cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of worn rivets in steps

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
I was loading TC up today and on second step coming out a rivet gave way. Whew, glad I am pretty quick on my feet or I would of face planted on concrete. DH just said something about the rivets the other week. We replaced both rivets on second step with bolts and nuts. So heed the warning and keep an eye out on your steps. It sure coulda been ugly. :E
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.
7 REPLIES 7

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
We had a rivet fail fairly quickly after buying our camper, probably due to manufacturer error. We installed shoulder bolts due to the difference in diameter of the holes in the movable and fixed portion of the joint.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:

Here is the picture. Using phone to do pic is a big pita. Hopefully you can see the bolts.

Pictures are good. Thanks. Looks like you installed new bolts.

Lakeside

lap527
Explorer
Explorer

Here is the picture. Using phone to do pic is a big pita. Hopefully you can see the bolts.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad you are ok. I've never had an RV with riveted steps.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Big hammer tap on the face of the rivet while holding a metal block on the back side of each rivet should be an annual chore.

Glad you did not take the fall. A picture of your steps would be helpful.

Lakeside

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good post!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes! Great to hear you dodged that bullet. Good advice, I'm going to check mine right now.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.