cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question going from 15" to 16" tires

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
I will be upgrading to 16" but am a little concerned about distance between the front and rear tires. With the current 225/75/15's, I have roughly 4 1/4" clearance between the tires. With 235/85/16's I figure there would be 2.5" which doesn't seem like very much.

There is also the 235/80/16 size which is not quite as tall and would have about 3.4" of clearance. I prefer the taller size because the trailer is a little nose high with the stock tires and the 235/85's would help level it. What is the usual clearance with that size tire/wheel combination. Thanks for any help.
2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX 8,268 UVW 11,754 GVWR
2007 Ram 2500 QC SB 4x4 Smarty tuned 5.9 Cummins
B&W Turnover Ball & Andersen Ultimate
40 REPLIES 40

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice! Fresh tires, that's refreshing.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get them installed, please let us know how much space you have between them.

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Nevadastars wrote:
Well, I ordered the 235/80/16 GY Endurance tires from Discount Tire. They price matched the lowest price I could find, plus have a $50 rebate Goodyear has with Discount Tire. I think they have been out close to a year now and I have yet to find anything bad about them after searching all over the net.

Like I said, I will also get TPMS monitors which will greatly reduce a chance of under inflation, a main reason for tires exploding. They will give me a lot more peace of mind than the 225/75/15 D range China bombs currently on our rig.

Can't remember but my ENDURANCE tires were VERY fresh, seems like less than 2 mo old. Please report back the build date on yours.

I have to say after 5 sets of tires purchased from Discount Tire I am more than happy with the service and pricing from them.

Got the tires today and they were built between October and December of last year, 40th, 45th, 46, and 50th week of 2017. They seem VERY stout and should work well for our uses.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
While speaking to the CA West Coast GY Rep I asked him about the ENDURANCE and how it has been doing. He said it's a fairly new tire but it has been trouble free so far. IMHO one year on the market with good reviews does mean something. Yes more time will say even more.

My Son put a set on his 24' speed boat tandem axle trailer last Summer and towed from NW WA to DFW, TX traveling at 75mph most of the way, he did have a leaking valve stem. Called ahead to the next Discount tire got right in and on his way.

Hopefully they will have a better track record then their big bother the G614

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
Basically the same thing I have read all over the internet. These actually have quite a bit more load range than an LT in the same size.

We don't have a real heavy trailer and don't do real long trips, so I'm not worried about them whatsoever. I do plan on getting a TPMS system to go with them.

All ST tires have more load capacity the a same size LT tire.
However that in itself doesn't mean much as far as long term reliability which is one of the bigger reasons many trailer owners (rv and non rv ) use a LT class tire that meets the trailers axle requirements at a minimum.
Good idea on a TPMS system if running a ST E/D/C poly carcass tire.

ST tires simply have close to zero "reserve" capacity, they just rate them right to the edge of their design. LTs, since they are passenger rated, have a safety "reserve", which is, more or less, a down-rating of their max design capacity, to give more "reserve". I was told decades ago, by 3 or 4 auto-engineer types (mostly from the GM Proving Grounds) that passenger tires have about a 25% "reserve" load capacity over the sidewall rating.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Nevadastars wrote:
Well, I ordered the 235/80/16 GY Endurance tires from Discount Tire. They price matched the lowest price I could find, plus have a $50 rebate Goodyear has with Discount Tire. I think they have been out close to a year now and I have yet to find anything bad about them after searching all over the net.

Like I said, I will also get TPMS monitors which will greatly reduce a chance of under inflation, a main reason for tires exploding. They will give me a lot more peace of mind than the 225/75/15 D range China bombs currently on our rig.

Can't remember but my ENDURANCE tires were VERY fresh, seems like less than 2 mo old. Please report back the build date on yours.

I have to say after 5 sets of tires purchased from Discount Tire I am more than happy with the service and pricing from them.

They are awesome to deal with. A few years ago I bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers for my truck. 5 or 6 months later, I picked up a screw in the edge of the tread/sidewall which could not be plugged.

I called Discount Tire up to order another tire and the guy said...."I see you did not get our road hazard policy". So, he sold me the policy which covered the damaged tire and was about $30 cheaper than actually buying a new tire. Plus the policy covered the rest of my tires. That impressed me and I became a customer for life.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nevadastars wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Nevadastars wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
While speaking to the CA West Coast GY Rep I asked him about the ENDURANCE and how it has been doing. He said it's a fairly new tire but it has been trouble free so far. IMHO one year on the market with good reviews does mean something. Yes more time will say even more.

My Son put a set on his 24' speed boat tandem axle trailer last Summer and towed from NW WA to DFW, TX traveling at 75mph most of the way, he did have a leaking valve stem. Called ahead to the next Discount tire got right in and on his way.

A guy on the Wildcat forum just put a set on his because the dealer said they have sold a lot of them and have heard of no issues whatsoever and the customers love them. Basically the same thing I have read all over the internet. These actually have quite a bit more load range than an LT in the same size.

We don't have a real heavy trailer and don't do real long trips, so I'm not worried about them whatsoever. I do plan on getting a TPMS system to go with them.

And that's only part of the issue in my opinion with using LT tires, weight rating!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Why switch? Es at 2800 pounds aren’t enough?

The Es I had on a former RV I had were rated at 3450# on a 235/80/16 tire...not sure where your getting 2800# unless your thinking a 15" tire.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Just did the same, got the tires, wheels from discount tire, 1005.00 dollars sold my old tires wheels for 400 dollars , peace of mind is worth a lot!

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Basically the same thing I have read all over the internet. These actually have quite a bit more load range than an LT in the same size.

All ST tires have more load capacity the a same size LT tire.
However that in itself doesn't mean much as far as long term reliability which is one of the bigger reasons many trailer owners (rv and non rv ) use a LT class tire that meets the trailers axle requirements at a minimum.
Good idea on a TPMS system if running a ST E/D/C poly carcass tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

A guy on the Wildcat forum just put a set on his because the dealer said they have sold a lot of them and have heard of no issues whatsoever and the customers love them. Basically the same thing I have read all over the internet. These actually have quite a bit more load range than an LT in the same size.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III