cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning Out West South Route

sedwheathome
Explorer
Explorer
Planning our 9 day trip from KY to Out West (South route) for June '19. It will be busy and fast, but the best we can do (due to work schedules). Destinations: Bryce, Zion, South Rim of Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, & Vegas (maybe Arches as we are going in). Strategic planning (if that the best word for it) will have to happen with long drives going & coming (we're good for that) at max our times at the parks. Bringing I-70 in and taking I-40 back home.

Unfortunately (because of time), we'll not bring camper so looking for suggestions on camping resorts w/cabins &/or cabin resorts. Also the "must-sees" or "must-dos" at Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon. Greatly appreciate advice. The forum guided our Northern Out West trip. Chunking out the map on a work schedule ๐Ÿ™‚ Would LOVE to see Monument Valley...but really no time.
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Turbo Diesel
2011 Jayco Eagle RKS313
Daddy, Mommy, and our boy, Jacob (8 yrs old)

***Off to see the United States of America***
14 REPLIES 14

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
OP?

Did you get any help from this Post?

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Your profile says "RVing since 1970" and the map in your sig shows you've seen a good bit of the Country so I'll assume you know what you're getting into. Busskipper has thrown out some (to me) reasonable suggestions. Before retirement, we were often in your position so I understand where you're coming from. We've done it and would do so again under similar circumstances.

We're several hours east of you and love visiting the southwest. One loop we made when time was limited was I40 out to Amarillo for a couple of days at Palo Duro Canyon State Park - take in the play Texas while you're there. Then onto Carlsbad New Mexico for the Caverns - Brantley Lake State Park is nice and we also enjoyed staying at Dog Canyon campground in Guadalupe Mountain National Park. Next, down to Big Bend National Park with a stop at Balmorhea State Park (kid will love the 1.5 acre swimming pool). Big Bend will be hot so I'd suggest the generator section of the RGV Park Service campground (not the concession RGV which is nearby and a parking lot). You won't have the jaw dropping views of southern Utah but this ain't bad and its doable in the time frame you have WITH your camper.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please don't do this. You will spend a long day just getting to the Mississippi River and back. Leaves you 8 days. Please fly if the budget permits.
Puma 30RKSS

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Yet one more voice in the crowd strongly urging you to fly to Las Vegas, SLC, etc. and rent a car. The current estimate is that it costs $0.60 per mile to drive your car. With a 5000 mile trip, that's $3000. Flying and renting will surely be less than that and save all those miles on your vehicle.

As noted, it will be hot in June in Utah. Get out early and late, finding something cool to do midday. At Zion, that might mean wading up the Narrows. Bryce is higher so cooler, as is the GC.

At all three parks, there is lodging right in side the park at some great old lodges, although getting a reservation means paying close attention to when the reservation withdow opens and getting on line right away. There are both rooms in the old lodges plus cabins.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first RV trip with the then kids took us to most of those places. The difference between what you propose & what we did is that we rented a Class C. Our start/finish was Denver. We had 15 days. We came back busted. Way overextended ourselves. Tired of hearing "Are we there yet?"
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Five days one way??? I'm getting up in years BUT I still do the 1500 miles to CO in two days doing all the driving. With two drivers and starting Friday night I would be in Denver Saturday afternoon from GA and the OP is in KY.

I agree as planned it's going to be a lot of driving and flying into Vegas since they are not taking the RiV would not be that expensive for the time it will save .
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is about 5 days driving each way. You have 9 days so you will be doing nothing but driving and turning around and driving home.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I know it is not what you ask for, but I would also recommend flying into to one city and out another. That would save you at least 4 days or more of driving time just going and coming. Fly into Salt Lake and be in Bryce Canyon on day 1.

A number of years ago we flew into Salt Lake City, rented a car one way, drove thru Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Little Bighorn battlefield, Devilโ€™s Tower, Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument, and flew out of Denver in a 9 day trip. Like you due to limited time available. Only stayed in same hotel 2 nights twice. That was 4 adults. Saw a lot but would not do it again. Airfare was no more than a standard round trip fare. And one way car rental difference was minimal since pickup and drop off were both major cities.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
sedwheathome wrote:
Planning our 9 day trip from KY to Out West (South route) for June '19. It will be busy and fast, but the best we can do (due to work schedules). Destinations: Bryce, Zion, South Rim of Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, & Vegas (maybe Arches as we are going in). Strategic planning (if that the best word for it) will have to happen with long drives going & coming (we're good for that) at max our times at the parks. Bringing I-70 in and taking I-40 back home.

