cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Correct Size for Slide Topper?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am in the process of repairing damage due to a leak around the slide seals and am considering getting a slide topper to keep some of the rain off of the slide when it's open. I didn't get a topper when I ordered the trailer back in '07 because the salesman said they flap a lot on the wind.

Most of the slide toppers I see on rigs are just a couple inches wider than the slide itself. So, my slide is 12' 8" wide and a 13' topper would give me 2" on either side as overhang. I'm considering going to a 14' topper, that would give me 8" on either side of the slide as overhang. I have the room on the TT sides, there is nothing that would be in the way of installing a longer topper. My thinking is that the longer side overhang would provide better rain shielding for the top corners where the seals meet.

Are there are drawbacks to installing a longer slide topper that provides 8" of overhang on each side?
4 REPLIES 4

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok thanks guys!

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
The arms for the awning have be mounted to the slide out.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Remember, SLIDE FABRIC will be 6 inches SHORTER than the slide length as specified. So, if you look at a 13 foot slide cover, the FABRIC will be 12 foot 6 inches. Doug

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The arms that support the roller on the outside wall of the S/O only extend outward from the edge of the S/O's roof so far. So you really cannot use an awning that is a lot wider than the slide itself.
When you order the unit, they will have directions on sizing. You'll want to follow those to the letter.
I have installed several of them and still believe they are a good idea unless you only camp where it's very windy.
Also, by adding it yourself rather than buying it with the RV, you will probably end up with a much nicer unit. The manufacturers have access to really junky models that you and I cannot buy. I have two of those junkers on my new trailer!
My one piece of advice in installing these is to do so with as much of a slope as is possible. They shed water, wont "pool" and work far better that way.