cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to clean water stains on ceiling fabric

beverlto
Explorer
Explorer
My 2006 Winnebago Outlook is great in many ways - but not so great on the details. We bought it two years old from an RV dealer who planned to use it as a rental but never set up a rental department. It was a great deal with very few miles on it.

Flash forward a couple of years and even though I've maintained the motorhome, I've still had to deal with multiple small water leaks. Last summer I finally put a stop to them by fully resealing all the roof penetrations. That did the trick, but now I'm trying to clean up the water stains from the fabric ceiling.

I've tried Spot Shot, Woolite spray foam, a watered-down bleach mixture (suggested on another forum) and Oxyclean pet stain remover. Not only do the stains look bad, but they'll reduce the value of the rig if I try to sell it later on. Has anyone had success in removing them?

Someone mentioned a cleaner like "Woolite Maximum Strength Oxyclean Pet Stain Formula". (The exact name got away from me.) I found it online about a year ago, but it was about $35 per bottle - not available at your neighborhood grocery store. That was a steep price to pay for something that "should work". Has it worked for anyone?

Any help is appreciated!
Tom B.
"If you do not change directions, you will end up where you are going." - Chinese proverb
13 REPLIES 13

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had water stains and tried the peroxide/baking soda paste -- It worked great. A little messy, but I'll use it again if needed. There is absolutely no residue or marks to show a stain was ever there and it does not stick out white, whiter than the rest of the ceiling. Make paste, brush in with a soft brush, let dry, I used a vacuum hose to get all extra off ( it will dry hard like cement). When excess removed, use wet white cloth and clean remained off working from outside to in - let dry and stains will be gone. Heavy stains may required a 2nd treatment, but mine didn't.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Dsuarez22 wrote:
I'm terribly sorry for posting here but I have a similar problem and I'm wondering if you managed to fix this problem

Which problem? the loose a/c unit or the stained ceiling? yes to both, took the grill down from inside the rv and tightened the 4 lag screws holding the roof unit to the rv. That stopped the water leak when driving in the rain. Then as above stated, Folex and carpet cleaner with the carpet cleaner machine.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Dsuarez22
Explorer
Explorer
I can say that it's a really hard situation, I had a similar problem, I couldn't clean my carpet, so I decided to use Google in order to find something about it, and some people on forums advised me to use cleaning services, I was searching for 2 hours for finding a suitable variant and I used service from one place, they provide rug cleaning. I can say that everything started looking as if it was brand new, and I'm pleased with the result. In my opinion, you need to Google something about these services, maybe it will be an expensive thing to buy but maybe it will fix your issue.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
If the liner is the rug-looking fabric, spray an oxyclean/hot water mix on the ceiling, then use a carpet cleaner extractor wand to suck out the liquid.

Right on, I used my Bissell carpet cleaner with the furniture wand and Folex and a splash of the normal Bissell carpet cleaner. My water stain was at the edges of the ceiling mounted a/c duct that leaked water when the a/c mounting screws loosened up in a rain storm. My ceiling was almost black about 4-7 inches all around that a/c unit. Looks almost perfect now. Folex is sold at Home Depot.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
You all might think I am crazy, but here goes. In a past life I have improved worn out automotive carpets by spray painting them. White spray paint will do wonders on fabric ceiling coverings. Just be careful of over spray.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
What worked best for me, and I have tried various 'prepared' products like oxyclean, awesome, various carpet cleaners etc. was a 25/75 mix of bleach and water in a spray bottle. I cover the area below with a tarp, spray it on and let it dry. Stains are gone. No rubbing. Next time though I might try Folex.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
If the ceiling is covered with that kind of fabric.

I have had great luck with Folex,on my ceilings just spray it on and BLOT don't rub,you will be amazed at how it lifts out the stains.

It may take more than one application but it took out all of my stains.

You can get it at most big box home improvement stores or Amazon check out the reviews and pictures.

This ^^^
Worked for me.
Spray liberally and blot, donโ€™t rub. Your triceps will get a workout.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the liner is the rug-looking fabric, spray an oxyclean/hot water mix on the ceiling, then use a carpet cleaner extractor wand to suck out the liquid.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I had to pull down the front 4 feet of the Ozite in the Sahara to re-attached it. While it was down, I hit it with Clorox cleaner with bleach. Like new.

The trouble is if you bleach it in place, it will stain from the glue. Google "cleaning Ozite". A few days' reading.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My "go to" for ceiling "mouse fur" water stains is Clorox general purpose spray cleaner. If your ceiling isn't very close to white, test it in an obscure area first of course.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the ceiling is covered with that kind of fabric.

I have had great luck with Folex,on my ceilings just spray it on and BLOT don't rub,you will be amazed at how it lifts out the stains.

It may take more than one application but it took out all of my stains.

You can get it at most big box home improvement stores or Amazon check out the reviews and pictures.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MrWizard
i have had fair luck with the Awesome Brand OF "Oxygen Orange"
dampen spot with wet cloth
spray 'OO' rub in with damp cloth
blot up with dry cloth, repeat
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get yourself some 30% hydrogen peroxide and a spray bottle and spray the stains. Be sure to have eye protection and rubber gloves, as the stuff is pretty hard on the skin and don't breath in the spray.