cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Inexpensive Class A or a Used, Well-known Class-A ???

ezrider999
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are retired and plan to tour the U.S. We have an RV budget of about $100,000, and have not owned an RV in the last 30 years. I want to get opinions on whether to buy a very inexpensive new Class A such as the brand new Fleetwood Axon 29M, which has a full wall slide and a king bed. I love this spacious floorplan but I'm quite sure many corners were cut to get the price point so low. Or, am I better off buying a tried-and-true Class A such as a Fleetwood Bounder, used and in good condition, with under 50,000 miles? I would definitely buy an extended warranty with a used coach. Thanks for your feedback.
25 REPLIES 25

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
My experience: I opted to buy a used higher end unit. I had it inspected prepurchase. I did not buy an extended warranty plan.
I'm very happy with our purchase, we've gotten several compliments on our 10 yo coach. The higher quality really shows even though it's a little older.

Concerning the extended warranty, we would have broken even if we had bought one. We did have to replace the inverter and fix the air conditioner and furnace, items that either broke after purchase or the inspector didn't catch. But I think we're actually ahead on the warranty issue because we didn't have the issue of having to deal with the warranty people to get the items fixed. The cost to fix these items was about the same as a 1 yr warranty.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like you're looking for a smaller motorhome. Take a look at this one:

http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv_images/monaco/2011--vesta--32PBS--C2068

I think I'd stay away for an inexpensive new one with a full slide. Full slides have problems.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
our thoughts on Class A is diesel vs gas
How they climb hills and some terrain is tough if out west etc.

So the 'guts of it all' is more important than floorplan in a way if your travels need it......but of course once the 'guts of that monster' is known, then of course floorplan is key. King bed a must for us 🙂 and whatever else we require.

it isn't about price sometimes, it is about what is needed to cover how you are going to travel first and go from there.

best of luck in your new venture!!

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We too are looking at used Class A diesel pushers. But the pre2009 units are prone to paint checking so that eliminates a lot of potentially good units.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

ezrider999
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, ohhell10339. Great advice.

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
Plan C. Spend $20,000 on an older A and budget $5,000 to get it thoroughly checked out and any issues fixed. Then go happily RVing. One of three possible outcomes:

1) You love the lifestyle, and you love your RV. You have $75,000 to spend on camping fees and such.
2) You love the lifestyle, but you want a different/newer RV. You sell your RV and buy another one.
3) You hate the lifestyle and you realize you've made a mistake. You sell your RV for pretty much what you paid for it, since older units don't depreciate much.

By contrast, if you dump $100,000 in a new or used unit, extricating yourself might be difficult, and if it was a new unit, costly; you'll get hammered for 25 grand just from driving-it-off-the-lot depreciation.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
ezrider999 wrote:
Thanks to all who replied. I will starjavascript:;t looking for a used one.

Under your circumstances I'd be looking for something like THIS

Built with the best materials by master craftsmen, the electronics will need updating, but that's about all.

Great unit, and as a big plus.... it’s a “pre-emission” ( no DEF, etc. to deal with) Diesel!

This versus a Fleetwood product.....Pinto versus Lincoln! IMHO
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ezrider999 wrote:
Thanks to all who replied. I will starjavascript:;t looking for a used one.

Under your circumstances I'd be looking for something like THIS

Built with the best materials by master craftsmen, the electronics will need updating, but that's about all.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The “right” answer is what works for you.
I’ve always purchased vehicles and toys used. In fact just bought the 2nd new vehicle ever last month. In the almost 30 years I’ve been driving, only had 2 vehicles with any warranty. It works for me because I can and do perform 95 percent of repairs myself.
If I was looking for best value for a class A for under $100k I’d be going used DP.
Find the right one that has been cared for and the repair costs will most likely be less than what you saved over new. Plus the depreciation thing.
And emotionally I just cringe at putting the “first scratch “ in something new, lol.
As I sit here in our 12 year old car while the new one is under a cover in the garage.....so it won’t get wet, lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a class a, but if it were my money, I’d treat it like any other RV.....buy used. Do your research on make, model, options. Then.....shop,shop,shop for your best deal. Be willing to travel....your “best” deal for exactly what you want may be 1000+ miles away. With our last two purchases, we traveled well over 2000 miles. Some weren’t as advertised and some just weren’t quite what we wanted!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been full-timing in a used Monaco for 7 years. It was 10 yrs old when we purchased it but very well cared for and 39,000 miles. We have not been sorry and continue to enjoy a quality build coach that has had very few minor problems.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have cash to spend, look at a 12-14 year old coach, most financing companies will not finance a coach over 10-12 years of age so prices tend to rapidly plummet on coaches over the 10-12 year mark as there are far fewer potential buyers. As a result with a bit of searching you can find some well maintained and often well updated coaches in this age range for around half the price you would pay for the an identical coach that was 9-10 years old.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
We went used 5 years ago. We wanted a well made high quality woodwork cabinet DP. Our budget then was under 100K, so thats where we started. We looked for a year to find the right one. We bought a 32000 mile Beaver DP for under 70K. We had to get tires right away but knew that before we made an offer. They were asking 95K to start with. Good Luck to you....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

ezrider999
Explorer
Explorer
🙂