cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you think?

me_camper
Explorer
Explorer
My current tow vehicle is getting a little tired and rusty these days. Found a good deal on a 2013 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost and tow package. How many people out there tow 8500 lbs with this truck, just looking for opinions. Thanks.
2005 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab
6.0L,4:10
2011 Coachman Freedom Express 296REDS
13 REPLIES 13

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
MFL wrote:
The max tow will also have the bigger elephant ear mirrors on it. Max tow in that year also added 500 lbs to GVWR. Every ones comfort level is different, many would not want an 8,500 RV hooked up to that truck. IIRC in 13 the RAWR on that model was 4,050. If you stay under that, towing trailer in question, it may work for you.

Jerry

I thought the big tow mirrors were still an option. I know they were on my 2010 F150 Max Tow. I had the Max Tow, 3.73 and 1857 CCC.
According to Fords build and price site they're a $275 option on 2018's.

My 2014 has Max Tow Package and power tow mirrors were not part of that package.
They were an separate option.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Is your concern that the GM product is rusting out? I know years ago Maine was hard on folks with checking for rust damage duue to road salt, and many folks were cutting out floors and removing seats to fiberglass or rivet sheet metal in to seal rusted out units.
Yeah I know, these are old memories, but I dont know that this problem isnt what is pressing the sale of the old GMC.

Huh?? Thatโ€™s a double negative, lol.
But rust is a primary reason to sell a vehicle that still runs.....
we
20 years ago guides I bowhunted up there with and some that I knew from archery tournaments talked about pulling seats out , riveting in sheet metal and then glassing old trucks before putting the seats back to pass state inspections with old units they used primarily for hunting. The OP's truck is 15 years old, in Maine's environment. It may be that he needs to replace it due to cost of patching it up making a 5 year old replacement more reasonable.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the 3.73 not came with Max tow? It'll do it, the engine is great, but a 3/4 ton would be ideal.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
goducks10 wrote:
MFL wrote:
The max tow will also have the bigger elephant ear mirrors on it. Max tow in that year also added 500 lbs to GVWR. Every ones comfort level is different, many would not want an 8,500 RV hooked up to that truck. IIRC in 13 the RAWR on that model was 4,050. If you stay under that, towing trailer in question, it may work for you.

Jerry

I thought the big tow mirrors were still an option. I know they were on my 2010 F150 Max Tow. I had the Max Tow, 3.73 and 1857 CCC.

In 2013 model year that OP is looking at, they were part of the max tow package.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Is your concern that the GM product is rusting out? I know years ago Maine was hard on folks with checking for rust damage duue to road salt, and many folks were cutting out floors and removing seats to fiberglass or rivet sheet metal in to seal rusted out units.
Yeah I know, these are old memories, but I dont know that this problem isnt what is pressing the sale of the old GMC.

Huh?? Thatโ€™s a double negative, lol.
But rust is a primary reason to sell a vehicle that still runs.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DutchmenSport wrote:
Me thinks you'll be very sad if you switch that 2005 GMC 2500 HD for an F150. You'll be kicking yourself, especially if you tow. I'd rather keep the rusty 2500 than the shinny 150.

Except that unless the GMC is a diesel, the newer Eco boost performance with good LT tires will flat stomp a mud hole in the Jimmy in all respects except payload.

Give me a rusty old 6.0 Chebby or a newer Eco boost for a cross country trip with a trailer and the Chevy is staying in the pasture.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer

me_camper
Explorer
Explorer
F150 has the factory Ford brake controller in the dash and a 3.73 rear end, not sure if that's the max tow package or not?
2005 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab
6.0L,4:10
2011 Coachman Freedom Express 296REDS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
me.camper wrote:
My current tow vehicle is getting a little tired and rusty these days. Found a good deal on a 2013 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost and tow package. How many people out there tow 8500 lbs with this truck, just looking for opinions. Thanks.

I have a 2014 Ecoboost CC with the Max Tow Package and 1828lbs for payload capacity.
I tow a 26'6" TT that weighs at most 6000lbs.

Does the truck you're looking at have the Max Tow Package or the regular factory tow package? Makes a big difference.

Also what is its payload capacity? It'll almost certainly be lower than your 2500.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
me.camper wrote:

I did for a couple of years. Added LT-E tires, HD shocks and bump stops so the overload spring engaged earlier. And with a good anti-sway WDH it towed well, was stable and had lots of power. It was also cheap to maintain and gave me 10.2 mpg towing all over.

But eventually traded it in for a 3/4 ton as I always exceeded the truck's rear GAWR (our trailer is ~1300# TW) by a few hundred pounds, the 2" Class IV hitch receiver wasn't hefty enough (kept loosening up), and I disliked going down steep hills at high rpms in first gear (Ecoboost didn't have enough engine braking).
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Me thinks you'll be very sad if you switch that 2005 GMC 2500 HD for an F150. You'll be kicking yourself, especially if you tow. I'd rather keep the rusty 2500 than the shinny 150.