cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hauling a SxS in your truck

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I recently sold my ATV and will be getting a "trail" model SxS, you know one of those 50" wide ones. Well my current set up isn't going to work. I've been looking at 3/4 ton long bed trucks to be able to haul the SxS and tow my camper or selling my camper and buying a small class A or C. I prefer the truck idea since I would still have transportation without having to tear down camp. If I did the A or C I would obviously be pulling a trailer with the SxS on it.

Do any of you do such a thing and if you do how does it work for you? I have been looking at the Polaris RZR Trail and the Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail if that matters.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado
16 REPLIES 16

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
It's easier if you have a long bed truck. I take the tailgate off my truck, my wife's RZR S is snug at 60" wide and hangs over the bed about 6". My RZR XP 1000 goes in the Toy hauler as it is 72" wide.
2023 Ford F450 Lariat, 6.7 H.O., 10 Speed

2018 Grand Design Momentum 394
2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs
A Super AWESOME Wife of 38 years

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
I hauled my 50 inch RZR all over the Western US in the back of my short bed Ram and pulled a 22 ft Jayco TT. Used a 2 ft hitch extension and tail gate down. Used the 2x12 s and backed the rzr in. Did this for over 20,000 miles and 3 years.

Now I have a toy hauler but still load the RZR in the truck to get to trail heads that are distant from the camp. I backed my RZR in to keep weight off tail gate - scary at 1st but I got used to it.

Bedlam
I-Can-Am-Can-You wrote:
Right on. I should have explained in my original post that the Wildcat Trail is a bit longer than the 50โ€ RZR (9 1/4โ€™ long) and the Team clutch is not conducive to this activity, even with a Speedworx throttle spring. Jumpy little animals.

I knew some were longer than the bed which is why I suggested the cab over rack or receiver extension.

I suggest you keep one foot on the brake while using the other on the throttle until your CVT engages to get a smooth take off without harsh engagement. There are CVT adjustments you can do to change this, but I am not familiar enough with your setup for specific help.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I haul the RZR in the truck, and tie the tailgate up to clear the trailer.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

I-Can-Am-Can-Yo
Explorer
Explorer
seagrace wrote:
I-Can-Am-Can-You wrote:
I have a Wildcat Trail that I pull on a trailer behind a Class C. I worry about loading and unloading. Loading it in or on a truck bed I imagine would be doable, but not fun and would require really long ramps and a winch or a pair of brass b@lls. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™d want do it frequently. If you plan to drive a wildcat up into a truck bed, make sure you have someone taking video ๐Ÿ˜‰

I actually did this on a Colorado vacation last summer. I parked the TH at a campground in Ouray, and in order to get to the trailhead, I had to load the cat up into the truck. Not fun, and I would not do it again unless I absolutely have to.

So, I purchased two 2x12 boards and some tailgate support bars. I've seen people back in, but I'm not that confident. I pulled in straight using my old folding ramp. You do need a longer ramp for the angle, or find a hill/low spot you can use. I was only hauling it about a mile, and while it worked, it wasn't a comfortable feeling.

Right on. I should have explained in my original post that the Wildcat Trail is a bit longer than the 50โ€ RZR (9 1/4โ€™ long) and the Team clutch is not conducive to this activity, even with a Speedworx throttle spring. Jumpy little animals.

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
I-Can-Am-Can-You wrote:
I have a Wildcat Trail that I pull on a trailer behind a Class C. I worry about loading and unloading. Loading it in or on a truck bed I imagine would be doable, but not fun and would require really long ramps and a winch or a pair of brass b@lls. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™d want do it frequently. If you plan to drive a wildcat up into a truck bed, make sure you have someone taking video ๐Ÿ˜‰

I actually did this on a Colorado vacation last summer. I parked the TH at a campground in Ouray, and in order to get to the trailhead, I had to load the cat up into the truck. Not fun, and I would not do it again unless I absolutely have to.

So, I purchased two 2x12 boards and some tailgate support bars. I've seen people back in, but I'm not that confident. I pulled in straight using my old folding ramp. You do need a longer ramp for the angle, or find a hill/low spot you can use. I was only hauling it about a mile, and while it worked, it wasn't a comfortable feeling.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer

I haul my RZRs in the bed of a 2004 Chevy 2500 short bed and pull the truck with my DP.

I loved my TC with trailer and the TH worked well but the wife prefers travel in the DP.

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of in the bed not on the bed, they sit way up there when on the bed.

The 2500s can have up to, some over, 3000lbs payload which would be more than enough for my needs, I've been looking at used gas models. I guess I shouldn't rule out a one ton though.

I guess I should have worded my original post differently, I'm more curious how well a RZR or Wildcat would fit in a long bed.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate y'alls input.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the guys over on the Grand Design forum thought he was "golden" when he set up his 2500HD with ramps for his Goldwing and went shopping for a travel trailer to pull behind the truck. The group convinced him to load the bike, fill the tank, pile his family in, and head for the CAT scales. A small pop-up or Casita is all the payload he had left to haul. Consider at least an SRW F350/3500HD if you don't go for a toy hauler. You won't be sorry.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a guy that just drives it up on ramps and into the truck bed
YouTube

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond Back bed covers
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

I-Can-Am-Can-Yo
Explorer
Explorer

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend sort of hauls his on top of the bed. He bought strong aluminum cover for the bed. The Razr goes on top and he has plenty of extra storage under the aluminum cover in the bed.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Bedlam
1. There are UTV bed racks that allow you to run the UTV tires over the top of the cab. This will give you a tall height with more weight located higher than you are used to. When sizing trucks, look at the weight of the UTV, rack, gear, people and hitch weight so you do not go over axle or wheel weights.

2. Torklift makes a SuperHitch receiver designed to tow heavy trailers on a double truss extension. This allows you to carry the narrow UTV in the bed, yet extend the trailer far enough back so the 9-10' UTV does not interfere with the trailer. You still need to take in account the items listed above when sizing the truck, but now you have to add the additional weight of the SuperHitch and SuperTruss instead of the UTV bed rack. With the UTV lower in the truck, it will handle better with a lower CG.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD