cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying our first Fifth Wheel

LynandRicky2018
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are just starting to shop for a 5th wheel to begin our camping life. How negotiable are the prices quoted when visiting RV shops. Of course they tell us each time the price they are giving us is the sale price. How do we negotiate that price?
Thanks

Did you read the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!
14 REPLIES 14

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
evanrem wrote:
Look for the cheapest price online and go lower than that. I hear 30 to 35%. Is what you want to shoot for.

That's 30% below MSRP, if you can find an accurate MSRP. Finding an accurate MSRP is easy with some brands, with most not so much.If you're expecting 30 to 35% below the lowest advertised price you can find on the net good luck. Pricing online is all over the board. Some dealers blow the price way up, some have it close to the lowest you'll find or get.

As an example.

When we were looking for our Rockwood Roo 23WS, I could find online pricing from $19,995.00 to $28,995.00.

Rockwood ships an MSRP document with every unit so finding that mythical number is easy as long as the dealer does not remove it or print out his own.

The MythicalSRP on our 2017 Roo was $31000.00

We paid out the door, taxes and everything $20500.00. The taxes (PA 6% sales @ $1152.00) and fees ($150.00) were added to a sales price of $19,198.00. We came to that $19.2K number when I told the semi local dealer who carried the line, that I was prepared to drive to the other side of the state and purchase from the dealer who advertised online for $19995.00.

As a comparison I was also quoted $20,000.00 at RV Wholesalers, but that price comes with some caveats which I won't get into.

If I would of expected 30% below the lowest advertised online price, that would of been $13995.00. I sure would have liked to pay $14K, but not going to happen.

All of that said I have run into two other people who purchased the same model at about the same time. One paid $22,999 prior to taxes/fees. another $27,500.00. I also had an online conversation with a lady who purchased the same model for $23,500.00.

Do your research, join a few forums and see if you can find some members who have the same model they purchased recently. Send them a PM and ask nicely, most will tell you what they paid and not BS you. You can leave a lot laying on the table with dealers if you don't know what you're dealing with on a realistic basis. Get as many quotes as you can get online. If RVW, Couches RV Nation, and some of the other self proclaimed wholesalers carry the brand and model your interested in, get quotes from them. These dealers all pay the manufacturers the same, any that tell you they are wholesale or get volume discounts is a load of horsepoop. The only difference is transportation cost from factory to dealer.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
ChuckV1 wrote:
Look around, go to different dealers, look at different brands, different models an price ranges. You will see that everyone on this form has what they think is the greatest 5th in the world ...

Form you own mind on what your likes an dislikes are, set a price range, in some case's you can buy a new 5th wheel for what some dealers want for used 5th wheels ...

Go to the larger RV shows were MFG's are there along with dealers if your looking for new, at these larger shows you can get better deals on new stuff that may be better than the used stuff you been looking at an you get a warranty as well ....

As another person stated more than likely you 1st 5th wheel is not the one you will end up with, it will take a couple before you really feel like it is you home away from home ๐Ÿ™‚

a) Do not let what I call bing/glitter trick you, look at functionality, sit in the trailer your looking at for maybe a 1/2 hour, roam around in it, act as if you were camping an cooking it it ...

b) See how it fells to pull things out of the frig, off shelves, lay in the bed, see if it feel right to you, open close draws, cabinet's ...

c) See how the trailer is setup, is there manual or hydraulic jacks an landing gear, what is needed to set such up ...

d) see how the water an sewer is hooked up along with cable, what is needed to set such up ...

Most dealers will not warranty a used 5th wheel, the paper work will say "AS IS" an that means when you drive off the lot your stuck with what you got an any repairs are you !!!

As someone said 30 percent off MSRP is the norm !!!, do not pay full price for a new unit nor would I pay full price or asking price for a used unit !!!

Think were you are going to camp after your buy your 5th wheel, are you looking to stay in National Parks, state parks or just travel an stay at different camp grounds or KOA's... Remember that allot of National an State campgrounds have smaller spaces so at 40 or 45ft 5th wheel may not fit in some of them, we have a 40ft 5th wheel an stay outside National an State parks in camp grounds that we can fit into an then take day trips into such ...

Also if you have never pulled or back at 5th wheel you need to find someone to teach you the ins an outs of doing such ... So but not all truck driving schools will do this but not all ... If you can not find a driving school to do so ask around to some of your friends an see if they have or know someone with a 5th wheel that can help you ...

Lastly do not let a salesman tell you that you can pull a 40ft 14,000pd or even a 11,000pds 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton pickup, you need a 3/4 ton pickup or better a 1 ton pickup to pull the bigger 5th wheels safely ...

Remember it not if you can pull the trailer, it's if you can stop the the rig an trailer in an emergency safety an pull such safety around others on the HWY around you ....

Safe Travels

Very well said.. 2 thumbs up!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Have you been RVing before? If this a first ever RV, shop used. Dont get suckered into a brand new and lose 30% the minute you tow it off the lot.

