necessarily in thick wooded, jungles.

National Forests everywhere are primarily designed for around 25-30 foot trailers, and there are some exceptions for longer sites, so check ahead first.