Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Smoke Hollow Gas Grill
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> New Smoke Hollow Gas Grill

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Tal/IL

Central Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/18 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had one of these for a couple years and like it very much. It is a little dependent on ambient temp and amount of wind, but I have sometimes been able to maintain a +/- 200 degree temp by just using the smoke tray burner.

Great for putting some smoke on burgers or steaks, also.

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/18 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tal/IL wrote:

I've had one of these for a couple years and like it very much. It is a little dependent on ambient temp and amount of wind, but I have sometimes been able to maintain a +/- 200 degree temp by just using the smoke tray burner.

Great for putting some smoke on burgers or steaks, also.

See......That's what I was thinking could be an option...using the smoke burner only to do the heating.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali, stock....for now. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/300 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/18 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they are fun to assemble. In the past I have made smoke using chips and aluminum foil. The smoking option intrigue me. I managed to sacrifice a duck to the smoking gods on my first try.

Not knowing any better I used just the smoking burner. It smoked for an hour. So I refilled and went another hour. The temperature was about 170. Hum… it needs a bit of browning me thinks. So I lit the other burners and thought maybe twenty minutes would do the trick. The smoking gods felt sorry for me and left just enough over done meat for one person. The drum stick bones turned to ash when touched.

Last night, with one burner, I experimented with baking a potato first. When done I put it on the side with no heat and made a great steak on the hot side. It all worked out as planned.

I really like this grill. I may remove the shelves also to save space. Never thought about doing that. I bought two 10lb LP tanks to save some storage space.

2011 Four Winds Chateau 28a
2015 GMC Terrane AWD

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/18 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage 465....Thanks for the link. Great job!

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/18 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Vintage 465....Thanks for the link. Great job!

Thanks! I've actually put an upgrade on it. The single burner stove below is a little wobbly when I put a giant pot of coffee on it. They are designed to run "unregulated" propane pressure.
[image]

So I put a hole in the table and fabricated a mount that has a propane hook up to run off the high pressure line. The mount keeps the burner nice and stable on the table(?)so I can boil water to make cowboy coffee when the crowds get large
[image]

southstanley

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice setup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> New Smoke Hollow Gas Grill
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS