cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Jack

ESDA
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any suggestions for a trailer jack for changing a tire on the side of the road in an emergency, for a double axle? I tried driving the good tire onto boards, but due to the type of suspension on the trailer I had to use like 6 boards to get enough lift. Therefore, I don't think the drive on type of wheel lifters will work for me.
19 REPLIES 19

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
myredracer wrote:
We have a Torin double ram bottle jack that extends from 5 1/4" to 14" and fits under an axle even with a flat. It's compact and stored away under the bed.

Umm.. no. Not in my case.

Wished it wasn't so cold and snowy or I would take a photo.

Mine has drop axles, the axle tubes are much lower than the hubs putting the outside of the rim about 2" lower than the axle tubes when the tire is flat.

Even with the tires fully inflated, that jack would be a bit too high and I have to put it offset under the spring towards the spring mounts.

So, not everyone can get away with even a shorty bottle jack.

Which is why I mentioned low profile trolley jacks or even scissor jacks.

At home, I use a big floor jack under the trailer frame because of the drop axles, just makes the job easier.

Personally, you simply need to practice jacking to figure out what works and what doesn't. What works for one person may not work for another.

Sometimes like in my case, TWO jacks comes in handy, one taller bottle jack for jacking under the frame and a shorter bottle jack or even a scissor jack for under low clearance items like in my case..

My plan is to use the tall bottle jack under the frame to lift the axle high enough to get the short bottle jack under the axle.

Fortunately, I have not needed to try my plan.

Also, must be aware of how your trailer is setting, if you pull off on the berm, one side of the trailer will be heavily leaning.. This can create a dangerous position and trailers are darn heavy.. Jacking the high side with a heavy lean to the low side can be dangerous..

Same goes for having to jack the low side, extra weight will be shifted via COG (Center of Gravity) which can overload your jack..

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I use a screw jack I found at a thrift shop, I think it came from a Dodge pick-up. I shaped a long steel shaft so that one end fits into my 19.2 drill motor, and the other into the rectangle shaped receptical at the bottom of the jack. So the drill will raise the jack really fast and has enough power to lift the TT or Suburban off of the ground. It's also fairly short so it does fit under the axel. Also a lot lighter than the bottle jack.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Torin double ram bottle jack that extends from 5 1/4" to 14" and fits under an axle even with a flat. It's compact and stored away under the bed.

bjlakatos1
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, lifting one wheel doesn't always do the job so I put a bottle jack on the frame by the other wheel. It only takes a little bottle jack to finally lift the wheel.

By doing it this way the lift blocks do about 90% of the lifting and the Jack only does about 10% of the lifting. To me it's much more stable/safer.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Blocks of wood or plastic work well. Bottle jacks are a hassle.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I use the screw jack that came with my F250 placed under a spring perch U bolt. Luckily I haven't had to use it beside the road but I'm well versed if/when the time comes.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
i just use some boards and the scissors jack from my truck. Works great. At home I just use a hydraulic jack. As someone said, test your options at home first in a safe setting to make sure they are feasible.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

IPegasus
Explorer
Explorer
#2 on the Andersen rapid jack.
2015 Chevrolet 2500HD CC LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Reese DC HP, Husky Brute 4500
1999 Wilderness GL 27F

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Experiment at home before trying to figure it out while in traffic.

I use a bottle jack under the frame behind the rear shackle. I can lift both tires on one side with the jack at that position. Since the frame is uneven at that point, I cut a 6" piece of steel angle to go between the frame and jack.

I cannot put a jack under the spring perch, it is too close to ground. Keep in mind when experimenting, with a flat everything will be even closer to the ground.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have spread axles and the same problem. I use a bottle jack between the U bolts. Quick and easy.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Bottle jack under the leaf springs perch between the 'U' bolts

I am NOT going to expose myself to the traffic screaming by while on the side of road any longer then necessary.
Building cribbing high enough to jack on frame is great at home in the driveway but on side of road...no thanks.

Besides---jacking 'under' the springs has no affect on axle hence no need to jack at frame.

Correct.

However, some axles like mine are "drop" axles, which puts the spring perches really low. This creates a problem finding a bottle jack short enough but yet have enough lift to get under the springs with a flat.

OP may need several jacks and some cribbing like me to get around this issue.

For drop axles a scissors type jack or a low profile trolley jack may need to be used with a flat.. Or you may need to use a tall bottle jack with some cribbing to jack up under the frame in order to get enough clearance for a scissor or trolley jack to fit under the perches.

Good idea to "test" your jack placement in your driveway.

You can measure your clearance with a inflated tire then subtract the height of the sidewall to see if you have enough room for a jack under the perches.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a bottle jack. If your trailer has a leveling system, use that.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a bottle jack under the "U" shackle.
I don't trust the thin base of the bottle jack so I made a ply wood base that clamps on to the jack base.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Bottle jack under the leaf springs perch between the 'U' bolts

I am NOT going to expose myself to the traffic screaming by while on the side of road any longer then necessary.
Building cribbing high enough to jack on frame is great at home in the driveway but on side of road...no thanks.

Besides---jacking 'under' the springs has no affect on axle hence no need to jack at frame.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31