Unfortunately (because of time), we'll not bring camper so looking for suggestions on camping resorts w/cabins &/or cabin resorts. Also the "must-sees" or "must-dos" at Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon. Greatly appreciate advice. The forum guided our Northern Out West trip. Chunking out the map on a work schedule ๐Ÿ™‚ Would LOVE to see Monument Valley...but really no time.

Sorry but this is just crazy - not the trip but the fact that with little time off you are not using two weekend????????

Unless you are a weekend worker I'd look at getting a Friday start - say after work jump in the car - and beat feet out I-70 then using two weekends you can get more time with 5 days off not 7.

So help me out - is it me or?

Also this is the Hot season in Utah - 100+ degrees.

OK, all that out of the way, Possible to do North Rim and not the South - saves some time and opens more up for at least a drive by.

Get off I-70 at exit 214 in Utah to see RT 128 and Moab, them to a Quick Drive thru of Capitol Reef NP and Goblins SP - they are on the way to Bryce, so if it's not dark drive By.

Again RT 12 Kodachrome and Escalante SP's on the way to Bryce - Drive the Rim Take a Hike - then on to Zion, Problem is once you get to Golden, Co you will want to drive during the daylight hours or you will miss a lot - I Mean a WHOLE LOT - so get in bed right after Sunset and get up to see the Sunrise - Hike, early while cool in the Morning and Drive during the heat of the day - repeat at night, Hiking to a great spot to see the Sunset then get some sleep and repeat.

So 1,200 miles to Golden Colorado where for all practical purposes the trip will begin. If you do my Friday departure, and with two drivers you will arrive in Golden way before or for the Sunset on Saturday Night, as you are on the edge of the Rockies Sun Sets an hour early Early - as it slides down behind the Mountains. (Keep in mind going out you get at least 1 free hour so)

Up early - I'd stay in a Hotel in Golden right on the Creek - but getting up early, before Sunrise Head out RT6 through the Canyon, sun will be at your Back shining on the walls of the Canyon, to Idaho Springs, joining back up with I-70 then through the tunnel, Trust me the drive is worth it, and not that much of a time difference that I-70. (Son live outside Denver and does this to Ski all the time)

If you got up early and want to see a little of the Pure Beauty of Colorado jump off on RT 91 to Leadville - then RT 24 past Camp Hale/RedCliff/Minturn - before catching I-70 again -this is Colorado, if you did as needed and got up before Sunrise, you will have time Daylight) to make it the stop at Fruita/Capitol Reef. - MAP

I understand that a lot of what I am pointing out ins not on your itinerary but it is on the way and with all this car/windshield time might as well get some eye Candy.

Now the Drive off I-70 to RT 128 is Special - RT 128 - then if time looks good maybe even a quick drive through Arches then on to Goblins and Fruita.

So look this over - Hotel in Golden - Motel's in Fruita - chek ahead to see if reservations are needed.

Before i do the part of the trip yu may have already researched let me know if I am on the right track - did trips like this when I was young so yes it can be done.

When Driving My Son to LA for a summer internship three of us did Annapolis to Moab in 30 hours/2,100 miles - stupid but doable.

Let me Know.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would leave off Vegas and Hoover unless you fly in and rent a car. If you insist on driving...leave Friday night assuming two drivers. I would substitute the N Rim and if you cannot get reservations at the Rim stay at the motel at Jacob Lake.
Last summer my son and family flew into Vegas and out of Billings doing Zion, N Rim, Bryce, Moab, RMNP from Grand Lake, Tetons/Ystone, & Cody in 10 days. Not my idea of fun but you do what you have to do. They had a great trip.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
Why on earth, given your tight schedule, would you waste time driving cross-country? Fly into Vegas, Flagstaff, or Salt Lake City, rent a car, see the area, and fly back home (do an "open-jaw" flight plan; arrive at one, leave from the other). Far better than torturing yourself and your kids as the yawning Great Plains roll by--TWICE. Also, you'll have 4-5 more days to see the sights than you would if you drove.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
That's not a vacation. It's torture. No one will enjoy the trip.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please don't do this to your son -- don't ask me how I know that young kids will hate that kind of daily mileage. (I wish I could get a do-over on some of the trips I forced them into taking.)

If I understand you correctly, you want to travel more than 4000 miles in 9 days, or 450 miles a day, not even counting time for stops along the way.

I would strongly recommend either that you fly out west and rent a car, or else scale back on the trip a lot.

Don't do what I did.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Racing long distances and staying in cabins/motels just doesnโ€™t ring my bell. Iโ€™d concentrate on the GC and Monument Valley.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad