cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Elkhart County Fairgrounds, IN

Merrythought
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone who has stayed at the Elkhart County Fairgrounds in Goshen tell me how loud the trains are? We are considering attending a rally there and need suggestions on which campsites are far away from the trains. TIA!
10 REPLIES 10

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
It has gotten less noisy as trees have grown some along the tracks, as said it depends where you are on the fairgrounds, we go there at least once a year for the FROG Rally and have gotten used to the trains. Also heard they are building some overpasses to lessen the crossings which also lesson the amount they blow their horn
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed there a few times. Trains didn't bother us, but of course, my "other" hobby is model railroading and just sitting and watching trains pass. So any train noise was actually quite appealing for me.

Here's some photos of from the fairgrounds. We've been there for a few events and when we were there, we were parked closer to the building near the event. They have hook-ups all over the place, and usually they assign you to a spot, depending on what you are there for. If you are there for an event, they will park you near the event, along the roads between the buildings. If you are there just passing through on your own, you'll probably end up in the actual campground.

Or, you may end up parked along the race track too. Anywhere is possible:

Event camping: (This was a few years ago with our previous camper). One water spigot was shared between 10 different campers. Everyone kept adding on another Y adaptor and everyone had water and sewer. It was a strangely wonderful experience:

Here's another camping area, near the "infield" (race track). Actually, this array of campers was VERY impressive!

On another visit, we were not there for an "event" and we were put in the main campground area. On the other side of that tree line are the railroad tracks. The below photos are suppose to be a panorama type of photo array. That 5er is not mine:

Like I said, the rail road tracks are on the other side of those trees.

This our our camp site. If you look in the background, you can see some of the white buildings, where they park the campers for events:

Here was our spot, facing the other direction. See the tree line? That's the railroad tracks:

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed there for 5 nights last year and didn't even know there was any trains so apparently it did not bother us at all.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a week there last year. We were about 6 spaces from the north side of the campground. The trains didn't bother us at all. Our coach is well insulated. I didn't hear anybody complaining about the noise.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Goshen is my hometown. I grew up with the trains. BUT I don't like camping next to the tracks. It depends on where you are on the grounds. With a lot of rigs there, if you are somewhere in the middle, the effect will be lessened and tolerable. I have seen people parked with their rigs right up against the rail line. . . those were mostly vendors.

Remember this is the busiest rail corridor in the northeast with a train every 12 minutes I think. So it's not the "occasional" train. . . it is constant train traffic. We had a small rally there once and while we were all around the campfire, we had to stop talking when a train came through because you couldn't hear anyone talk. But like I said, with a large rally, the sound doesn't travel as far. We do lots of rallies there and have a good time, trains and all. Reserve a site with electric and run your overhead A/C fan. . .it lessens the noise.

I have never noticed problems inside any of the buildings, like when you are having an event. . . the noise seems to be minimal.

We used to stay there when we would come into the area, but transients are not given dibs on the actual campground. . . they kept putting us out by the horse barn, so we quit going except during rallies.

You will have fun at the rally, trains and all.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Have ear plugs to use while sleeping.
I went to one rally there and not planning to ever go back for another one.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Merrythought
Explorer
Explorer
My reason for asking is that we stayed in a campground in PA where train tracks were across the river and actually shook the RV when going by. We have stayed many places where trains go by without any shaking issues. I have heard horror stories from folks about the Elkhart County fairgrounds and was looking for real life experiences to know what to expect. Did NOT need to be told to โ€œget over it.โ€

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Train noise is a fact of life on Elkhart. As one who lived for year less than a mile from a main line I can say you get used to it pretty quick!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There was train noise? ๐Ÿ™‚

The tracks are on the south side. If trains aren't soothing to you, stay on the opposite side.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
They are all about the same...mainline, lots of train music.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843