cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good map of Canada

AmasaJulie
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip in 2019 into Canada—-maybe heading to Quebec or maybe going to Banff. We are not sure. Anyway when I plan a trip, I like to start with a really good print map. Right now I use the National Geographic US/Canada atlas for all our US RV travel.

However... the Canada portion of this atlas doesn’t seem to be as detailed and is difficult to use. Each province is split up across different pages and it doesn’t have good detail in terms of secondary highways.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Canada paper atlas? I’d like to have access to the whole country, because I’ve not decided where we’re headed to next.
13 REPLIES 13

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
your welcome
have a great trip !
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:

backroad map books

I like these ,includes topo,paddling routes ,trails ,rail ,dirt ,gravel ,ice all kinds of roads very dense.Fishing ,hunting versions,Very large scale .

Nice suggestion... Will be ordering the one for Labrador and Newfoundland.

Thanks
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

backroad map books

I like these ,includes topo,paddling routes ,trails ,rail ,dirt ,gravel ,ice all kinds of roads very dense.Fishing ,hunting versions,Very large scale .
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
For maps that have essentially every road write to the Province you wish to visit and get a "grid road map".

The maps from CAA and AAA are quite good, especially if they are Province specific.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
When we went to Alaska a few years ago, I purchased a Canada map off Amazon. It was adequate.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
woodhog wrote:
We use these in our work, traveling in a lot of remote areas in the
Maritimes..
They are good maps, you can pick some up in the Walmarts, but probably best to order and have the ones you want.

Good Maps Canada

A Walmart product is still commercial. I can't imagine Walmart with its priorities giving as good information as a province for it's own places. Please see above for more reasons to get 'provincial maps'.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
We use these in our work, traveling in a lot of remote areas in the
Maritimes..
They are good maps, you can pick some up in the Walmarts, but probably best to order and have the ones you want.

Good Maps Canada
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
The most complete maps of Canada are the ones issued by each province.

No commercial map will ever show all there is to show or be up to date. I remember one situation when I worked in Corner Brook and some rvers came to see me. I sent them via a new road which had replace a former railroad track. Their information had nothing about it and sent them a wierd wierd way.

Then I remember having a friend connecting with me in PEI and got one of these on dash things. For a province with a lot of interesting rural places??????????? Do those things think people want to explore historic villages? Seldom.

So, go to www.google.ca , yes, .ca because that's Canada domain and brings up things Canadian over other countries. Search 'name of province and tourism' for each province you may visit. Calling gives you a chance to bring out your special interests. A make sure to ask for a map.

All Canadian provinces have lots of interesting rural features. You find many of these by talking to locals ---- including at grocery stores. When your on a seacoast, 'where do we get the best fish?', 'what is your favourite lobster restaurant?'. 'Is there a place where we can eat lunch and watch whales'?,

& don't forget the visitors centers.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I've been trying to explore Quebec and Labrador on Google. Google likes to hide the roads outside metropolitan areas too unless you zoom so far in.

I will contact the respective provincial tourism bodies and request whatever maps they can provide.

Many thanks!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
AAA has some reasonably decent maps of Canada (and provinces and cities) free if you're a member. I think nonmembers can purchase individual maps, but I'm not absolutely positive about that. Their map of all Canada is handy for overall planning.

You should be able to get maps also by writing/calling/emailing the various province's tourism department or whatever their equivalent is. As I recall, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta had pretty nice maps (and probably Ontario, too, though I don't know if I picked one up); Yukon had a perfectly usable one, though not quite so nice (and there really aren't that many roads to worry there anyhow); and the only free BC ones from the tourist info centers were for the territorial parks and were divvied up into about a half dozen regions, each with their own map, which was nice for finding the parks but not quite so nice for planning a substantial trip. The BC park ones were not quite so complete in terms of which roads they had, too.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Me too. I have a Rand McNally and a National Geographic road Atlas, both claiming United States and Canada but the Canadian provinces barely get any respect outside of the major metropolitan areas.

That's because outside the major metropolitan areas, there's not much of anything up here, except forests and rocks and muskeg and assorted wildlife, some benign and some dangerous, and an occasional passable road. Since we aren't a major world power in terms of military strength (our armed forces total around 100,000, including reserves) we rely largely on stealth and secrecy as our main defensive strategy. That includes creating maps with very little detail on where we are at any given moment, and where we're hiding the maple syrup. Our most famous Canadians don't even want to live here, like Celine Dion, William Shatner, and Jim Carrey (sorry about that last one).
Best bet when traveling in Canada - use a GPS unit with up to date maps and POIs. Although a good paper map from 1970 will still be pretty accurate, considering our limited new infrastructure spending since Trudeau's father was PM.
Know roughly where you want to end up, and then run a test route through your GPS to see what it will actually take in terms of time and distance. Up here the shortest distance from A to B sometimes involves the other 24 letters of the alphabet.
:R
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I still use a 2011 Trailer Life RV Road Atlas which has excellent detail on Canada.

If you're close to a Camping World, pop in and check their Road Atlas. It might be similar since they published Trailer Life, I believe.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/2017-good-sam-auto-rv-road-atlas/90243
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Me too. I have a Rand McNally and a National Geographic road Atlas, both claiming United States and Canada but the Canadian provinces barely get any respect outside of the major metropolitan areas.