cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low profile aux fuel tank

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a low profile auxiliary fuel tank for short bed Ram 2500 that will fit under Solid Fold bed cover and still have access to fill without removing the bed cover. Bed cover extends about 28โ€ from front of bed. Any suggestions?
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold
12 REPLIES 12

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recycle, alter etc used Combine tanks and install for auxiliary tank.
Conventional Gleaner combine tanks are low and look good. The filler is top centre so I had a rad shop move it to the end. Paint and then clad with bright checker aluminum or paint to match your truck.
Filler is lower than box rail and hold 70 gal.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have an RDS tank that fits below the rails. I also have a tonneau cover that rolls up.

I had looked into a hard, foldable cover but found that even though the tank sits below the rails, there was interference with the hard cover's mechanicals that were attached to the underside and extended below the top of the rails. So I went to Plan B.

But I found that I really liked the roll-up.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks JTrac
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
JTrac wrote:
jamesroadking wrote:
This is what I've been thinking of, these portable diesel tanks with pumps.

http://www.enduraplas.com/product-category/endura-refueling-management/diesel-transfer-tanks/

I just ordered the 25 gallon version. I did not want anything permanent or large. At 19" high it will fit under my bed cover. Hope it works. There is a 55 gallon low profile version but I think it sat a little higher. With my 48 gallon stock tank that will be more fuel than we need for one of our day's travel.

Very interested. How much do they sell for?

$544.97 at www.ruralking.com. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link. Best price I could find and free shipping. The website says they are shipped from the factory. Of course, since I ordered mine last week they are now offering a 12% rebate off everything. I don't know if these are excepted or not.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
bigorange wrote:
Iโ€™m okay with folding the cover back but didnโ€™t want to have to take it off completely (it extends about 28โ€ from the front of the bed at its shortest)

The RDS would be very difficult to fill in that scenario. I would say that the fill on mine is within about 12" off the bed wall.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
JTrac wrote:
jamesroadking wrote:

http://www.enduraplas.com/product-category/endura-refueling-management/diesel-transfer-tanks/

I just ordered the 25 gallon version. I did not want anything permanent or large. At 19" high it will fit under my bed cover. Hope it works. There is a 55 gallon low profile version but I think it sat a little higher. With my 48 gallon stock tank that will be more fuel than we need for one of our day's travel.

Very interested. How much do they sell for?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m okay with folding the cover back but didnโ€™t want to have to take it off completely (it extends about 28โ€ from the front of the bed at its shortest)
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 60 gallon RDS that I am pretty sure would fit under your bed cover.

When you say be able to fill without removing the bed cover, I assume you are ok with rolling the cover back, right?

If not, you should consider one of the replacement tanks (Titan is the one I hear the most about). I like the idea of saving bed space, but couldn't get on board with the cost for just a small increase in capacity.

For the record, my aux fuel tank is one of the best mods I have ever done to any truck. Sure is nice to stop for fuel when you want to, and not have to search out a station that can accommodate truck/trailer/boat when I am traveling.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
jamesroadking wrote:

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
KSH in lake Havasu az will build any tank you want for a custom fit.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Look at RDS and JME tanks. They have many low profile models. Both are top quality as well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold