cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WARNING..... 500.00 FALSE PESO BILLS

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There has been a rash of counterfeit 500.00 peso bills that originated in the State of Sinaloa, even the banks are getting them and are placing them in the ATM machines in the banks.

My nephew withdrew 1000.00 pesos last Friday at the ATM inside a Scotia Bank at the banks lobby and was handed two 500.00 counterfeit peso bills by the machine.

How to determine that the bills are false?

1. The first indication is the feel of the bill, paper is totally different in texture, real bill is a little coarse and the counterfeit very smooth.

2. On the real bill and on the same side where the picture of Diego Rivera (he is wearing glasses, reverse side is Frida Kahlo) running your nail on the picture you will feel the small ridges on the cheek or the forehead also on the collar and suit.
The counterfeit bill is completely smooth and does not show as well the small ridges on the face or suit.

3. On the side where the picture of Diego Rivera, on the left side there is a band of broken small squares, these are small holograms that change with movement and are smooth to the touch.
The counterfeit bills have the band of squares and have a rough feel and are encrusted with small stones or glass to reflect light, they do not move or change with the movement of the paper, only reflect small glints of light, reflections of the small pieces of glass.

4. The bills are 2 to 3 Millimeters or about 1/16" of an inch smaller.

5. Check the bills BEFORE YOU EXIT THE BANK and immediately ask the bank to check the rest of the ATM bills, once you leave the bank you can not prove that you took the cash from the ATM, and make sure that you print out the receipt to prove the transaction, some banks do not print automatically you need to say yes at the prompt, also make sure that you are seen by the banks CCTV cameras, and make a stink about it also make sure at the OXXO stores or Walmart or wherever you receive cash as change that the bills are real.

navegator
16 REPLIES 16

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The blue 20P were first, followed by the red 50's. They claim the polymer lasts longer than paper but I see the print being rubbed off the 20's. That's why different value banknotes are different in length.

Talleyho69
Which Mexican bills are polimer?

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information, I will be getting one in the coming days.

navegator

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
There is no guarantee with counterfeit bills although I agree on using a bank machine but not only in Mexico but any country.

The best security is to stop by an Office Depot in Mexico and buy a marker which is good on Mexican (and American) non-polimer bills, 100, 200, 500, 1000.

Counterfeit Marker available at Office Depot in Mexico.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Neese got the 100.00 pesos today in exchange for the 2 counterfit bills that the bank's ATM macines were dispensing, the bank does not service the machines themselfs, they contract with an armored vehicle company, so stay away from independent ATM's and try to use the machines at a bank that the bank employees service.

I also comfirmed that yesterday with my bank that there are a lot of counter fit 500.00 peso bills and 200.00 peso bills floating arround, so heads up do not get scamed.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A merchant showed me a falso twenty with Andrew Jackson on it. There is an undercurrent of phony US dollars used in change at tourist centers. Break a 100 note then flop in some 20 dollar counterfeits. Take care.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE 500 COUNTERFIT BILLS

The bank did investigate the issue, nephew got his money and the bank did use a currency company that services the ATM machines and that company is now in hot water, that is all that we know.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I remember my "Grand Return" to San Blas after a 13 year lapse. As I drove into town I saw huge gouge marks on the pavement "What The Hey?"

The owner of the Posada Toledo explained the marks "The armored car company that services the machines returned after midnight, threw a chain around the machine, and jerked it out of the wall up and over the concrete posts and down the street. The noise was so bad everyone came outside looking and saw it was an armored car and were amazed".

I never found out any more about it. That was early in 1993.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Spasdic Fantastic

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
An investigation has been started by the Scotia bank, it is not the only ATM machine that has had counterfeit money several others have been also targeted, apparently the personnel from the company that services the ATMs have been passing the counterfeit notes, will update as information is received.

Went to my CitiBanamex branch today, while at the bank I asked who serviced the ATM machines in the banks lobby, CitiBanamex employees service the banks machines but not the machines outside the banks located in malls or stores those are done by one independent company.

navegator

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Any ATM that is not within a bank's premises will not be claimed by the store, be aware of the change given to you by the ATM machines, I do not use ATMs at any location as in Walmart, Costco, Comercial Mexicana any and all ATMS that are located outside of a bank, and even at the bank you get funny money.

Just be aware of the money handed to you by the machines, the counterfeit money was detected at the end of November in the State of Sinaloa and the distributions has spread to more States,

Upon looking at it with out having an authentic note it is easy to believe that it is the real McCoy they are that good, I have seen the two bills that my nephew got and compared to the real notes that we have they are close but no tamales, until you feel the note and the square bars and the printed figure does one realize that you got counterfeit bills.

These notes are as good as the counterfeit Dollars printed in North Corea or Colombia.

navegator

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check ours next month

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
The OXXO's will not claim the ATM as theirs they say private company owns them. That has been my experience.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Tomorrow he is going back to the branch with the wife that is the primary holder of the account to resolve the issue, as soon as I get the info I will post the resolution.

navegator