Whatever your budget.....spend that on a well researched quality โ€œUsedโ€! You will have a far superior unit than an inferior โ€œnewโ€! And....if you want to sell, your loss percentage will be lees than the loss on a new unit!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
Look for the cheapest price online and go lower than that. I hear 30 to 35%. Is what you want to shoot for.

^^This

Anyone experiencing a 30% loss when driving off the lot didn't follow this advice.

I've bought new and I've bought used. You can overpay both ways and you can get a good deal both ways. Buying new isn't nearly the bad choice as many make it out to be. But, it's true, there can be better value in a used unit.

My last couple units have been new and I'm likely to continue on that track in the future. I paid around 60-65% of MSRP and come sale time was happy with what I paid for the usage I got.

Buying new or used you have to do your research and be willing to walk away. Don't fall in love with a certain unit and put logic and good negotiating aside. The last unit I bought I had a number the dealer wouldn't meet so I left. I was 10 minutes away and they called and said okay.... so I turned around. That price was about $1000 more than I could have driven 500 miles and gotten the same thing for. To me, it was worth spending $1000 to save myself the drive and to have a local dealer for warranty.

RV purchases often come down to decisions like how far you're willing to drive to save XX amount of money. The internet is your friend ๐Ÿ™‚

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
How do you negotiate?

Same as any other negotiation.
- Determine what you are willing to pay.
- Ask for a price.
- Respond with a lower price (well below your max price).
- They adjust their price.
- You adjust your price.
- Repeat until you come to agreement.
- Never adjust your price above what you are willing to pay.
- If you can't reach an agreement walk away (key point, don't fall in love with a particular unit or they have you).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Admin
Moved to Fifth Wheels from Forum Technical Support

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have cash or a guaranteed loan from other than the dealer, start at 30% off MSRP, and settle for no less than 25% off.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Look around, go to different dealers, look at different brands, different models an price ranges. You will see that everyone on this form has what they think is the greatest 5th in the world ...

Form you own mind on what your likes an dislikes are, set a price range, in some case's you can buy a new 5th wheel for what some dealers want for used 5th wheels ...

Go to the larger RV shows were MFG's are there along with dealers if your looking for new, at these larger shows you can get better deals on new stuff that may be better than the used stuff you been looking at an you get a warranty as well ....

As another person stated more than likely you 1st 5th wheel is not the one you will end up with, it will take a couple before you really feel like it is you home away from home ๐Ÿ™‚

a) Do not let what I call bing/glitter trick you, look at functionality, sit in the trailer your looking at for maybe a 1/2 hour, roam around in it, act as if you were camping an cooking it it ...

b) See how it fells to pull things out of the frig, off shelves, lay in the bed, see if it feel right to you, open close draws, cabinet's ...

c) See how the trailer is setup, is there manual or hydraulic jacks an landing gear, what is needed to set such up ...

d) see how the water an sewer is hooked up along with cable, what is needed to set such up ...

Most dealers will not warranty a used 5th wheel, the paper work will say "AS IS" an that means when you drive off the lot your stuck with what you got an any repairs are you !!!

As someone said 30 percent off MSRP is the norm !!!, do not pay full price for a new unit nor would I pay full price or asking price for a used unit !!!

Think were you are going to camp after your buy your 5th wheel, are you looking to stay in National Parks, state parks or just travel an stay at different camp grounds or KOA's... Remember that allot of National an State campgrounds have smaller spaces so at 40 or 45ft 5th wheel may not fit in some of them, we have a 40ft 5th wheel an stay outside National an State parks in camp grounds that we can fit into an then take day trips into such ...

Also if you have never pulled or back at 5th wheel you need to find someone to teach you the ins an outs of doing such ... So but not all truck driving schools will do this but not all ... If you can not find a driving school to do so ask around to some of your friends an see if they have or know someone with a 5th wheel that can help you ...

Lastly do not let a salesman tell you that you can pull a 40ft 14,000pd or even a 11,000pds 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton pickup, you need a 3/4 ton pickup or better a 1 ton pickup to pull the bigger 5th wheels safely ...

Remember it not if you can pull the trailer, it's if you can stop the the rig an trailer in an emergency safety an pull such safety around others on the HWY around you ....

Safe Travels

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I will agree with donn above - purchase used the first time because until you are in it for a year or so, you really don't know what you need vs. what is pretty or what you THINK you want. With a used one, you won't lose all the depreciation that the RV loses when you drive it off the lot. Look for something that is a 3-4 years old, but looks to have been taken care of. Have someone that is RV-savvy (friend, co-worker, RV tech) take a look at it and look for any water damage and to make sure all of the systems are in working order.

Your 2nd or 3rd RV will be what you actually need and will be happy with.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Prices are very negotiable especially at RV shows. A 30% discount is about average so don't let the MSRP scare you off. If your offer is refused then get up and walk away. If they chase you down then they can go lower. If they don't chase you down then you've found the lowest price they'll agree to.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Have you been RVing before? If this a first ever RV, shop used. Dont get suckered into a brand new and lose 30% the minute you tow it off the lot.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Very negotiable - much more so than automobiles.
Ask for at least 30% off and work your way back.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask a moderator to move this to the proper sub-forum. Forum Technical Support is for technical help with the web site itself.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015