cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cherokee,NC

bsr79
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about going to Cherokee, Nc this summer. We have a 33' FW with a 2016 Chevy duramax 2500 cc. I'm not that concerned with power or braking to some extent. Before we go in going to go thru the fw's brakes. But, the route shows us going thru the national park. We have been there several time without a trailer and I know the route has plenty of twists and turns. Those that have gone to Cherokee from the TN side what is the preferred route? I was also considering just getting a hotel for one night and just keeping the camper on the tn side of the mountains.
10 REPLIES 10

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
440 miles going over 441 by way of the NP
461 miles Chattanooga to 74 to Cherokee
473 miles by way of I40 to 276 to 19 Maggie valley Cherokee

anything but towing over 441, it can be done but your truck will not like you.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like itโ€™s trying to send you down 441. Iโ€™d go โ€œaroundโ€ by using I-40 to 74 I think it is.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Stay off 19 and take 74 if you go.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't find a campground you like in Cherokee take a look at Tuckaseegee RV Resort near Whittier Nc. Not far from Cherokee and very well run on the banks of the Tuckaseegee river.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe you can go through the park,Gatlinburg to Cherokee, with your 5er because of the tunnels. I've been over that road many times and would not attempt it with my rig even if it was legal. I have only seen 1 small TT on that road. Gatlinburg north to I-40 then east to Jonathan Creek Road Exit then south to Maggie Valley then south to Cherokee is how I go now. About 2-3 hrs. We like Smokemont CG in the park near Cherokee (no hookups) if your set-up for that. Several commercial cgs near Cherokee but I am not familiar with them. Bryson City 5-10 miles from Cherokee and Waynesville approx. 25-30 miles are interesting and Nantahala Gorge and river are great for kayaking or rafting. Ashville with Biltmore House is about 1 1/2 hrs from Cherokee, touring Biltmore House can take most of 1 day. "Unto to these hills" drama in Cherokee,outdoors at night in the woods is the story of the trail of tears and was very well done when we have seen it. UP THE CREEK cg in Pigeon Forge is our favorite on the TN side. Nice sites, good hook-ups,"NO"other amenities except the creeks, more like camping used to be.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Both of the routes suggested above by Jaycocamrs and Ken56 are good ones. I have towed a fifth-wheel over both at different times. I have always enjoyed the drive through Natahala Gorge, but I also enjoy Maggie Valley and have stayed at Creekside RV Park on 276.

You have two good choices. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
I-40 to North Carolina Rt. 276, exit 20, to Rt. 19 through Maggie Valley and on into Cherokee. You are still going to have some good hills but not as bad as going through New Found Gap on 441.

Where would you be staying on the TN side?

And OMG, DO NOT go 129 on the south edge of the Nat'l Park. That is the infamous Tail of the Dragon. Google it.

Think Tail of the Dragon is now limited to either 22' or 30'LOA. Did it a couple years ago in the truck. Grades are not bad but, oh the turns. Motion sickness does not usually bother the DW but the Dragon got to her.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 to North Carolina Rt. 276, exit 20, to Rt. 19 through Maggie Valley and on into Cherokee. You are still going to have some good hills but not as bad as going through New Found Gap on 441.

Where would you be staying on the TN side?

And OMG, DO NOT go 129 on the south edge of the Nat'l Park. That is the infamous Tail of the Dragon. Google it.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
For the small mileage difference go south to I-40, take I-840 over to I-24 down and down to Chattanooga. I-75 north to exit 20 and US-74 up to Cherokee. Most of US-74 is four lane, the 2 sections that are not are the Ocoee and Nantahala gorges. This route keep you out of Nashville, Knoxville & Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg. IMHO US-441 thru the park is a better choice than US-129 around the south edge.
Towed our 35โ€™ 5โ€™th wheel up US-74 from Chattanooga several times with a 05 3500 Chevy without issue.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think a hotel is a good idea, otherwise I-40 to 23.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...