cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Education Tablet for 4 to 10 YO - Used Kindle Fire

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I purchased a used Kindle Fire 8.9 on ebay. Loaded free educational 1st to 3nd grade apps from Amazon. Blocked ALL internet access. The kids loved it.

Now after only a month the table is "broke". The screen and case is still in excellent condition. They played with it plugged into the charger and bent/broke a number of charging cables. I think . . :h. . . they also broke the charging port. Anyway for some reason the table will not turn on after 2 days of charging (with 2 different charger and cables).

I can purchase a used Kindle replacement for about $20.00 on ebay, but I need one that will take the kids abuse longer than a month. Any suggestions on a table that has a more robust charging port?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
10 REPLIES 10

MrWizard
X2 on the cordless charging adapter
The adapter goes on the back of the tablet
And stays plugged into the USB Port
To charge just place/lay the tablet on the charging pad,/stand overnight
Probably cost more than the $20 tablet
No plugging and unplugging the USB charger cable
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to buy another one get the the new Kindle 8". Much better than the 7". It is probably the BEST 8" tablet for that price point. The only things I wish it had was a HDMI port and a built in GPS, but those would just be bonuses.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Consider a micro USB magnetic charging adapter. They're quite low profile now. The adapter permanently occupies the charging port, and it's mating end lives on the charging cable.

The two ends are held together with magnets, so no mechanical torque will transfer to the port as the connection makes and breaks.

This won't help your existing broken tablet but will make a replacement last longer.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Breaking charge port is common problem on kindle - not surprised that 4 year old had problem. You might consider having the child bring it to you for recharging.
Kevin

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, toedtoes, my my. A real parent, grandparent, teaching proper, careful behavior.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 4 year old is a bit young, so this would be more difficult, however for the 10 year old this zhould work:

Show them the proper way to plug and unplug the tablet. Then explain that you do not replace items destroyed/lost by carelessness. If it simply wears out from use, that is fine. But if it is lost, dropped, cords pulled out wrong, etc., then you will not replace it.

Then stick to your guns.

I did this with my niece on stuff like this. When she ruined her mp3 player I bought her, she learned I was serious. She was much more careful with my future gifts - whereas she continued to be careless with her other belongings.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, that can make it really tough. We bought a cheap tablet for her to use at home and we keep the good tablets here. OTOH she is very good about pulling the power cord straight out.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
I think you'll just have to teach the young ones to be more careful. We have no trouble with our 6 year old great granddaughter. It just takes a slightly careful hand, not a big deal.

You are correct. The problem is the GGKs live with the divorced mother, my ex Grand Daughter-in-law. Hard for me to control how they use the tablet.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the...table...is gone, gone, gone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most charging ports are micro USB and aren't very sturdy. I think you'll just have to teach the young ones to be more careful. We have no trouble with our 6 year old great granddaughter. It just takes a slightly careful hand, not a big deal.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"