cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing ladder on trailer ???

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if its worth it. Is it difficult to find studs for mounting and is it really necessary. How many times do you need to go up there. Opinions and comments appreciated.
27 REPLIES 27

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Just an observation that no one else has mentioned BUT having climbed a trailer mounted ladder I find it FAR more difficult going straight up than on an incline when climbing a stand alone ladder propped against the trailer. ๐Ÿ˜‰
That was my very first thought when I read the OP's post. I can't imagine how hard it is it climb a vertical RV ladder and get yourself up and over onto the roof. Could be even harder getting back down. I've used a ladder in house construction & maintenance a lot over the years and there's no way I'd ever use a fixed RV ladder. Only use a portable ladder that is leaned against the roof and here's why I say that:

Falls off ladders send 500 people to the ER every day in the US. Falls off ladders are the no. 1 cause of worker accidents here. Injuries can be severe and at the worst result in quadraplegia or death. Also, in a workplace, heights above 10' require fall restraint and many RVs are above that height on the roof surface. Climbing ladders and working on an RV roof can be very risky, even at the low heights involved.

OSHA has a one page summary on ladder safety here. Ladders also have load ratings ranging from 200 lbs for a type III to 375 lbs for a type IAAA. What load rating is an RV ladder?? Would you really trust the attachment method by a factory or a retrofit installation? If I were an RV manufacturer, I wouldn't even offer ladders due to the potential liability. An installation of a fixed ladder like RVs have would never be approved in a workplace setting.

I had a serious fall off a 6' step ladder 25 years ago because it collapsed under me and was standing a couple of rungs from the top and only fell 4-5 feet. I still have pain in one hip and enough to interfere with sleep sometimes and may eventually need a hip replacement. Ladders aren't something to take lightly.

Anyway, if a manufacturer offered a ladder as an option on a model line, I would think that the appropriate backing is placed in all units going down the production line. A retrofit would have attachment issues as mentioned by others.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Generally the short stud is there to anchor some inside component option down the line. That one looks like it was not used.
Since both studs in that cavity are laid flat, I'm guessing they are backers for a shelving unit or closet.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Generally the short stud is there to anchor some inside component option down the line. That one looks like it was not used.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Here's another ...

... is that short stud (middle left) intentionally short or just stuck in because that's what the assembler had on hand. Good grief. :E

Its a good thing these guys work on rv's they'd never make it as even carpenters helpers

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Another agreement here. Back in the day, when I wasn in the US Navy,
vertical ladders I could navigate. Now many years later, and over my "playing" weight, I can't use a ladder. MY trailer has one, but I can't use it, I quickly found out.

But I had been insisting that any new RV would have a ladder, but at that point I hadn't tried to used one.

To the op, I definitely would not add a ladder to a trailer that didn't have one, because it's too easy to miss the vertical studs. Too much risk for too little reward.

SoundGuy wrote:
Just an observation that no one else has mentioned BUT having climbed a trailer mounted ladder I find it FAR more difficult going straight up than on an incline when climbing a stand alone ladder propped against the trailer. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with MFL, some roofs are not made to be walked upon (states this on the owners manual.) I use a tall ladder when cleaning the roof on my Coleman, vent is easily reached from the ladder..
I have no intention of adding a ladder on the back when I really do not need it anyway
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:

Agree! I always use a telescoping ladder when going up the rear. The built in ladder is too straight up and down and hard to climb for me. In fact, I have just about given up climbing any ladders anymore. My sons and grandsons are assigned those duties now. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
In order to clean my TT roof I wanted to walk on it. I emailed the manufacturer with the VIN number and they said "do not walk on the roof"

If you want to install a ladder contact the manufacturer. They will let you know if and where to attach it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
legolas wrote:
A ladder is great if your unit came with one. I don't have one but I got a really nice collapsible ladder at Camping World. Extends to 14 ft
when fully extended and collapses down to about 36" tall and fits quite well in the back of my pickup. I love it and there is always a need to check the roof.

I too have a telescoping (collapsible) ladder. I recommend one. It fits easily into the passthrough and comes in handy for lots of situations on and around the camper. I use it to occasionally get on the roof and to sweep off the slide at the end of each trip. I've also used it to hang a flag or light high on a tree.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Our first TT which we owned for ten years came without a attached roof ladder. When we purchased a new TT in 2016 we made sure it came with a factory installed roof ladder. Wouldn't be without it again.

I don't get on the roof often but sure is nice for inspecting the roof and vents and all the calking. I never found a tall step ladder as the greatest tool for transitioning on or off the trailer roof. Plus I would never carry one along on our travels.

Friends of ours wanted to add a roof ladder to their 2015 5th wheel trailer and were told not to do it. Being they didn't order it as a manufacturer installed item, there wasn't any reinforcement provided in the wall for extra support.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a factory ladder and often go on the roof to check the things mentioned. But I don't use the factory ladder anymore as I found after a few trips up and down, it has become less and less secure with more wiggle and wobble (and I am a lightweight). Just seems like a path to leaks, etc.

I have an extendable ladder that I use now exclusively to access the roof. I just set it up right next to the factory ladder and use the factory ladder as a handhold to climb the extendable.

Like most said, IMHO too risky trying to add one aftermarket.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wish my RV was that well built, Soundguy lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
GrandpaKip wrote:
I installed one on mine and like it I made sure of proper backing and used appropriate sealants. Not really a big deal.
It is really handy for sweeping off the slide when a step ladder wonโ€™t work.
If you are squeamish about putting holes in your roof and wall, this is not for you. Four holes in the roof and twelve in the wall.
If I weighed 200 lbs. or more, I donโ€™t think I would be comfortable using one, though.

My FW came with a ladder. It has a sticker on it, rating it for 300 lbs. I don't weigh anywhere near 300 lbs, but if I did, I sure as he!! would not be using it.

Jerry