cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guadalajara Speeding ticket

dkilley
Explorer
Explorer
Jan 18th 2018 we were driving through Guadalajara and got stopped by motorcycle policeman. He said were were speeding, doing 88klm in an 80KLM zone. They got my picture on the radar cameras and since we had out of country plates, they have to stop me and issue ticket. I told him I would take ticket and pay for it next day to get my drivers license back which is common. He said I was not able to drive my pick up since I would not be in possession of my drivers license and would need to have another person drive. That presented a problem as my insurance may not cover them and they were Mexican nationals and could not drive foreign plated vehicles. The option then turned to getting the truck towed. I complied with getting it towed as I had no choice really. Then the option for me to pay him and he would pay ticket, but only if I agreed it was acceptable. The fine was 2,400P. The money was put into some papers and handed to policeman who returned my drivers license and ownership and we left. I hate doing this and scold anyone I hear to takes the bribe and wish I could relive these moments and do things differently. This is our 15th year spending our winters in Mexico and hope for many many more...
4 REPLIES 4

Talleyho69
Sorry this happened to you, but unfortunately, having foreign plates and being in a big city makes you a target. Most of us that have traveled extensively in Mexico have stories to tell.

No matter how much over the speed limit you were going, if you were over, you were speeding.

For the record, it is legal for a Mexican National to drive a foreign plated vehicle with the owners permission. The insurance, I don't know.

Due to the number of inappropriate posts, this thread is closed.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Their country "their" rules. Always amazed by folks that leave USA and surprised that things are different.
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I understand many RVers love Mexico but I’m just not willing to put up with all the issues. Which side of the wall are you on, 2oldman? lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Did the math and you were only going 5 mph over the speed limit? And that caused you all that headache? Not worth it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE