Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at the Jayco Talon 313T - Bought It

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
(Note: weight and truck police welcome)
Made a big mistake and to the RV show last weekend with the DW. Going in we agreed that we are not buying anything except maybe a new chair since hers broke last year.

Didnโ€™t see much in toy haulers but then came across the new Jayco Talon units. The one at the show was the 393T and we really liked it. So much that now we are seriously thinking about upgrading out of our Puma 298FQU. Looking at the specs, I think the 393T is too heavy but the 313T looks to have potential.

Years ago I downloaded off this site a weight demonstrator and it worked pretty good when researching the Puma.

The Puma 298FQU has a GVWR Iโ€™d 12,190. Fully loaded with our junk, it weighed in at about 10,400lbs with a 2,300 pin weight. The rear axle GAWR of my 2002 2500HD is rated at 6080 lbs and the scale with assumed loading came in at 5,411 lbs. So 673lb under GAWR.

Total GCW came in around 17,560lbs so 4,440lbs under the 22,000lbs listed in the manual for the truck.

Using the published rates for the Jayco Talon 10,800lb dry with a 2,300pin and a total 16,000 GVW, I ran the weight demonstrator with our 2,500lbs of added ****.

The Jayco weights came in a s follows:
gross vehicle weight is around 13,250lbs
Pin weight 2,241lbs with the toys set all the way in the back.
Total GCW: 20,400lbs.

So, The results are the Jayco Talon is 3,000lbs heavier and the pin weight is similar to what we are running now. Dimensionally, the unit is 8โ€™ longer, wheel base 22โ€ longer, 8โ€ wider and 12โ€ taller.

The key is always running with the toys in the back so the pin doesnโ€™t get too heavy. Without taking it to the scale, it seems like the old truck should handle it. The 8.1/Allison combo should handle the extra 3,000lbs. It already sucks on gas so whatโ€™s another 3,000 lbs.

I know a dually will pull this but not interested at this time on making a TV change as well. Is my logic making sense?
2018 GMC Seirra 3500 Denali SRW
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2019 Polaris XP1000 Trail and Rocks edition
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats
13 REPLIES 13

misnerb
Explorer
Explorer
I am also looking at buying a 313t and pulling it with a Ram 2500 diesel. So I am curious as to how your truck is handling this fine new toy hauler. Have you weighed it to see what the GCW?
TIA, Bill

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, we're using ours every weekend and still haven't had any issues. I agree with the bells and whistles, they are fairly bare bones but are constructed the same as the much higher priced Seismic. My kids race dirt bikes so it's already getting dirty and abused and I can't see dropping 80K in a toy hauler for our kind of use.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Y-Guy
Congrats, enjoy the daylights out of it!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW so happy you got your new hauler and are going to enjoy the heck out of it!! CONGRATS!! Sweet!!

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Talon and couldn't be happier. For the money, it's a pretty nice unit. Ended up getting a really good deal on a new unit, not one that was built last summer.

It's a toned down version of the Seismic with less bells and whistles which we don't mind. I think they go way overboard with the toy haulers with the gingerbread that gets installed. About the only thing I would change would to put a better sound system in. The stereo is pretty basic in this unit. We changed out the bed with the residential mattress from out old unit and life is good.

Took if for its shakedown trip last weekend and everything works, though we have couple issues to be addressed. Actually, 2 serious issues. The fuel station pump leaked while filling the truck and we have a propane leak on by the drivers side tank. The fuel station looks like they did not screw in the hoses all the way but not sure about the propane leak. I opened the door to close the tank valve and got a good whiff of propane. upon further inspection, there is a little regulator in line and I could hear some hissing coming from it.
The propane system was working fine when we did our PDI so not sure where this came from. Need to call the dealer today to get those two fixed.

2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^. Think youโ€™re right. Itโ€™s crickets out there. We really like them as they are nice and clean and donโ€™t weight like a Sherman tank.

Hope to pull the trigger on one this week and have ready by our first camping trip of the season next month.
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
ugeesta wrote:
Bump.

Getting bids for the 313t this week and hope to have one by our first camping date. Iโ€™d love to hear from current Talon owners to see how their units are performing.

They're still new so I doubt you'll get much response, it's even quite over on the Jayco forum.

Mine's been great so far aside from a few minor issues. I don't personally think the cabinetry is quite the same as my previous Jayco's. But so far we love it. We have the 413. If you even think you may upgrade trucks at some point, I'd at least look at the 413.

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
Bump.

Getting bids for the 313t this week and hope to have one by our first camping date. Iโ€™d love to hear from current Talon owners to see how their units are performing.
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
ugeesta wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
Personally I think you'll be ok. I can see the overall size increase being more of an issue than the weight, assuming you have a CCSB. I went from a 2005 2500HD to a 2015 Ram 2500 and the handling of our travel trailer was night and day.

BTW, nice choice on the Talon. We pick up our 413T in the morning !!

Congrats on the new trailer. Post some pics when you can.

Yes, the trailer is big. The stealer has the 393T in the yard behind a 1ton dually (fresh move from the rv snow) and that 1 ton truck looked small.

Looking again at my calculations, Iโ€™m already a couple hundred pounds over my trucks GVR. The 313T would add another 300ish pounds going to a 20% ratio on the pin.

My enthusiasm for a new trailer is waning.....

It's nose high at the moment, working on that. Expected the truck to squat more than it did.

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

ugeesta
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
Personally I think you'll be ok. I can see the overall size increase being more of an issue than the weight, assuming you have a CCSB. I went from a 2005 2500HD to a 2015 Ram 2500 and the handling of our travel trailer was night and day.

Congrats on the new trailer. Post some pics when you can.

Yes, the trailer is big. The stealer has the 393T in the yard behind a 1ton dually (fresh move from the rv snow) and that 1 ton truck looked small.

Looking again at my calculations, Iโ€™m already a couple hundred pounds over my trucks GVR. The 313T would add another 300ish pounds going to a 20% ratio on the pin.

My enthusiasm for a new trailer is waning.....
2018 Jayco Talon 313t
2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS
1 wife & 5 cats

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
In theory, your plan may work. Unloading the pin weight to near 17 percent could lead to handling/chucking issues. In reality I think you could end up over your RAWR, after adding 2,500 lbs to considered TH. In any case, the truck will likely tow it, and everyone has their own comfort level, as to what is acceptable when towing.

Jerry

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
I have not weighed my trailer with or without toys in the back, but there are people that have weighed them, and with that big of a toyhauler, the weight in the back made very little difference in pin weight. FYI
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's