cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

VALTERRA WASTE GATE MOUNTING POSITON

wtravlr1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't seem to find anything on this. Taking out the cable driving waste valves. May need to put in new waste valve with the handles in the down position. Is there any reason not to position them with the handle down instead of up or sideways?
15 REPLIES 15

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I think you will find the instructions say to mount facing up or sideways
Down may allow for liquid to creep into the pull shaft area , dry up and bind the shaft
Also easier for the cable to operate pulling and passing side ways, that with a 'U' bend in it

Have you looked at the mounting on your Bounder? The may be mounted with the handles down.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
My 23 year old Bounder came with both gate valves mounted with the handles down . NO PROBLEM.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wtravlr1
Explorer
Explorer
neschultz wrote:
Our Winnebago came with one of the grey tank handles facing down. Easy to open.....kinda hard to reach in while bent over and pull it up to close it. No leaks at all.

thanks!

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Our Winnebago came with one of the grey tank handles facing down. Easy to open.....kinda hard to reach in while bent over and pull it up to close it. No leaks at all.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

wtravlr1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Maybe I need to clarify, I was not speaking about leakage but rather the potential issues with "stuff" getting in an area where it can cause difficulty with valve movement. Read the instructions if you need to verify this.

If you can give me a lead to where any instruction for correct angle of install for any of the waste valves might be, I would appreciate it. I cannot seem to find any manufacturers that speak to the angle of valve install. thanks

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I need to clarify, I was not speaking about leakage but rather the potential issues with "stuff" getting in an area where it can cause difficulty with valve movement. Read the instructions if you need to verify this.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our old Class C had the dump valves mounted at a 135ยฐ downward angle and we never had a leakage problem with them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard told you right, do not mount with the handle lower than 90 degrees, and it is best to mount it as near vertical as practical. The "stuff" will not weep or creep into the area where the blade is when open, it will FLOOD in. That area has a gap and there is absolutely no seal or anything to protect that area.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think it will seep out the handle. If that were a problem it would leak no matter the postion.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
wtravlr1 wrote:
UPDATE: The valves will be adequately secured and have enough ground clearance. There should be no problem with valve stability. Just more convenient to mount with handle in down position. I can see a problem with seepage in to handle. Can't find any installation instructions from companies like Valterra.

Something to think about while you are securing everything - do you have a long handled "anything" in your rig (a broom maybe?) where you could fashion a large fork onto one end? Could you stick that fork over a properly placed gate handle and open it? Is there a way to use that handle to also close the valve? Would you need to fashion a couple of fulcrum points to do this? Just saying. Hope that helps.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

wtravlr1
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: The valves will be adequately secured and have enough ground clearance. There should be no problem with valve stability. Just more convenient to mount with handle in down position. I can see a problem with seepage in to handle. Can't find any installation instructions from companies like Valterra.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what your ground clearance might be, but a handle pointing down could manage to snag something. Might bend or brake something and/or might be creating "a new dump station".
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Never seen them mounted down but seems dangerous. If you have to mount them that way, perhaps you can secure them with something.

MrWizard
I think you will find the instructions say to mount facing up or sideways
Down may allow for liquid to creep into the pull shaft area , dry up and bind the shaft
Also easier for the cable to operate pulling and passing side ways, that with a 'U' bend in it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s