Did you mean:ย 

Pv to Guadalajara

peachland
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where we access this new hwy
11 REPLIES 11

Talleyho69
The question was where to pick up the new Guadalajara bypass road.
It was answered.
It begins south of Tequila, is very well marked, and ends up well on the other side of Guadalajara. It is complete. You never even see the city.

The second question is not fully answered. It asked about where to access 15D from Puerto Vallarta.
Information has been posted, but the question has not been answered directly.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
I see that by checking Google Earth that the construction of this new highway seems only partly complete, and the OP post has gone unanswered as to where the only complete section, of three proposed, can be accessed from the south.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Wm. It was ten years ago that I last drove the road, much of the roadway was pretty new and there was some construction if I recall. Unlike northern roads, there is no problem with them banking the curves - which in Canada in icy conditions, can present additional winter challenges. On this road the banking allows higher slightly speeds. Slow traffic can be a problem but- on one trip we had use of radios, and another car ahead of a slow truck, signaled back, the all clear ahead and we passed when ordinarily we would not. Don't get carried away, though, we once passed a cow munching very close to the roadway and we couldn't see it until we were almost upon it. We once got lost in Mascota, took a while to get back on track. I have no idea how to drive in Guadalajara, have only done the ring road once, as we were travelling north. The city is expananding all the the time. It is huge, as you likely know.

Jarvis1
Explorer
Explorer
The new Quota from Compostella to Jala (where it joins 15D) is accessed just past the Compostella toll booth
2002 Monaco Diplomat 40'

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
DaveB says "perfect for a motorcycle I always thought"... We might try to check that out in March - this will be our 5th motorcycle trip in Mexico. Thanks!

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe someone will chime in here about traveling from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara on the new road, and where to access it from PV. My maps are older so predate the construction.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
According to Google Maps, the route via San Sebastiรกn and the coastal northern route are just about the same in distance and time.

I am assuming that the route up the coast and over is a much better highway with tolls.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
There is a road, a few years old now, that eventually gets you to Guadalajara. By taking a short road up toward San Sebastien del Oeste where, from one point on a good day, they used to drive you up a steep section of road, enabling a view the Bay of Banderas. But stay on the main road...which begins near the PV airport. It is steep, you won't want to take it if there has been a lot of rain (rock on road) or if you're in a big rig (Very Steep in the early going) keep going after the San San Sebastien turn off, pass through the city of Mascota, and travel Hwy Mex 70 to link with Hwy 15 heading east into Guadalajara. You will see rural Mexico from along a winding road, perfect for a motorcycle I always thought.

For us, we would turn off Hwy 70 near Ameca, and get on Hwy 80 near Cocula to travel to an RV Park near Villa Corona. Guadalajara is not far away. We would do this in our towed car only. Yes, most folk will take the new highway, but in good weather, in a car and not in a hurry, you might like this way.

Talleyho69
There is a new piece of toll road that runs south of Tepic, just north of Magdalena to Compostela. It's open. We haven't taken it, but someone is bound to have.

peachland
Explorer
Explorer
So do we still have to go to las Varsas and up to compostella from Pv or do we get on it from Pv elsewhere
Thank you

Talleyho69
Just south of Tequila.