cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A grid tied hybrid system that could be used on an RV!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This is the best I've seen.

hybrid grid tied
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
26 REPLIES 26

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The Magnum hybrid inverter/charger is a highly sophisticated unit that allows input from shore power and the microinverters, or from a generator and the microinverters. It eliminates the need for a charge controller.

As well, the Magnum allows blended power to be used. i.e. when demand is too great for a generator, the excess demand is provided from the battery bank.
I don't think the MS-PAE inverter combines power with the supply. The inverters are stackable if you need more than 4000 watts(2000 per leg). This really only works on a 50 amp RV as it is all designed for standard split phase 240/120 service. May need a split phase generator too. And I think battery charging with 15 amps 120v will just be through your independent converter. Battery is 24 or 48 volt only so you will need a new converter and DC/DC to supply 12v.

Don Rowe has the MS4024PAE inverter listed at $1,800.

Seems a bit overkill for an RV unless existing equipment is all 120/240 and you are going 2000+ watts of panels.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

That is what I would do, too! I'm not recommending folks change away from systems that are working well. I'm saying folks who wish to upgrade might take a good hard look at this system. Or if they are starting from scratch, this may well be the route to follow.

Itinerant1 wrote:
Pianotuna thanks for the link. I like the way it works even though my plans are to take the system off my 5th wheel when I get tired of traveling and find a remote cabin. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Pianotuna thanks for the link. I like the way it works even though my plans are to take the system off my 5th wheel when I get tired of traveling and find a remote cabin. ๐Ÿ˜‰
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi GordonThree,

Yes.

Here are my "likes"

no charge controller

hybrid inverter

any suitable panel can be used

wire size #12 is more than large enough for any system that would fit on an RV.

Shading of a single panel or even multiple panels becomes almost a non issue.

Most RV's can find room for a 48 volt battery bank.

It may be cheaper overall.

I don't really see any down side to this newer design. If I eventually "redo" my RV I will certainly go this route. One possible quibble is that if the Magnum Inverter/charger fails then there is no work around other than bypassing it entirely. But I'd use male and female plugs to make that as simple as unplugging from one outlet and plugging into another.
Regards, Don

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Don,

If you are plugged into 120v shore power, can you still use the 240v from the PV for charging batteries?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The Magnum hybrid inverter/charger is a highly sophisticated unit that allows input from shore power and the microinverters, or from a generator and the microinverters. It eliminates the need for a charge controller.

As well, the Magnum allows blended power to be used. i.e. when demand is too great for a generator, the excess demand is provided from the battery bank.

theoldwizard1 wrote:

For clean, easy power installation would be an inverter/charger with built in transfer switch AND input for shore power, generator and solar like these from Samlex. You still need a solar charge controller and a DC distribution panel but you no longer need a converter.
Regards, Don

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The whole point of a grid tie inverter is the idea that sometime during the day you will be generate more solar power than what you are consuming and can "bank" that power in "the grid". This seems HIGHLY UNLIKELY for an RV that is going to have a limited amount of solar panels.

For clean, easy power installation would be an inverter/charger with built in transfer switch AND input for shore power, generator and solar like these from Samlex. You still need a solar charge controller and a DC distribution panel but you no longer need a converter.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tradition system

panels-->charge controller-->battery bank-->inverter-->RV

New hybrid system

panels-->microinverter-->hybrid inverter/charger-->battery bank-->RV

The inverter/charger provides the sine wave necessary to activate the micro inverters. Further it controls the output of the micro inverters by changing the frequency.
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

No. The charging is done by the very capable Magnum inverter charger.

The micro inverters are controlled by the Magnum by shifting the frequency.

There is no charge controller as we would have with a DC system. For a large system, that saves several hundred dollars right off the bat.

valhalla360 wrote:
So the charge controller is integrated in with the inverter.

I really don't see much use in an RV application.
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
GordonThree,

The microinverters feed the input of the hybrid inverter/charger. That charger takes care of the batteries. If the sun is down then the inverter draws energy from the battery bank. When the sun rises, the hybrid inverter provides the sine wave power to activate the micro inverters.

GordonThree wrote:
I give up then. Just wanted to know how you charge batteries with a microinverter without backfeeding shore power, but I guess that's a secret.
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi MrWizard,

No, for this particular iteration of grid tied no external power (from shore power) is required for the unit to continue to produce power. The reason for that is that the inverter is a hybrid model. It is designed to continue to work when the grid goes down.
Regards, Don

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
So the charge controller is integrated in with the inverter.

I really don't see much use in an RV application.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
take the output from the micro inverter, and connect to the rv house 120v and power the converter ?

the trouble with grid tie micro inverter is the same as any other Grid tie
it must be connected to 120v supply and sync to it

no exterior 120v,it shuts OFF, no output

How would that be helpful if you're dry camping then? Run a generator to kick the grid tie on?

I'm completely lost on this subject. Why grid tie, why microinverter for an RV?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MrWizard
take the output from the micro inverter, and connect to the rv house 120v and power the converter ?

the trouble with grid tie micro inverter is the same as any other Grid tie
it must be connected to 120v supply and sync to it

no exterior 120v,it shuts OFF, no output
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s